Miiyii
Groupie
Greenland
Joined 5378 days ago

59 posts - 97 votes 

Message 17 of 65
13 August 2010 at 12:04am | IP Logged 
Hej Aquila! :D

.. Med objektet mener du da "han/ham" i sætningerne du har skrevet? - Så nej, man inkluderer ikke personerne
"han/ham/hun/hende/den/det" i sætninger da der ingen ord for dem er, på grønlandsk.

- Jeg trakk han opp av råken - Ordet "råken" er så oldschool på grønlandsk, at ingen på den alder jeg har
(14) ved hvad det er desværre. :) (Medmindre de altså har spurgt deres bedsteforældre, eller er fangerbørn.)

- Jeg skal trække dig op - Qaqissuakkit (Qaqi = løfte op fra noget ssua = uoversætteligt
kkit = "dig" endelse.)

- Jeg skal prøve at trække den op - Qaqinniaalussuara (Qaqi = løfte op fra noget nniaaluk =
prøve (i midten af en sætning/et ord) ssuara = den.

- jeg kan ikke trække den op - Qaqissinnaanngilara (b]Qaqi = løfte op fra noget ssinnaanngi =
kan ikke (i midten af en sætning/et ord) lara = jeg.

1 person has voted this message useful

Piotr1981
Diglot
Poland
Joined 5028 days ago

26 posts - 27 votes
Speaks: Polish*, EnglishC2
Studies: Spanish, Italian

Message 18 of 65
14 August 2010 at 8:05pm | IP Logged 
While I'm planning to learn Greenlandic I must say that Greenland fascinates me. Unfortunately, it's rather difficult to contact a native over the Internet.

I read about the language and it sounds really difficult. But I suppose that anything is possible once you've put mind to it :) One information that caught my attention while I was reading about ite, was the tendency to coin its own words for new modern concepts. Can you tell me how this works in practice?

By the way, I know that in 2009 Greenlandic officially became the sole official language of Greenland. Congratulations :)

Miiyii
Groupie
Greenland
Joined 5378 days ago

59 posts - 97 votes 

Message 19 of 65
14 August 2010 at 11:06pm | IP Logged 
Um.. Thank you.. i guess? .. :P

.. So.. Umm.. Yes, Greenlandic is actually pretty difficult for foreigners, since the way of placing words in a
sentence is very odd.. (Not to mention all the endings that are impossible to translate, and the 8 casus)

Umm.. Yes.. The Greenlandic language council thinks that it's smart to change the "new words" in Greenlandic
into native words, but that usually makes the words long and sometimes useless. (At least we young people say
so. hahah..) - But, the elder people (around 50+) usually use the replacement-words.

.. The way it works.. Since many many words in Greenlandic are spoken in pictures, they usually "mean"
something "in" the word.

F.x the word computer: Qarasaasiaq. This word, even though it's hard to translate, means "A thing made with a
brain", since it can write, record, seek, etc.
But, as I also told you, us younger people tend to use the word "Computeri" instead, since it for us, sound more
modern, if you get what I mean.
Umm.. So.. Yes, the replacements are made by taking a stem, and putting it together with an ending. xD?

But there is also many not replaced words that are token from Danish (which is quite normal to do)

F.x: skiilti, (from the danish word skilt for road sign) Fjernsyni, (from the Danish word
fjernsyn for TV) Suuffa, (from the danish word sofa for couch) and skateboardi (for
skateboard).

I hope my text wasn't too difficult to understand, and I hope you could use it! :DD ;D XD

2 persons have voted this message useful

Miiyii
Groupie
Greenland
Joined 5378 days ago

59 posts - 97 votes 

Message 20 of 65
12 September 2010 at 10:38pm | IP Logged 
Okaaaaaaay.. Now this topic is so dead that I want to wake it up by writing a greenlandic post, so you can see
what the language really looks like.. (Just for fun because of boredom. :D) .. Okay, heeeere we go:

