United States
piketransitions
Joined 5185 days ago

297 posts - 337 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Italian
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Arabic (Written), Swedish, Portuguese, Czech

Message 1 of 12
24 June 2010 at 8:29pm | IP Logged 
I am thinking of adding Czech to my current learning list but am at a loss for basic resources. What are some thoughts on the Pimsleur Czech program? I am going to be toying with L-R in my other languages in the coming months and if I find good results with this I am going to use this method as well, but I like to have some simple vocab builders in the very early stages. Any suggestions would be welcome!

I am subscribed as of today to the FluentCzech youtube account, but that was all I could really find in a search so I apologize if this is a redundant thread.

JLP
1 person has voted this message useful

Splog
Diglot
Czech Republic
anthonylauder.c
Joined 5457 days ago

1062 posts - 3263 votes 
Speaks: English*, Czech
Studies: Mandarin

Message 2 of 12
24 June 2010 at 8:50pm | IP Logged 
Firstly, thank you for subscribing to my Youtube channel :-)

The Pimsleur Czech course is only 30 lessons long, and does not cover very much. It is expensive for the little that you get, so I would not recommend it.

I see you are studying French, and therefore would recommend the Assimil Czech course to get you started. Most of the other courses don't have much audio - and that is a real problem at the early stages. My youtube channel also recommends the DLI course - which is probably a good follow on from the Assimil course (and has the advantage of being free). You will also benefit from a grammar book, and one of my videos covers that too.

Beyond that, keep in touch with the forums here, and when you have finished with those courses I can point you to some more advanced materials.
5 persons have voted this message useful

Fat-tony
Nonaglot
United Kingdom
jiahubooks.co.uk
Joined 5928 days ago

288 posts - 441 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Russian, Esperanto, Thai, Laotian, Urdu, Swedish, French
Studies: Mandarin, Indonesian, Arabic (Written), Armenian, Pali, Burmese

Message 3 of 12
24 June 2010 at 9:27pm | IP Logged 
FSI Czech Fast is free
and a good enough introductory course.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Splog
Diglot
Czech Republic
anthonylauder.c
Joined 5457 days ago

1062 posts - 3263 votes 

Message 4 of 12
24 June 2010 at 9:36pm | IP Logged 
Fat-tony wrote:
FSI Czech Fast is free
and a good enough introductory course.

Yes, I agree. The only downside is that it is a very short course, but good for the first few weeks if you don't want to spend any money and want to check if you do enjoy the language.

shahvlad
Belgium
Joined 5097 days ago

19 posts - 38 votes

Message 5 of 12
24 June 2010 at 9:40pm | IP Logged 
Czech links @ Omniglot.com
Czech resources @ WordRefence.com
5 persons have voted this message useful

JPike1028
Triglot
United States
piketransitions
Joined 5185 days ago

297 posts - 337 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Italian
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Arabic (Written), Swedish, Portuguese, Czech

Message 6 of 12
25 June 2010 at 8:08am | IP Logged 
Thank you for the suggestions. My methods of study include spending one month, on a rotating schedule, utilizing a language. What do you think are the best (audio) resources to absorb the most within one month? I know this is probably an irrational approach to language learning - I continue to speak in the language even if I am not focusing on it that month with people who I have found that speak the language - I just do not focus my actual educational efforts on it outside of the rotating month it falls on.

JLP

Edited by JPike1028 on 25 June 2010 at 8:08am

Splog
Diglot
Czech Republic
anthonylauder.c
Joined 5457 days ago

1062 posts - 3263 votes 

Message 7 of 12
25 June 2010 at 2:31pm | IP Logged 
JPike1028 wrote:
Thank you for the suggestions. My methods of study include spending one month, on a rotating schedule, utilizing a language. What do you think are the best (audio) resources to absorb the most within one month?

There are no primarily-audio courses for Czech that are good. The language has quite a difficult grammar, so you will benefit from a textbook to help you make sense of it.

If you only have a month, I would still recommend the Assimil course. If you don't want to spend any money, though, then the FSI FAST course can be downloaded for free and is probably a good alternative. Both Assimil and the FSI course strike a good balance between audio and textbook.

liddytime
Pentaglot
United States
mainlymagyar.wordpre
Joined 6017 days ago

693 posts - 1328 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Italian, Portuguese, Galician
Studies: Hungarian, Vietnamese, Modern Hebrew, Norwegian, Persian, Arabic (Written)

Message 8 of 12
26 June 2010 at 12:29am | IP Logged 
Splog wrote:

There are no primarily-audio courses for Czech that are good. The language has quite a difficult grammar, so you will benefit from a textbook to help you make sense of it.
If you don't want to spend any money, though, then the FSI FAST course can be downloaded for free and is probably a good alternative. Both Assimil and the FSI course strike a good balance between audio and textbook.

There is an FSI Czech Basic Course ( not their FAST course) Which looks incredible. You can download the text for free on ERIC.

FSI Czech Basic Course

It is a much more comprehensive course than FAST but appears to be more user-friendly for the general public than the DLI course. The book is nearly 1000 pages and it supposedly came with 38 cassette tapes. My problem has been that I can't find the tapes anywhere! NTIS does not sell them, sadly...

Have any of you out there seen them??

For a short trip FAST should be pretty good. The DLI course is great if you want to pick up more than a few travel words and are somewhat masochistic. Pimsleur will just annoy you. After 30 units and multiple hours ( and dollars ) invested, I guarantee you will look back and ask yourself,
     " Really, that's all I learned?!?!"

Czech is such a beautiful sounding language. It has a flow to it that is lacking in the other staccato Slavic tongues. It is definitely on my "hit list"!

Edited by liddytime on 26 June 2010 at 12:35am

This discussion contains 12 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version