Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Why don’t people here like Rosetta Stone?

Language Learning Forum : Language Programs, Books & Tapes Post Reply
93 messages over 12 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 11 12 Next >>
dec_lan
United States
Joined 5067 days ago

18 posts - 23 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Mandarin

Message 81 of 93
12 July 2010 at 11:13pm | IP Logged 
I got Michele Thomas and it's very good. His (it's not actually Thomas, it's his protege) condescending voice makes me want to punch him in the throat, but it's still very good. They're explaining a lot of stuff they just didn't in RS.

Anyway, this has turned into a mud flinging pit. Is there any way I can take this puppy out back and put it out of its misery?
1 person has voted this message useful

zekecoma
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5140 days ago

561 posts - 655 votes 
Studies: German, Spanish

Message 82 of 93
14 July 2010 at 2:35am | IP Logged 
cm006j wrote:
Ocius wrote:
They essentially re-use the same images and phrases for
every language.
Whoever came up with the idea in the
first place was the one with the great idea. Marketing it this way and making the price
nearly that of a college level
course (which, if you have a small class size and a good teacher, you will get
more out of) seems silly. Even if I
did like the Rosetta Stone "method" more than, say, Assimil's or even Teach Yourself's
(which I don't), how can I
justify spending over $600 more for something which will, at best, teach me just as
much? I used levels 1-3 for
German and, frankly, I wish I hadn't spent the money. While it certainly does help you
learn a language, it's not
good enough to justify the cost compared to other methods.

Unfortunately, RS's marketing team is incredible and, despite the current economy, they
don't seem to lack the
ability to find people with $600 to spare. Nevertheless, I'm sure their sales would go
up (and perhaps their profits,
as well, though I don't know how much it costs for manufacturing purposes on their end)
if they lowered the price.

I figure it would cost more than twice what it does now if the images were reshot for
every single language.

I know that I personally have never regretted spending the money for it. I'm extremely
happy with what I learned, even as I've now moved on to more advanced material.

Certainly not everyone will want to spend that, which is fine. I just don't understand
why people are so hateful about it.

Well lets see I have German all levels.

- The speech recognising system half of the time doesn't work.
- Doesn't teach you grammar
- Very slow
- You don't really know what you are learning from pictures.
- To be really frank, all you are learning out of it is how to say scripted sentences
and only that

Even if you do go through all the levels. You expect to be native fluent? You barely
even a high A1 by the time you're finished at most.

I bought a book for $10 used and I've learned over 160 in about 2 weeks and learned how
to describe my family, the weather, phone conversations, days, months, and so far only
two cases right now. How you going to learn Nominative, Accusative, Dative, Genitive
cases from Rosetta Stone?

How you going to learn this.

Ich kann jetzt Ferngespräche machen? in Rosetta Stone? Or I think you are very
beautiful, how can I have sex with you right now?

Rosetta is nice on the pronunciation if only just that. But you don't get crap out of
it that even remotely justifies anything.

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6235 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 83 of 93
14 July 2010 at 3:13am | IP Logged 
zekecoma wrote:
cm006j wrote:
Ocius wrote:
They essentially re-use the same images and phrases for
every language.
Whoever came up with the idea in the
first place was the one with the great idea. Marketing it this way and making the price
nearly that of a college level
course (which, if you have a small class size and a good teacher, you will get
more out of) seems silly. Even if I
did like the Rosetta Stone "method" more than, say, Assimil's or even Teach Yourself's
(which I don't), how can I
justify spending over $600 more for something which will, at best, teach me just as
much? I used levels 1-3 for
German and, frankly, I wish I hadn't spent the money. While it certainly does help you
learn a language, it's not
good enough to justify the cost compared to other methods.

Unfortunately, RS's marketing team is incredible and, despite the current economy, they
don't seem to lack the
ability to find people with $600 to spare. Nevertheless, I'm sure their sales would go
up (and perhaps their profits,
as well, though I don't know how much it costs for manufacturing purposes on their end)
if they lowered the price.

I figure it would cost more than twice what it does now if the images were reshot for
every single language.

I know that I personally have never regretted spending the money for it. I'm extremely
happy with what I learned, even as I've now moved on to more advanced material.

Certainly not everyone will want to spend that, which is fine. I just don't understand
why people are so hateful about it.

Well lets see I have German all levels.

- The speech recognising system half of the time doesn't work.
- Doesn't teach you grammar
- Very slow
- You don't really know what you are learning from pictures.
- To be really frank, all you are learning out of it is how to say scripted sentences
and only that

Even if you do go through all the levels. You expect to be native fluent? You barely
even a high A1 by the time you're finished at most.

