Language Learning Forum : Language Programs, Books & Tapes Post Reply
36 messages over 5 pages: 1 24 5  Next >>
Great Britain
Joined 5319 days ago

6 posts - 8 votes
Speaks: English*

Message 17 of 36
16 June 2010 at 7:47pm | IP Logged 
Just out of curiosity, how much vocabulary does a Rosetta Stone course teach?
1 person has voted this message useful

zekecoma
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5143 days ago

561 posts - 655 votes 
Studies: German, Spanish

Message 18 of 36
17 June 2010 at 4:10am | IP Logged 
It's not worth the price. I just kept repeating the same crap over and over and it gets
really boring. The voice recognition doesn't work half the time. Doesn't teach you proper
grammar or any at all, you pretty much have to memorise everything on the screen and
that's it. no shortcuts, no tips, no nothing. I think the whole "immerse" stuff is a
bunch of a marketing scheme. I was given RS for free. But I wouldn't suggest buying it or
even trying it.

I learned more from my German book and write fairly basic sentences in 4 weeks than I
ever did in the 3 weeks with RS.

Edited by zekecoma on 17 June 2010 at 4:11am

TheGBiBanana
United States
Joined 5107 days ago

16 posts - 16 votes
Studies: Arabic (classical), Arabic (Iraqi), Arabic (Written)

Message 19 of 36
18 June 2010 at 3:00am | IP Logged 
BlondGirl wrote:

I don't know. Does anybody else have any suggestion on how to respond to this unwelcome BS advice? (Note: I am usually nice, but the 4th time each day I hear it, I am at full-sarcasm-level.)

Just be nice, they don't know of what they speak and they're probably just trying to be helpful or start a conversation or something.

...or on the other hand, you could take their advice and use RS and perfect saying oh so important things like "the ball is red" and "the man is tall" and live happily ever after. ;)

tennisfan
Triglot
United States
Joined 5159 days ago

130 posts - 247 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian, Spanish
Studies: German

Message 20 of 36
19 June 2010 at 4:39am | IP Logged 
The other day, I had lunch with some coworkers, three of which were about to leave for Tokyo for a two week business trip. They were all excited. One of them told me that he had purchased Rosetta Stone so that he could "learn" Japanese. He then turned to one of the others and said, "now how do I say it again? o-hay-o go-zai-ma-s?"

I cringed. Either he spent all that money on Rosetta Stone with such little results, or he spent all that money on Rosetta Stone and was so turned off by it that he couldn't get past lesson one. Had I known earlier, I would have tried to get him Assimil, or Michel Thomas, or.... anything. Alas.

Chris
Heptaglot
Japan
Joined 6920 days ago

287 posts - 452 votes 
Speaks: English*, Russian, Indonesian, French, Malay, Japanese, Spanish
Studies: Dutch, Korean, Mongolian

Message 21 of 36
19 June 2010 at 6:00am | IP Logged 
Even more LOL...the RS doesn't even teach you how to say 'Ohayou gozaimasu', or at least, the version I looked at in 2003 didn't. But shock, horror, maybe the new version does, but then how do they put in in a picture without actualy writing it? Remember the be-all-and-end-all RS method of NO English ALL TARGET PICTURES. Sorry, I meant, 'LANGUAGE'. Silly me. But if the new version actually includes English to aid comprehension, doesn't that violate the original amazing, be-all-and-and-all, all-target-language approach?

Edited by Chris on 20 June 2010 at 8:42am

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5810 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 22 of 36
19 June 2010 at 1:03pm | IP Logged 
I suspect one of his coworkers had taught him the phrase separately....

msmamba
United States
wanderlustwhispers.wRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5109 days ago

18 posts - 20 votes
Studies: German, Spanish

Message 23 of 36
19 June 2010 at 1:18pm | IP Logged 
Just last week a friend of mine suggested that I try Rosetta Stone upon learning of my interest in learning Spanish. By then I had read the "sentiment" of more experienced language learners and attempted to tell her about the general consensus. BUT, I realized that she was not really listening as the slick ad campaign and bright yellow boxes had already sucked her in. She had "tried" Rosetta Stone at a former job and was amazed by how many words she could "decipher" from the pretty pictures. Oh well, to each their own. But I've decided, if asked that question again my response will be...."I may take a look at it. Thank you.". An exception would be someone who is TRULY interested in language studies. For them I would engage them in the truth about RS and then some.

stout
Ireland
Joined 5170 days ago

108 posts - 140 votes 
Studies: French

Message 24 of 36
19 June 2010 at 8:46pm | IP Logged 
I tried the demonstration for Rosetta Stone French course and frankly I was not
impressed even the Michel Thomas French courses were better.I use the Hugos French
in Three Months a textbook with 3 audio CD's.I bought it for around 40-45 Euro.

The Hugo French in Three Months does the business for me.I would not waste my money
purchasing the Rosetta Stone course the prices are a rip-off.Better off purchasing
cheaper languages courses like Hugo or BBC language courses or even Michel Thomas.

This discussion contains 36 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 1 24 5  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version