Triglot
Finland
Joined 5124 days ago

125 posts - 159 votes 
Speaks: Finnish*, English, Swedish
Studies: French

Message 1 of 16
24 June 2010 at 8:13am | IP Logged 
Hi, I've been using Anki for a while and soon decided to discard tre ready-made decks and build my own one. I have
several for Swedish now: nouns, adjectives, verbs and other. I include the inflection of words in the cards (actually
that's what I use Anki for). So for an adjective I have three forms. But, now I've advanced to comparing things (in
grammar) and I'm not sure what to do. Should I
1. add the comparative and superlative forms to the existing cards,
2. create new cards and figure out a translation that would keep the two cards separate or
3. start a new deck for these forms?

I'llbe facing the same problem with verbs pretty soon. Now I'm only writing the theme forms (4) on a card, but what
about participles or infinite forms?
1 person has voted this message useful

fielle
Diglot
Groupie
Japan
maliora.com
Joined 5084 days ago

53 posts - 69 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: German

Message 2 of 16
24 June 2010 at 9:06am | IP Logged 
In using Anki, I avoid ever making more than one deck. You should take advantage of the models in Anki to extend your cards.

I am not entirely familiar with Swedish, but from a quick search on the internet, it seems like the comparative and superlative are a kind of "conjugation" of adjectives in Swedish.

I would extend the model of the adjectives in Swedish to have the following fields:
regular (or whatever the appropriate term is)
comparative
superlative
translation
(and any other forms that may exist)

Then I would probably make a bunch of cards for that model, such as
regular->definition
inflected (give regular)->regular and backwards (regular (give inflected)->regular)
regular (give superlative)->superlative and backwards
regular (give comparative)->comparative and backwards
(others)

This method will give you piles of cards, but it is dead simple to know if you got them right or not, and if they're simple enough you'll increase the ease right away and not see them any more than you need to. I always avoid definition->anything because synonyms make it nearly impossible to know the right answer sometimes.

I actually wrote more about how I make Anki flashcards on my blog (linked in my profile), if you'd like to read more about my method.

(edited because I'm not allowed to include links yet!)

Edited by fielle on 24 June 2010 at 9:07am

chirel
Triglot
Finland
Joined 5124 days ago

125 posts - 159 votes 

Message 3 of 16
24 June 2010 at 11:13am | IP Logged 
Thanks, although I'm such a beginner that I don't quite understand how your system works. I haven't invested too
much (enough) time into learning how Anki works. I knew there were models, but I'm not sure what that even
means. I'll try to figure it out now.

chirel
Triglot
Finland
Joined 5124 days ago

125 posts - 159 votes 

Message 4 of 16
24 June 2010 at 12:52pm | IP Logged 
I read through the instructions and your blog post, but didn't really understand how to do this model thing. My
decks are now basic and in my nun deck I have over 300 cards. I'm not looking forward to manually change all them
if I decide to change the model. (That's what I understood I would have to do.)

fielle
Diglot
Groupie
Japan
maliora.com
Joined 5084 days ago

53 posts - 69 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: German

Message 5 of 16
24 June 2010 at 2:59pm | IP Logged 
Hmm, if you only use the basic model, then changing to a set of proper models could be pretty tricky, although in the long run it should actually save you some effort!

Did you try reading the documentation for models at the anki website? (http://ichi2.net/anki/wiki/ModelProperties) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BI0aIoUSQ3o&feature=channel)

I'd be happy to try to explain models to you a little better, because they really are quite useful once you get the hang of them! I'd even be willing (happy even!) to help you rearrange your decks, although it might ruin the spacing of some of the cards and you'd probably have to start some of them over new. If you're interested in my help, feel free to pm me and I'll do my best to help make you a deck that makes good use of models.

Kary
Groupie
Canada
Joined 5963 days ago

85 posts - 113 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French, Spanish, German

Message 6 of 16
24 June 2010 at 3:51pm | IP Logged 
I agree with the importance of using models. I've only been using Anki for a short time, but once I found out about creating different models, it was worth the effort to re-do my cards. Now, I only have one deck per language. I use the tags to differential areas of focus. This could be word classes (nouns, adjectives, verbs) or basic expressions or themes (family, weather, time).

I created a "language" model which allows me to focus on aural/oral study, since this is my area of weakness. That is, one field is "audio" which contains an IPA transcription and/or an audio clip and one card template is "aural study" with the "audio" field as the question and the "word" field as the answer. At the same time, I have fields for the gloss/translation so that I could do L1->L2 or L2->L1 study, if desired.

Different formats might work better for you. There are a few posts with different ideas that you can find by searching the forum. However, I strongly recommend investigating models before you put more effort into building your decks.

feanarosurion
Canada
Joined 5095 days ago

217 posts - 316 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Finnish, Norwegian

Message 7 of 16
24 June 2010 at 4:34pm | IP Logged 
I've begun using these tips, and what I've found is you could actually create a card where multiple fields are shown. Therefore you could have all the forms on your question, and the translation as the answer. You do this by simply adding another line following with the syntax. For example, here's my format for Finnish nouns:

Question:
%(Nominative Singular)s
%(Partitive Singular)s
%(Genitive Singular)s
%(Partitive Plural)s
%(Genitive Plural)s

Answer:
%(Translation)s

I hope this helps. It might work better for you to have individual cards for the different forms, but this works for me, and hopefully it helps you figure out your own system.

FuroraCeltica
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6679 days ago

1187 posts - 1427 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French

Message 8 of 16
24 June 2010 at 5:08pm | IP Logged 
With my ANKI decks, I search out words from my frequency dictionary, then include those words in sample sentences

This discussion contains 16 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version