Tetraglot
Germany
Joined 5254 days ago

23 posts - 31 votes
Speaks: German*, Czech, French, English
Studies: Hungarian

Message 9 of 43
03 June 2010 at 10:29pm | IP Logged 
The craziest thing in Hungarian ist the definite article "a" ("az" before a vowel), because in French and English, it sounds almost the same "un" or "a", but they are the indefinite article. So every time I hear or read "a" in Hungarian, it is connected in my brain to the indefinite article.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Derian
Triglot
PolandRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5122 days ago

227 posts - 464 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English, German
Studies: Spanish, Russian, Czech, French, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 10 of 43
03 June 2010 at 10:47pm | IP Logged 
Oh, the Hungarian spelling is also confusing.
The Hungarian 's' and 'sz' are pronounced the other way around than they are in Polish, and all other languages (that have a 'sz', 'sh' or a 'sch').

Edited by Derian on 03 June 2010 at 10:49pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

ReneeMona
Diglot
Netherlands
Joined 5149 days ago

864 posts - 1274 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, EnglishC2
Studies: French

Message 11 of 43
04 June 2010 at 12:03am | IP Logged 
I still have trouble negating things in French sometimes because you have to add ne before the verb and pas (not), jamais (never) etc, behind it. I'm so used to just adding not/niet that I often forget one of the two.

Strangely enough, I've never been bothered by the word je meaning you in Dutch and I in French.
1 person has voted this message useful

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6970 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 12 of 43
04 June 2010 at 1:26am | IP Logged 
Derian wrote:
Chung wrote:
I sometimes forget to use "-ko/-kö" in Finnish because [U]my brain has noted that I've marked the question already by using rising intonation[/U] or a question mark per conventions in languages other than Finnish.

That's exactly the thing.

Yet it doesn't seem to be exactly the same. Judging by your post it's not clear whether Japanese calls for rising intonation in a question with "ka" (I don't know Japanese so feel free to enlighten me here).

The thing with Finnish is that by adding the suffix -ko/-kö it's been indicated that the statement is a question. It is not codified or deemed necessary by native-speakers of Finnish to raise intonation as well (although it's still deemed necessary to use a question mark at the end).

Therefore in prescribed oral Finnish "Puhutko englantia?" ("Do you speak English?") has the same intonation as "Puhut englantia" ("You speak English".). That intonation is the one associated in many other languages just with making a statement or declaration (i.e. the intonation which falls as the sentence progresses).

Here's a mistake that I made quite often when I started learning Finnish.

e.g. Translate "Is Sanna at home?"

1) On Sanna kotona?

It's wrong in print by omitting -ko ending attached to "On" at the beginning (in other languages that I know, questions are often formed by letting the verb go near the beginning of the sentence and using a question mark at the end. Using a dedicated interrogative suffix did not occur to me initially. In speech I could make a second error with this sentence by using it with rising intonation toward the end.

2) Onko Sanna kotona?

It's correct in print but can be wrong in speech when my intonation rises toward the end. This second question is totally correct ONLY when my intonation does NOT rise at the end AND when I include "-ko". Obviously it took some practice for me to get better at using Finnish questions.

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6970 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 13 of 43
04 June 2010 at 1:26am | IP Logged 
michamotor wrote:
The craziest thing in Hungarian ist the definite article "a" ("az" before a vowel), because in French and English, it sounds almost the same "un" or "a", but they are the indefinite article. So every time I hear or read "a" in Hungarian, it is connected in my brain to the indefinite article.

I got thrown off by this initially but surprisingly got used to it quite quickly.

DassiD
Pentaglot
Norway
Joined 5134 days ago

7 posts - 9 votes
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, Swedish, Danish, German

Message 14 of 43
04 June 2010 at 3:52am | IP Logged 
Norwegian verb placement versus German:
Since the second verb in a German sentence comes last in infintive form, I have had some
problems adapting.

Norwegian: "Jeg vil gjerne kjøpe bordet"(I would like to buy the table)
German: "Ich möchte gern der Tisch kaufen"(I would like to the table buy)

But I've learned it now :)
2 persons have voted this message useful

Luai_lashire
Diglot
United States
luai-lashire.deviant
Joined 5642 days ago

384 posts - 560 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto
Studies: Japanese, French

Message 15 of 43
05 June 2010 at 7:05pm | IP Logged 
Chung wrote:
Derian wrote:
Chung wrote:
I sometimes forget to use "-ko/-kö" in Finnish because my
brain has noted that I've marked the question already by using rising intonation
or a question mark per
conventions in languages other than Finnish.

That's exactly the thing.

Yet it doesn't seem to be exactly the same. Judging by your post it's not clear whether Japanese calls for rising
intonation in a question with "ka" (I don't know Japanese so feel free to enlighten me here).

Yep, Japanese does call for a rising intonation, and actually in very casual speech it's pretty common to drop the
"ka" marker. There are a lot of things that get dropped in casual speech and there's fairly complicated rules for it.
2 persons have voted this message useful

karaipyhare
Tetraglot
Groupie
Paraguay
Joined 5399 days ago

74 posts - 150 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese, Spanish*, English, Guarani
Studies: German, Italian, French, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 16 of 43
07 June 2010 at 4:01pm | IP Logged 
DassiD wrote:
Norwegian verb placement versus German:
Since the second verb in a German sentence comes last in infintive form, I have had
some
problems adapting.

Norwegian: "Jeg vil gjerne kjøpe bordet"(I would like to buy the table)
German: "Ich möchte gern der Tisch kaufen"(I would like to the table buy)

But I've learned it now :)

"Ich möchte gern DEN Tisch kaufen"

masculine accusative! oohh such a headache

This discussion contains 43 messages over 6 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version