juicypuffin
Iceland
learn-nordic.livejou
Joined 4749 days ago

3 posts - 3 votes
Speaks: English*

Message 57 of 65
02 May 2011 at 3:33pm | IP Logged 
Hi, some stuff for learning Greenlandic phrases (and practicing it) has been posted by me this livejournal community, although you have to be a member of the community to see them: http://learn-nordic.livejournal.com/

Just yesterday there was a post that typed up phrasebook stuff and some of the grammar in the back of the phrasebook, the file was uploaded onto mediafire so the link for that is here: http://www.mediafire.com/?z5raoj6jr4awf

It's a Danish-Greenlandic-English file, because the book was Danish to Greenlandic I got the Danish translated by my friend into English. I've also linked to this forum thread on the "resources" post for Greenlandic because you guys are all very helpful.

I'm going to keep typing up stuff from the phrasebook when I can, but I was also wondering, are there any good movies with Greenlandic in it besides "The Experiment" that I could watch? I really liked that one.

EDIT: Also, are there any kids' books in Greenlandic I could get a copy of from somewhere? I live in Iceland and I've been keeping an eye out for stuff with Greenlandic on it here, but all I've found so far is a yeast package. I should mention I'm not actually learning Greenlandic, I'm just trying to get as much stuff for learning it onto the internet and onto my community for other people.

Edited by juicypuffin on 02 May 2011 at 3:38pm

1 person has voted this message useful

juicypuffin
Iceland
learn-nordic.livejou
Joined 4749 days ago

3 posts - 3 votes

Message 58 of 65
05 May 2011 at 1:56am | IP Logged 
The second, and all subsequent files like this, will be posted at this link: http://www.mediafire.com/?z5raoj6jr4awf

I have no schedule for how often I'm going to type up this stuff and it's library books that I'm using, and not a single person has mentioned they've found them useful so... yeah. I'll just do it whenever.

juicypuffin
Iceland
learn-nordic.livejou
Joined 4749 days ago

3 posts - 3 votes

Message 59 of 65
11 May 2011 at 3:25pm | IP Logged 
The third one is up at the same link as above, but we couldn't translate some of the Danish. If anyone could help, we're missing (these are phrases for phone conversations) "jeg stiller om" and "kan jeg få lokal 3?" into English. It's supposedly "nuutsissavakkit" and "3-mut nuulaaruk" in Greenlandic.

Also, I have a question about Greenlandic grammar with this:

det er Hanne / Hanne-una / It is Hanne
det er Maria / Mariaana / it is Maria

Why do you add -una to Hanne but -ana to Maria? Is it because of the gender difference between the two names (I'm assuming Hanne is a male name, here) or is it because Hanne ends in e and Maria ends in a? Could I get any alternates, like if your name ends in q or something, what would you add then?

Edited by juicypuffin on 11 May 2011 at 4:19pm

Miiyii
Groupie
Greenland
Joined 5377 days ago

59 posts - 97 votes 

Message 60 of 65
13 May 2011 at 7:01pm | IP Logged 
Hi Juicypuffin!

It's actually a bit tricky about the names in Greenlandic, but I'll gladly help you! :D

Both Hanne and Maria are girl names, but the only thing you should focus about is the ending.

F.x:

Names ending in "a" makes a double vowel when you use the "una". Therefore, Maria - Mariaana, Kuka -
Kukaana,
Mathilda - Mathildaana.

Names ending in "e and i" get "una" behind them, because we think it sound weird if you say "eena or iina"
(haha.. a little funny! :P). Therefore, Hanne - Hanne'una/Hanne-una, Maqe - Maqe'una/Maqe-
una

Names ending in "o" makes a double vowel, but change into "uu". Therefore, Karo - Karuuna, Aggo -
Agguuna

When names end in "q" the "q" changes into "r" and then you add "una". Therefore, Nukannguaq -
Nukannguaruna, Arsugaq - Arsugaruna"

When names end in "t" the "t" changes into "n" and then you add "una". Therefore, Kristiaat - Kristiaanuna

When names end in "k" the "k" changes into "ng" and then you add "una". Therefore, Malik - Malinguna

(The three last examples are not used as much as the first, but they do show up sometimes, so I wrote them
down too.)

