john1000
United States
Joined 5090 days ago

6 posts - 7 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: French, Russian

Message 1 of 13
13 June 2010 at 2:17am | IP Logged 
I recently read the L-R thread and want to use it to increase my vocab in Russian, but I have some questions still.

I plan to use this with the play Uncle Vanya by Chechov.

1. In step number 2, you listen to the audio and read the text. Is this for the whole play or just until I feel I can recognize the breaks between words?

2. In step number 3, you listen to the audio and read the translation, and repeat this a few times. Do I read the entire play before I repeat, or read a page/scene/act and then repeat that page/scene/act?

3. In step number 4, you listen to the audio and repeat after it. Do I repeat right after it, as in shadowing, or can I pause it and then repeat a line?

-John

Edited by meramarina on 11 September 2010 at 8:41pm

1 person has voted this message useful

RedBeard
United States
atariage.com
Joined 5912 days ago

126 posts - 182 votes 
Speaks: Ancient Greek*
Studies: French, German

Message 2 of 13
16 June 2010 at 4:27am | IP Logged 
Not only do these questions deserve a bump, but there are a few others to add.

On a different post Sprachprofi was asking if one should read the Target Language text in step number 3 (referred to in "2." above). My guess is No. It would appear that you are trying to force your brain to connect the sounds of Target Language to the meanings/readings of Base Language. Is this correct?

Also, my own question: does L-R Method work with about 1 hour per day? I am considering it for my lousy German, but two hours a day (or more) seems extreme. Almost like offering "The Cure For The Common Cold", but a tad too expensive.

So, come on L-R people, put me some f knowledge. In a way it feels like Karate Kid - Mr Miyagi will teach you... and you will be good... but ONLY if you do it his way, Daniel-san. :-)

I am TRULY intrigued by this method.

Edited by RedBeard on 17 June 2010 at 4:53am

RedBeard
United States
atariage.com
Joined 5912 days ago

126 posts - 182 votes 

Message 3 of 13
17 June 2010 at 5:04am | IP Logged 
OK. There is some new info in the other thread >General Discussion >How to spend 120 hours
here

Curiously, it looks like the main work is done listening and reading in the target language. I thought it was otherwise -- I was sure that the original info said to read in Base and listen in Target... :-/

Edited by RedBeard on 17 June 2010 at 5:08am

Splog
Diglot
Czech Republic
anthonylauder.c
Joined 5479 days ago

1062 posts - 3263 votes 
Speaks: English*, Czech
Studies: Mandarin

Message 4 of 13
17 June 2010 at 6:42am | IP Logged 
RedBeard wrote:

Also, my own question: does L-R Method work with about 1 hour per day? I am considering it for my lousy German, but two hours a day (or more) seems extreme.

My experience with L-R is that it is beneficial to do more than an hour. Whenever I spent an hour or less on it, two things happened:

1: I treated it as a "work session" so, in a sense, concentrated too hard
2: I never got into the rhythm of the language

I found that upping the hours actually helps you relax, and bathes your brain in the language and (hopefully) its meaning.

The problem, of course, is that many people do not have enough spare time to spend more than an hour a day on this. Before I retired, my brain was so tired after a long day's work, and I had so little free time, that the multi-hour commitment recommended for L-R would have been impossible.

To be honest, if I only had an hour a day to spare, I would probably to something other than L-R (such as Assimil). Having said that, please don't let me discourage you. The best way to answer your question is to try it out, and see for yourself whether it works for you.

grunts67
Diglot
CanadaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5112 days ago

215 posts - 252 votes 
Speaks: French*, English
Studies: Spanish, Russian

Message 5 of 13
17 June 2010 at 8:36am | IP Logged 
Splog wrote:
RedBeard wrote:

Also, my own question: does L-R Method work with about 1 hour per day? I am considering it for my lousy German, but two hours a day (or more) seems extreme.

My experience with L-R is that it is beneficial to do more than an hour. Whenever I spent an hour or less on it, two things happened:

1: I treated it as a "work session" so, in a sense, concentrated too hard
2: I never got into the rhythm of the language

I found that upping the hours actually helps you relax, and bathes your brain in the language and (hopefully) its meaning.

The problem, of course, is that many people do not have enough spare time to spend more than an hour a day on this. Before I retired, my brain was so tired after a long day's work, and I had so little free time, that the multi-hour commitment recommended for L-R would have been impossible.

To be honest, if I only had an hour a day to spare, I would probably to something other than L-R (such as Assimil). Having said that, please don't let me discourage you. The best way to answer your question is to try it out, and see for yourself whether it works for you.

Could you give us a little more explanation and information about your experience with L-R ? It would be appreciated.

Andy E
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6913 days ago

1651 posts - 1939 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French

Message 6 of 13
17 June 2010 at 9:33am | IP Logged 
RedBeard wrote:
Also, my own question: does L-R Method work with about 1 hour per day? I am considering it for my lousy German, but two hours a day (or more) seems extreme. Almost like offering "The Cure For The Common Cold", but a tad too expensive.

I don't think even two hours per day would be considered enough - it would lack the requried "intensity" - atamagaii talks about 10 to 12 hours a day. This is one of the issues I have with L-R - i.e. I simply don't have that amount of spare time to devote to it. I can't, therefore, prove to myself that it works.

Volte has very kindly produced a L-R roundup thread here. It's worth re-reading some of the older posts on this subject.

RedBeard
United States
atariage.com
Joined 5912 days ago

126 posts - 182 votes 

Message 7 of 13
18 June 2010 at 5:26am | IP Logged 
Wow. I was considering if I could bump my measly 1 hour (from about 19:00 - 20:00 my time) up to 2 hours. But it seems that even then it may be minimal/ineffective. If this is the case, I may need to wait for a three-or-four day weekend to try it out. That would be a shame. But if it works, of course, it would still be wonderful, just less approachable/accessible than I thought at first.

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6249 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 8 of 13
22 June 2010 at 6:41pm | IP Logged 
RedBeard wrote:
Wow. I was considering if I could bump my measly 1 hour (from about 19:00 - 20:00 my time) up to 2 hours. But it seems that even then it may be minimal/ineffective. If this is the case, I may need to wait for a three-or-four day weekend to try it out. That would be a shame. But if it works, of course, it would still be wonderful, just less approachable/accessible than I thought at first.

If you have an hour or less a day, you are much better off using Assimil than L-R.

This discussion contains 13 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version