I bought a book for $10 used and I've learned over 160 in about 2 weeks and learned how
to describe my family, the weather, phone conversations, days, months, and so far only
two cases right now. How you going to learn Nominative, Accusative, Dative, Genitive
cases from Rosetta Stone?

How you going to learn this.

Ich kann jetzt Ferngespräche machen? in Rosetta Stone? Or I think you are very
beautiful, how can I have sex with you right now?

Rosetta is nice on the pronunciation if only just that. But you don't get crap out of
it that even remotely justifies anything.

I think you're being a little too harsh. A lot can be learned about grammar from example sentences, without explicit study of grammar - this certainly isn't a perfect method, but it's more than usable. Similarly, people can generalize quite a lot from a reasonable selection of sample sentences - look at any decent language learning aptitude test.

No beginner program will teach you to say everything you want or be natively fluent, but relatively few people on this forum are naive enough to believe that it would, which makes that a bit of a straw man.

s_allard
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5226 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Polish

Message 84 of 93
14 July 2010 at 4:01am | IP Logged 
For some reason that I don't fully comprehend Rosetta Stone gets a lot of people all worked up in this forum. Is it really that bad? I've looked at it, but I haven't used it, and I'm not interested. But some people do like it. If you go to the Amazon website, there are lots of glowing reviews. O.K. there may be some shills out there, but it seems that a lot of people like the program. What gives? It's a good thing that Rosetta Stone doesn't depend on us to make money.

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6235 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 85 of 93
14 July 2010 at 4:32am | IP Logged 
s_allard wrote:
For some reason that I don't fully comprehend Rosetta Stone gets a lot of people all worked up in this forum. Is it really that bad? I've looked at it, but I haven't used it, and I'm not interested. But some people do like it. If you go to the Amazon website, there are lots of glowing reviews. O.K. there may be some shills out there, but it seems that a lot of people like the program. What gives? It's a good thing that Rosetta Stone doesn't depend on us to make money.

People who tend to give it glowing reviews tend to be relatively new to language learning - somewhat like people who recommend Pimsleur, though that has more dedicated fans with experience too. If it opens new doors or gives them a taste of success after years of bitter failures, and they don't know anything better, why wouldn't they praise it to the skies?

3 persons have voted this message useful

TerryW
United States
Joined 6153 days ago

370 posts - 783 votes 

Message 86 of 93
14 July 2010 at 5:42am | IP Logged 
Volte wrote:
People who tend to give it glowing reviews tend to be relatively new to language learning...

I agree. Unlike a lot of "serious" courses, where they encounter all of these strange new sounds and spellings, which can make them quit right away, they get to match up some pretty pictures with the spoken voices.

The one TV commercial includes a lady that says "I believe you can learn (pause) ANY language with this program!"

Now, we don't know if:

a) she is just an actress reading a script, or

b) she played around with the program for a half hour, was able to easily match up boy/girl/man/woman and car/boat/plane/bicycle with the corresponding picture quadrants, and then thinks to herself: "Wow, I'll be fluent in no time!" or

c) she completed Rosetta Spanish 1 thru 5 and has a great working knowledge of the language.

But I'd have to bet it's a) or b).

Edited by TerryW on 14 July 2010 at 5:51am

liddytime
Pentaglot
United States
mainlymagyar.wordpre
Joined 6025 days ago

693 posts - 1328 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Italian, Portuguese, Galician
Studies: Hungarian, Vietnamese, Modern Hebrew, Norwegian, Persian, Arabic (Written)

Message 87 of 93
14 July 2010 at 6:19am | IP Logged 
dec_lan wrote:
I was just lurking around the forums reading, and people kept saying not to use it. Is it only
because of the price, or because of the actual way it's taught?

I've been using it for a bit, and it doesn't seem that bad. But am I missing something?

Rosetta Stone is a publicly traded company. Their primary goal is to make money for themselves and their
shareholders. I really don;t think they give two hoots whether you learn anything from their overpriced
programs or not. Their goal is to sell software...period...

If you can learn from RS, great. My bet is if you tried the other methods mentioned in this forum first, you
would be very happy with the results at a fraction of the cost!

tractor
Tetraglot
Norway
Joined 5249 days ago

1349 posts - 2292 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, Spanish, Catalan
Studies: French, German, Latin

Message 88 of 93
14 July 2010 at 12:23pm | IP Logged 
s_allard wrote:
For some reason that I don't fully comprehend Rosetta Stone gets a lot of people all worked up in this forum. Is it really that bad?

No, it's not that bad. I think it can be a nice supplement to other methods. It's just way too expensive for what you get. In my opinion you'd be better off spending 10 $ on a Berlitz Self-Teacher book than several hundreds on RS.

Edited by tractor on 14 July 2010 at 12:29pm

This discussion contains 93 messages over 12 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version