I hope it makes just a little sense to you! :)
- And if you should have any questions, you can always ask! ;)

Edited by Miiyii on 13 May 2011 at 7:06pm

cordelia0507
United Kingdom
Joined 5632 days ago

1473 posts - 2176 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*
Studies: German, Russian

Message 61 of 65
17 August 2011 at 1:52pm | IP Logged 
Has anyone here actually been to Greenland?
I think it's super fascinating. I'd love nothing more than take a trip around the polar circle and visit places like Greenland, Northern Canada, Alaska, Siberia.....
Now that my Russian skills are decent enough for me to have convversations with people, it's fair to say that I speak ALL the languages of the North! (bragging!)

Maypal
Pentaglot
Russian Federation
Joined 4855 days ago

32 posts - 40 votes
Speaks: Russian*, Icelandic, English, Danish, Faroese
Studies: Greenlandic, Scottish Gaelic

Message 62 of 65
17 August 2011 at 2:26pm | IP Logged 
Miiyii wrote:
Tassami, aamma oqarnikuuvunga Aasiammiuullunga, taamaattumillu
kujataarmiut oqaasiiniik
assingiinngissuseqalaarpoq oqaluttarnera.
Uanga oqarsimassangaluarpunga "misilippaa" - "han/hun prøver det"-ussanguni.
Kisianni soorunami oqaaseq sumut tunnganersoq apeqqutaasorujussuusarpoq aamma,
ilikkareersimangukku? :)

Aluu, utoqqatserpunga kingusitsigusumik akigakkit.. aap, soorunami "ooqattaarpaa vs.
misilippaa" pillugu nalunngilara, kisianni naloqqaarpara oqaatsit taakku assigiinngissut
suunersoq (imaluunniit sumiorpaluummit suminngaaneernersoq).

Maypal
Pentaglot
Russian Federation
Joined 4855 days ago

32 posts - 40 votes

Message 63 of 65
17 August 2011 at 2:28pm | IP Logged 
cordelia0507 wrote:
Has anyone here actually been to Greenland?
I think it's super fascinating. I'd love nothing more than take a trip around the polar
circle and visit places like Greenland, Northern Canada, Alaska, Siberia.....
Now that my Russian skills are decent enough for me to have convversations with people,
it's fair to say that I speak ALL the languages of the North! (bragging!)

Same here, hehe ;)
Yes, I've been to Greenland, this is a fascinating place, especially when you're looking
at icebergs which are everywhere! You should definitely go there one day!

Edited by Maypal on 17 August 2011 at 2:36pm

Maypal
Pentaglot
Russian Federation
Joined 4855 days ago

32 posts - 40 votes

Message 64 of 65
17 August 2011 at 2:36pm | IP Logged 
Miiyii wrote:
Hi Juicypuffin!

It's actually a bit tricky about the names in Greenlandic, but I'll gladly help you! :D

Both Hanne and Maria are girl names, but the only thing you should focus about is the
ending.

F.x:

Names ending in "a" makes a double vowel when you use the "una". Therefore, Maria -
Mariaana, Kuka -
Kukaana,
Mathilda - Mathildaana.

I hope it makes just a little sense to you! :)
- And if you should have any questions, you can always ask! ;)

Thank you Miiyii, this is very useful info! And what about if they are more than one:
like this is Marias or this is the dogs? I suppose we have to add the
plural form -uku instead? Will it be Mariat+uku > Marianuku and
qimmit+uku > qimminuku or something else?

Another question, what is the difference between demonstrative pronouns with ta-
and without it? Like una vs. taanna 'that', manna vs. tamanna 'this'?

This discussion contains 65 messages over 9 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 79  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version