Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Why don’t people here like Rosetta Stone?

Language Learning Forum : Language Programs, Books & Tapes Post Reply
93 messages over 12 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 8 ... 11 12 Next >>
johntm93
United States
Joined 5137 days ago

587 posts - 746 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Spanish

Message 57 of 93
01 July 2010 at 7:05pm | IP Logged 
dec_lan wrote:
johntm93 wrote:
cm006j wrote:

Anyway, just pure emotional response from me.
Have you ever thought about it logically? Just wondering, because sometimes an emotional response isn't always the best one.

Also, I haven't personally used it myself (I have read a lot of reviews though, and my dad has a demo disc that I won't use), but the whole premise of "learning like a child" doesn't seem like the best idea for me. If you already know a language (or more), why not use it to your advantage to learn another? Like mnemonic (isn't that what they're called?) tricks and whatnot.

Also, to reverse the OP's question: Why do people like RS?

Well, any actual quality of the product aside, because of marketing. Also, for the people who it does actually work for, they'll love it because it told them "You WILL learn with this program", and they did (even if they learned in a massively inefficient way).

It's like what I said above with exercise equipment. People like to believe that an easy way has finally been found, and RS is it. RS knows this and capitalizes on it. The only reason it actually works and people buy it (where for the most part all the exercise equipment fails) is because we're so used to every single exercise equipment giving this claim. Very few other language learning programs say the the same brash stuff RS does.
That was more of a rhetorical question, I figured we all knew the answer :P
It's because of marketing (I don't think I've ever seen any other language program even advertise on TV) and it gives people a (mostly false) sense of success.
1 person has voted this message useful

joebelt
Diglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 6143 days ago

51 posts - 68 votes 
Speaks: English*, French

Message 58 of 93
01 July 2010 at 8:25pm | IP Logged 
hobbitofny wrote:
[QUOTE=Cainntear]
It might be better stated that after mastering the 15 hours of audio at 80% or better you gain 4 levels. For a person good at languages that is 15 hours. For a person slow to pick up languages (me), it is about 35 hours work.

I think it also depends on the language. I personally have done Pimsleur very efficiently for French (never needing to do the same lesson twice in level I & II) and the same can be said with Spanish, which I am going through at the moment (almost finished with level I). But both languages have a lot of similarities with English and you are exposed to them in the mainstream on a daily basis.

I've heard that Pimsleur can be more difficult with more foreign languages like Chinese, Russian, Korean, etc. That might account for the difference in rhythms between learners more so than a learner's actual ability.

Again, imagine if Rosetta had tested their Korean students. They selected Spanish--an "easier" language to cope with as a beginner--for their evaluation.

cm006j
United States
whitehindu.blogspot.
Joined 5104 days ago

23 posts - 28 votes
Studies: Mandarin, Hindi, Sign Language

Message 59 of 93
01 July 2010 at 8:32pm | IP Logged 
[/QUOTE]

I think it also depends on the language. I personally have done Pimsleur very
efficiently for French (never needing to do the same lesson twice in level I & II) and
the same can be said with Spanish, which I am going through at the moment (almost
finished with level I). But both languages have a lot of similarities with English and
you are exposed to them in the mainstream on a daily basis.

I've heard that Pimsleur can be more difficult with more foreign languages like
Chinese, Russian, Korean, etc. That might account for the difference in rhythms
between learners more so than a learner's actual ability.

Again, imagine if Rosetta had tested their Korean students. They selected Spanish--an
"easier" language to cope with as a beginner--for their evaluation.[/QUOTE]

I think they tested with Spanish because that is their most popular language.

Again, I am learning Hindi, not considered easy for English speakers.

I'm curious about this Pimsleur thing, people seem to like it so much and I'd like to
give it a try.

