Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Video Games

Tags: Games | Poll | Video
 Language Learning Forum : Learning Techniques, Methods & Strategies Post Reply
Poll Question: How do you see this method?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
24 [25.81%]
16 [17.20%]
34 [36.56%]
2 [2.15%]
17 [18.28%]
You can not vote in this poll

22 messages over 3 pages: 1 2
datsunking1
Diglot
United States
Joined 5399 days ago

1014 posts - 1533 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: German, Russian, Dutch, French

Message 17 of 22
01 July 2010 at 1:26pm | IP Logged 
I used to play the free first person shooter "Combat Arms" which is able to be downloaded everywhere, it's a really fun game if you don't like paying for one, it's VERY similar to Modern Warfare.

I played with people from all over the world. I was using languages constantly, mostly English, Spanish, and Portuguese in that order.

I was VERY surprised to see the number of Spanish and Portuguese speakers on there (there are about 1.2 million people that play it) I had a microphone from my Spanish class, so we were all able to talk to one another.

It was a lot of fun to talk in Spanish to one another, screaming out random commands or explitives :D I never really knew how much Spanish I knew, until I played that game and was screaming things like "I need ammo!" or "Toss a grenade and kill that loser" of course I always had a dictionary and was looking up other words.

It was a a lot of fun, but I realized I could be out in the real world, I'd rather be outside than play a videogame. :)

Jordan

Edited by datsunking1 on 01 July 2010 at 1:26pm

1 person has voted this message useful

johntm93
United States
Joined 5141 days ago

587 posts - 746 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Spanish

Message 18 of 22
01 July 2010 at 7:08pm | IP Logged 
datsunking1 wrote:
screaming out random explitives

...They made this game for me. Hehe, my Spanish expletive vocab is pretty extensive :)
I'll have to try that out, I don't play video games much but if it helps my Spanish...well then I guess I will.

Aras
Groupie
United States
Joined 6572 days ago

76 posts - 83 votes 
Studies: German, Ancient Greek

Message 19 of 22
02 July 2010 at 12:39am | IP Logged 
I tend to stick to first-person shooters and real-time strategy games, in which conversation is an afterthought. However, it's always nice to know a couple of words in various languages.

ANK47
Triglot
United States
thearabicstudent.blo
Joined 6911 days ago

188 posts - 259 votes 
Speaks: English*, Arabic (Written), Arabic (classical)

Message 20 of 22
02 July 2010 at 6:00pm | IP Logged 
Someone find a game where you can switch the language to Arabic :P.

tracker465
United States
Joined 5166 days ago

355 posts - 496 votes 
Studies: German, Spanish, Dutch

Message 21 of 22
05 July 2010 at 7:02am | IP Logged 
I used to be a large gamer, but now I've picked up other interests and therefore I do not play nearly so much anymore. I do believe that games can be a good way for improving one's language skills, however.

I own a copy of Zelda: Link's Awakening for Gameboy in German, although I did not play through it properly yet. I loved the game as a child, and feel that it will be a fun time navigating through the game in German. Really, any RPG in a foreign language would help one learn more vocabulary, I think.

I grew up with the original Nintendo/NES, and at one point I managed to grab a game titled die Schlümpfe for NES, before I even studied German. It is so cool now to be able to read it as I play it through the German setting (the game has multiple language choices). For awhile I have also wanted to purchase a copy of Shadowgate (an old PC game that was ported to the NES) in German, although with the shipping, it is always more expensive on eBay then what I want to pay. Once again, a text heavy game where I could learn new vocabulary.

plaidchuck
Diglot
Groupie
United States
facebook.com/plaidchRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5119 days ago

71 posts - 93 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish

Message 22 of 22
07 July 2010 at 6:55am | IP Logged 
This can be a fun thing for a little extra immersion. I've switched the interface language of my PS3 to Spanish and it's been helpful in picking up computer/internet words that I may have not encountered sooner. Also when you play a game if the game is available in that language it will automatically switch the game to the language. GTA 4 has every dialogue subtitled in Spanish, for example.

I would imagine RPGs could be a treasure trove if you were trying to learn Japanese, especially with the older games and emulators that are available now. Unfortunately I don't have much time these days to dive into an RPG(although if it had spoken Spanish dialogue I'd be more interested) so I'm usually confined to shooters and sports games.

This discussion contains 22 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 1 2

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version