tracker465
United States
Joined 5150 days ago

355 posts - 496 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Spanish, Dutch

Message 1 of 18
07 June 2010 at 7:30am | IP Logged 
Tonight I was pondering on the relationships between English, Dutch and German, and I began to wonder about words that are still used frequently in modern Dutch or German, yet have equivalents in English, that are overly archaic. Due to William the Conquerer and the great French influence on English, I realize that there are many words which were in use in Old English, yet disappeared by the time Middle English came about. Therefore, I am primarily interested in words which initially survived after the French influence, i.e. from Middle English onward.

For example, I was thinking about the Dutch/German verb pair, begrijfen/begreifen (to understand/comprehend). What would the English equivalent be, to grip, to grasp, something entirely different?
1 person has voted this message useful

ReneeMona
Diglot
Netherlands
Joined 5133 days ago

864 posts - 1274 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, EnglishC2
Studies: French

Message 2 of 18
07 June 2010 at 8:49am | IP Logged 
Well, Dutch 'begrijpen' already has the word for 'to grasp' in there; 'grijpen' and considering the similarities of grijpen/grip/greifen I think they're probably related in some way with Dutch and English having retained the original p while it changed to an f in German under influence of Grimm's law.

tracker465
United States
Joined 5150 days ago

355 posts - 496 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Spanish, Dutch

Message 3 of 18
08 June 2010 at 6:53am | IP Logged 
ReneeMona wrote:
Well, Dutch 'begrijpen' already has the word for 'to grasp' in there; 'grijpen' and considering the similarities of grijpen/grip/greifen I think they're probably related in some way with Dutch and English having retained the original p while it changed to an f in German under influence of Grimm's law.

Are you aware of if there is an English equivalent to begrijpen? Another word which I wonder about is blijven, bleiben, ??? in English.

nimchimpsky
Diglot
Groupie
Netherlands
Joined 5409 days ago

73 posts - 108 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English

Message 4 of 18
09 June 2010 at 10:03am | IP Logged 
I don't know if my example is correct, but i was very suprised when i read the word frolic in an English novel. I,m not a native speaker of English but to me that word sounds archaic. However in Dutch it is a frequently used word.

Edited by nimchimpsky on 09 June 2010 at 10:07am

Captain Haddock
Diglot
Japan
kanjicabinet.tumblr.
Joined 6566 days ago

2282 posts - 2814 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: French, Korean, Ancient Greek

Message 5 of 18
09 June 2010 at 1:51pm | IP Logged 
"Frolic" is not archaic at all.

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6237 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 6 of 18
09 June 2010 at 1:59pm | IP Logged 
nimchimpsky wrote:
I don't know if my example is correct, but i was very suprised when i read the word frolic in an English novel. I,m not a native speaker of English but to me that word sounds archaic. However in Dutch it is a frequently used word.

It doesn't sound archaic to me, but it isn't extremely frequent. That said, I use it fairly regularly - I know a dog who absolutely frolics when he's let off-leash on a grassy area. There's no other word which is close to describing it.

modus.irrealis
Bilingual Triglot
Canada
Joined 5676 days ago

29 posts - 37 votes
Speaks: English*, Greek*, French
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Danish, Turkish

Message 7 of 18
11 June 2010 at 12:36am | IP Logged 
Very interesting topic - made me do some research.

tracker465 wrote:
Are you aware of if there is an English equivalent to begrijpen? Another word which I wonder about is blijven, bleiben, ??? in English.

The OED has the obsolete verb begripe (meaning "catch hold of") related to begreifen/begrijpen.

For bleiben/blijven the OED has the obsolete belive/blive ("to remain"). Leave is derived from this live and there's also the obsolete beleave which the OED said replaced belive before itself becoming obsolete.
6 persons have voted this message useful

Random review
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5581 days ago

781 posts - 1310 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Portuguese, Mandarin, Yiddish, German

Message 8 of 18
04 August 2010 at 5:18pm | IP Logged 
bleiben = stay in German, which at first seems the OPPOSITE of to leave, but think of "left behind" or "left-overs".

Speaking of leave, another example of what the OP was looking for is Urlaub = holiday in German, remove the Ur (German does so love those prefixes) and you have a cognate of "leave" as in "on leave." Another is Blatt = leaf (blade of grass, anyone?) and the cognate of leaf is Laub, which in German is foliage.
Wissen = wit, which is archaic in English now except for the set-phrase "to wit".
Erzaehlen splits the semantic field of our word tell with sagen (c.f. say), remove the prefix er (those crazy Germans and their prefixes again!) and you can now see that the zaehlen part is cognate with "tell" (compare for instance Zinn = tin, Zehn = ten, or Zoll = customs [think toll]). Of course there is a reason German loves those prefixes, as it uses them to build different words from the same root, here zaehlen on it's own = to count in German. To count? nothing to do with the English verb to tell then? Well yes, actually, think of sentences like, "I have 15 all told." There are just so many examples...

Then there are the "nearly words" (to coin a phrase) like Beerdigung = funeral, which if it DID exist in English would be "be-earthing" pretty good description really. This kind of thing is one of the great joys of German I think. Actually thinking about it this word does exist in English, but in latin rather than Germanic form, presumably the German version is a calque of some original latin word.

4 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 18 messages over 3 pages: 2 3  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version