Tell me, does it teach different scripts (as Hindi has a different script, I've been
pleased with my reading ability through Rosetta Stone)?

joebelt
Diglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 6143 days ago

51 posts - 68 votes 

Message 60 of 93
01 July 2010 at 8:55pm | IP Logged 
cm006j wrote:

Certainly, but it underscores even more the poor test results. If most people, spending 64 hours with Rosetta's software plus 6 hours with a live tutor, reach Novice Mid (gaining only one level) with an "easier" language, it does not bode well if they did the same test with a more difficult language for beginners. That's all I'm saying.

Pimsleur is totally different from Rosetta in my experience. You can try a free lesson on their site. That lesson will be audio only. I feel like Pimsleur's goal is to give you the tools to use the language on your own. You don't memorize anything. It's kind of like building blocks. You are asked to speak from the beginning. They also teach you how to read for most languages (except Japanese I think) but that comes later in the course. Focus is certainly on conversational ability.

cm006j
United States
whitehindu.blogspot.
Joined 5104 days ago

23 posts - 28 votes
Studies: Mandarin, Hindi, Sign Language

Message 61 of 93
01 July 2010 at 9:04pm | IP Logged 
joebelt wrote:
cm006j wrote:

Certainly, but it underscores even more the poor test results. If most people,
spending 64 hours with Rosetta's software plus 6 hours with a live tutor, reach Novice
Mid (gaining only one level) with an "easier" language, it does not bode well if they
did the same test with a more difficult language for beginners. That's all I'm saying.

Pimsleur is totally different from Rosetta in my experience. You can try a free lesson
on their site. That lesson will be audio only. I feel like Pimsleur's goal is to give
you the tools to use the language on your own. You don't memorize anything. It's kind
of like building blocks. You are asked to speak from the beginning. They also teach
you how to read for most languages (except Japanese I think) but that comes later in
the course. Focus is certainly on conversational ability.

I just realized my library has it, so I'll try it out.

Rosetta Stone is also no memorizing and I really like that about it! I'm curious to
learn Arabic, but I'm sure I'll buy Rosetta Stone and learn the alphabet from them so I
won't worry if Pimsleur doesn't teach reading.

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5821 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 62 of 93
01 July 2010 at 9:25pm | IP Logged 
cm006j wrote:

If you want to show off, you learn Chinese, right? Not "just" Spanish.

If RS really had something to show off, I would have expected them to go for a show-off language
Quote:
I'm curious about this Pimsleur thing, people seem to like it so much and I'd like to
give it a try.

Tell me, does it teach different scripts (as Hindi has a different script, I've been
pleased with my reading ability through Rosetta Stone)?

I'd avoid the Pimsleur Hindi course. It's almost entirely audio based and they never explain phonetics, so there's no way of knowing whether the guys saying the retroflex or dental, aspirated or unaspirated version of a sound. I stopped after one lesson because of this.

joebelt
Diglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 6143 days ago

51 posts - 68 votes 

Message 63 of 93
01 July 2010 at 9:33pm | IP Logged 
Cainntear wrote:
   It's almost entirely audio based and they never explain phonetics, so there's no way of knowing whether the guys saying the retroflex or dental, aspirated or unaspirated version of a sound. I stopped after one lesson because of this.

And you missed the whole point of their method imo. That's what I love about their course, it's not only about using your mouth (speaking) but ALSO your ears (understanding). It takes time but it's worth the effort. So many "methods" totally neglect the understanding aspect of learning a language. They slow down the speakers, give you visual support, and totally ignore the fact that ears are your friend. Michel Thomas also recognizes that asset.

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6719 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 64 of 93
01 July 2010 at 9:49pm | IP Logged 
Cainntear wrote:
I'd avoid the Pimsleur Hindi course. It's almost entirely audio based and they never explain phonetics, so there's no way of knowing whether the guys saying the retroflex or dental, aspirated or unaspirated version of a sound. I stopped after one lesson because of this.

Well, there are loads of aspirated/unaspirated/retroflex/dental sounds in Chinese too. I had no problems learning to identify (and say) the sounds after just the Pimsleur course(s). While I'm not really a fan of the method itself, I'd never blame Pimsleur for not teaching phonetics. I use my ears.

This discussion contains 93 messages over 12 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 79 10 11 12  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version