Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Video Games

Tags: Games | Poll | Video
 Language Learning Forum : Learning Techniques, Methods & Strategies Post Reply
Poll Question: How do you see this method?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
24 [25.81%]
16 [17.20%]
34 [36.56%]
2 [2.15%]
17 [18.28%]
You can not vote in this poll

22 messages over 3 pages: 13  Next >>
darkwhispersdal
Wales
Joined 5850 days ago

294 posts - 363 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Ancient Greek, French, Italian, Spanish, Russian, Mandarin, Japanese, Latin

Message 9 of 22
26 June 2010 at 1:35pm | IP Logged 
I love games but the only one I've found effective for Spanish is civilsation as its turned based. Besides you end up learning quite alot of terms you wouldn't normally come across in vocabulary books ( or at least the ones I've got) and you're not distracted by fighting monsters or completing quests. My Russian's beginning to improve because I found a Mortal Kombat forum with plenty of news about the new game only available in Russian.
1 person has voted this message useful

NuclearGorilla
Diglot
United States
Joined 6596 days ago

166 posts - 195 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Japanese, French

Message 10 of 22
27 June 2010 at 7:10am | IP Logged 
I've found Civilization 4 to be pretty fun for this, if nothing else. I already knew the names for things when I started playing in French (and it's very easy to switch the language to one of five), but now if I switch it to English I'll often mutter things to myself in French. Plus, the Civilopedia's got a lot of fun reading in it if you enjoy history. I don't play often, and I wouldn't say this was an especially effective activity, but I did pick up quite a bit of interesting (and I'm sure plenty of it, useful) vocabulary.

I used a French translation of an RPG as part of my initial studies in French, actually. I put a whole bunch of the sentences into Anki when I felt like it, possibly using a dictionary to figure out the meaning. If I was feeling lazy, I would just play it and try to figure it out the best I could. This was actually quite effective and still fun. I didn't finish the game since it starts to wane after the first part, which is long enough.

Concisely: fun and potentially effective.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Akao
aka FailArtist
United States
Joined 5146 days ago

315 posts - 347 votes 
Studies: Spanish, Mandarin, Toki Pona

Message 11 of 22
27 June 2010 at 7:19am | IP Logged 
NuclearGorilla wrote:
I've found Civilization 4 to be pretty fun for this, if nothing else.

What would you recommend in the free area?

johntm93
United States
Joined 5137 days ago

587 posts - 746 votes 
2 sounds
Studies: German, Spanish

Message 12 of 22
27 June 2010 at 8:03am | IP Logged 
Akao wrote:
NuclearGorilla wrote:
I've found Civilization 4 to be pretty fun for this, if nothing else.

What would you recommend in the free area?
http://www.daimonin.org/
I just found this after some googling, the site that recommended it said you can play in Spanish; I didn't see any language options on the main site so you might have to sign up first.

luhmann
Brazil
Joined 5143 days ago

156 posts - 271 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*
Studies: Mandarin, French, English, Italian, Spanish, Persian, Arabic (classical)

Message 13 of 22
27 June 2010 at 1:43pm | IP Logged 
Akao wrote:
"The problem is, they will often use mangled versions of their language."

Why did everyone miss this part?

Although it is truth that players will invariably use netspeak to some extent, I donÂșt think this is a problem at all. It is great to have an enviroment where you can use your language to actively comunicate while having a good time -- reading netspeak will not forever impair your spelling and grammar, you just have to learn to differentiate the two versions of the language.

Asiafeverr
Diglot
Hong Kong
Joined 6152 days ago

346 posts - 431 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: French*, English
Studies: Mandarin, Cantonese, Shanghainese, German

Message 14 of 22
30 June 2010 at 8:55am | IP Logged 
I have an account on WoW Taiwan and so far it hasn't helped my language abilities that much. I am not
fluent enough to do complex tasks that require teamwork and coordination between various players so I end
up playing by myself and I know my way through the game because I played it a lot, not because I can
understand what is written in it. I thinK this method can only be useful if you already understand 90% of the
content.

Edited by Asiafeverr on 30 June 2010 at 9:05am

lynxrunner
Bilingual Triglot
United States
crittercryptics.com
Joined 5732 days ago

361 posts - 461 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish*, French
Studies: Russian, Swedish, Haitian Creole

Message 15 of 22
30 June 2010 at 9:46pm | IP Logged 
I have a game in French (a PAL game) which would be great for French. It's a text-heavy
RPG with a lot of cutscenes and (at least in English) boatloads of colloquial language.
Unfortunately, I can't actually play it in French because I have an American Gamecube
which only plays it in English for some bizarre reason.

Akalabeth
Groupie
Canada
Joined 5329 days ago

83 posts - 112 votes 
Studies: German, Japanese

Message 16 of 22
30 June 2010 at 10:53pm | IP Logged 
The Nintendo DS and Sony PSP are both region-free as far as I can tell. I've got Japanese
and English games for both that work perfectly. I think most other systems are region
locked though; very annoying.

I read something like you can change the language on the PS3 to Japanese, and some
English games will actually become Japanese, as the content doesn't always actually get
removed from the American releases. That sounds like what might be happening to you.
Dunno if you can change things like that on the Gamecube, but if you can it's worth a
try.

Edited by Akalabeth on 30 June 2010 at 10:56pm

This discussion contains 22 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version