Massakkut forumimi allappunga, pissanganarpianngilarlu. - Isumaqarpunga forumi una pikkunaatsoq, inuit
oqaatsit soorlu "tuluttut" soqutingiinnaramingit. - Taamaakkaluartorli allanneq forumimi uani nuannaraara, inuit
oqaatsit nalunngisakka takusussaangamingit. Haha.. :P ..
.. Hmm.. Kisianni inuit kalaallit oqaasii ilikkarusukkai ikittuaraapput, ajoraluaannartumik. ..
Naa.. Eqqumiik kalaallisut allalluni! .. Sivisoorujussuarmik ila allannikuunnginnama, Danmarkimut
nuunnikuungatta! .. Nuannerpoq Danmarkimiilluni, kisianni kalaallit oqaasii tusarusunnarput! .. :D
.. Hmm.. Allatara naammanngilaq suli, taamaattumik allassuunga suli! ;DDDDDDDDD!!
.. Oqarsinnavungali pingaartikkinga kalaallisut allanneq, oqalunnerlu! ;D .. Hmm.. Kisianni ila forumi una pillungu
allassanguma, aatsaannguartuut allassuunga: Pikkunaappoq assut! D; .. Ila inuit maaniittut aperingaangaminnga
imatuunerusarpoq: "Kalaallit oqaasii ilikkarnissai nalunarpa?!" .. Taava uanga akissuakka: "Naamik?! >8( .. Qanoq
aamma nalunassua mikisuungallaramali oqaluttarnikuunguma kalaallisut?! -_-'" .. :D .. Nå.. Naammappoq
massakkut, ila? .. TAKUSS' :D

.. Okaaaaay.. That's how greenlandic looks in it's full "version"? :P .. Beautiful, right? :D

.. (Oh.. I actually think I used like.. 6 cases of 8 in this little "history" ;D)
4 persons have voted this message useful

ChristopherB
Triglot
New Zealand
Joined 6111 days ago

851 posts - 1074 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: English*, German, French

Message 21 of 65
13 September 2010 at 1:26am | IP Logged 
I love this language so much. I've just spent a LOT of money ordering resources for learning and so I'm going to be studying it seriously in the next few weeks. But I have no idea how far I can ultimately get learning my bedroom in New Zealand!

I look forward to deciphering that message, Miiyii! :D

(By the way, I think it's so cool that we have a native Greenlandic-speaker on these boards!)

Edited by ChristopherB on 13 September 2010 at 1:27am

ellasevia
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2011
Germany
Joined 5937 days ago

2150 posts - 3229 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Croatian, Greek, French, Spanish, Russian, Swedish, Portuguese, Turkish, Italian
Studies: Catalan, Persian, Mandarin, Japanese, Romanian, Ukrainian

Message 22 of 65
13 September 2010 at 3:36am | IP Logged 
ChristopherB wrote:
I love this language so much. I've just spent a LOT of money ordering resources for learning and so I'm going to be studying it seriously in the next few weeks. But I have no idea how far I can ultimately get learning my bedroom in New Zealand!

I look forward to deciphering that message, Miiyii! :D

(By the way, I think it's so cool that we have a native Greenlandic-speaker on these boards!)

Are there any resources in English or is the reason why you're studying Danish now to be able to use Danish resources for Greenlandic?

ChristopherB
Triglot
New Zealand
Joined 6111 days ago

851 posts - 1074 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: English*, German, French

Message 23 of 65
13 September 2010 at 8:03am | IP Logged 
ellasevia wrote:

Are there any resources in English or is the reason why you're studying Danish now to be able to use Danish resources for Greenlandic?

Mainly to access resources for Greenlandic, yeah. Beyond that there's a phrasebook/mini-grammar in Germanic by Kauderwelsch called "Grönländisch Wort für Wort" which I have and it's quite good, though by no means a teaching manual. As for English-language material, there is Greenlandic for Travellers which I know nothing about and which I presume is probably nothing more than your standard-fare phrasebook.

Edited by ChristopherB on 13 September 2010 at 8:10am

Miiyii
Groupie
Greenland
Joined 5378 days ago

59 posts - 97 votes 

Message 24 of 65
13 September 2010 at 8:41pm | IP Logged 
Wuuuhuu.. Now the topic is awake! ;P

.. Soo soo.. Good that you like it! ^_^'

.. Umm.. You see, there is very few phrasebooks, and they're not good enough to do the whole thing!
(Now, I know that it's just to get around and all that stuff!)
- Because we pay BIG attention to, if the words (rather sentences) are pronounced correctly, so there's actually a
big chance of getting teased.. (In a good way ofc.)
(But I'm not 100% sure, since I haven't been living in the capital.)

.. Now, I'd rather say that you should go to one of the greenlandic houses in Denmark, where I'm sure they'll give
you some classes, if you want. :D

This discussion contains 65 messages over 9 pages: << Prev 1 24 5 6 7 8 9  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version