Groupie
Germany
Joined 5336 days ago

98 posts - 114 votes 
Speaks: Tagalog, English*
Studies: German

Message 1 of 9
15 June 2010 at 5:47pm | IP Logged 
I keep losing my motivation when doing sentence mining. While reviewing I often find it
very difficult to decide what grade to give a certain sentence. And then after 10
sentences or so, I completely lose my motivation.

How do you grade your sentences? And how do you stay motivated?

Thanks
1 person has voted this message useful

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5825 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 2 of 9
15 June 2010 at 8:44pm | IP Logged 
Maybe you should try another way of studying and abandon the sentence mining altogether? If you're bored, you're not going to get much out of it....
2 persons have voted this message useful

tommus
CanadaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5680 days ago

979 posts - 1688 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Dutch, French, Esperanto, German, Spanish

Message 3 of 9
15 June 2010 at 9:17pm | IP Logged 
mpete16 wrote:
I keep losing my motivation when doing sentence mining.

I'm not sure just what technique you are using. I find that it is absolutely essential to collect sentences from your regular reading, which absolutely must be material that you find interesting. As for review, I put part of the sentence on one side of an Anki card and the second part on the other side (both only in target language). I use a pop-up bilingual dictionary during reading and review for any words I don't know or have forgotten.

Again, it is essential to do your reading in material you find interesting. Otherwise it is hopeless. If you can find very little material of interest in your target language, maybe you are not really interested in that target language, its culture, its countries, etc. Those sorts of interests are very important for the language itself to be interesting. In my case, I find the Dutch language and all things Dutch/Flemish/etc. to be interesting. So it is easy for me to find interesting material.

Splog
Diglot
Czech Republic
anthonylauder.c
Joined 5483 days ago

1062 posts - 3263 votes 
Speaks: English*, Czech
Studies: Mandarin

Message 4 of 9
15 June 2010 at 10:50pm | IP Logged 
There are two ways of doing sentence mining:

1: Seeing it as the focus of your reading activity, so pick up some text you are not particularly interested in and you examine it for sentences you think you supposed to pick out. This sees sentence mining as the main focus, and as an intense activity.

2: Just go about your daily language study, and whenever a particular sentence strikes you as interesting, unusual, or simply just worth remembering, then jot it down in your list (or SRS, or wherever) for later review.

The first approach will give you lots of sentences very quickly, but you will burn out due to boredom and exhaustion. The second approach is much slower as delivering sentences, but those sentences will be higher quality and more relevant to your own personal needs.

Overall, my thought on sentence mining is "why rush?" Focus on quality and relevance, and make sure you enjoy the journey.

mpete16
Diglot
Groupie
Germany
Joined 5336 days ago

98 posts - 114 votes 
Speaks: Tagalog, English*
Studies: German

Message 5 of 9
16 June 2010 at 2:32pm | IP Logged 
tommus wrote:
If you can find very little material of interest in your target language,
maybe you are not really interested in that target language, its culture, its
countries, etc.

@tommus: I would normally agree with you, but I live in Germany now. I have to learn
German, whether I want to or not.

@Splog: I do it the second way, and I don't rush things.

I've tried it again, with the intention of finding out what's causing me to burnout so
often. It turns out that my brain doesn't know what to focus on in the sentence. I went
to the Antimoon website to find out how to do my reviews properly. As it turns out, I
haven't been using the "Pause and Think" method. :/

I'll try it again for a few more days, but this time with the "Pause and Think" method.

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
teango.wordpress.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5370 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Russian
Studies: Hawaiian, French, Toki Pona

Message 6 of 9
16 June 2010 at 3:16pm | IP Logged 
I tend to only write down phrases I can hear clearly and understand whilst listening, but I do this actively in much shorter 5-10 minute bursts, and always with a whole bunch of interesting previewed videos on Yabla or with an audiobook I really like and whose text I've already read or studied. Here's a link to the German Yabla site, just in case you fancy giving it a try sometime. :)

Edited by Teango on 16 June 2010 at 3:26pm

kmart
Australia
Joined 5938 days ago

194 posts - 400 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian

Message 7 of 9
20 June 2010 at 1:47pm | IP Logged 
I don't get too hung up about either mining or reviewing. I just want to expose myself to as much variety of the language as possible, but I also don't mind repeating stuff. So I mine my sentences electronically as much as possible, with the translations too. Podcast transcripts are good for that - it's just CTRL-C, CTRL-V, ADD, CTRL-C, CTRL-V, ADD, etc. I can load hundreds of sentences in a very short time.
Likewise when I'm reviewing, I don't anguish about my assessment - if I didn't get it, I put it to the shortest review period, if it's really easy, or I'm bored with it, I set it to the longest review period, and the rest are in-between. I don't waste any time over it though, if I hesitate as to what to rate it, I just set it to a short review period - what's it matter if it comes up a bit often. The important thing for me is to get through a ton of sentences each day, not to be too picky about what degree of knowledge I have of them individually.
I also get a kick out of looking at my stats at the end of each session, and keeping the current ones up to the mark, not letting my averages down. And I promise myself a reward for reviewing - 15 mins review and I can look at the new grammar book that came in the mail, watch my new movie, or just have a chokky treat (I'm such a chocolate whore). Good luck.
;-)

Javi
Spain
Joined 5795 days ago

419 posts - 548 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*

Message 8 of 9
21 June 2010 at 12:03am | IP Logged 
mpete16 wrote:
I keep losing my motivation when doing sentence mining. While
reviewing I often find it
very difficult to decide what grade to give a certain sentence. And then after 10
sentences or so, I completely lose my motivation.

How do you grade your sentences? And how do you stay motivated?

Thanks

Maybe you're not being active enough in the way you work with flash cards. The way I
see it, those flash cards programs are a sort of quiz, so there should be a question
and an answer, and rating the answer should be rather trivial. In a related vein, if
you are to work with sentences, you'd better be clear about what part of the sentence
is the actual subject of the card. That's the bit you'll be quiz on if you like an
active approach, or the part you have to pay attention to, if you prefer to work
passively. That's the atomic approach I take: a new concept, a new flash card. For
example, if I'm reading a book and come across the word 'talking' in a place where I
would have expected 'talk', then I may add a card about that fact. The rest of the
sentence is just context, and if it happens to hold more interesting features, then I
have no problem in reusing the sentence in extra flash cards. I don't mind that kind of
redundancy.

This discussion contains 9 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version