5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: German*, DutchC1, EnglishB2, French, Italian, Spanish, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Danish, Norwegian, Turkish
Personal Language Map

Message 9 of 33
26 June 2010 at 10:40pm | IP Logged 
Iversen wrote:
Provided that you can find enough spoken/written sources and communication partners the advanced languages will take care of themselves. The mediocre or miserable languages need constant attention.

This is very true! Languages on a beginner - lower intermediate level need much more input and attention, I'm just experiencing this with my Turkish and Danish.

Fasulye
1 person has voted this message useful

arturs
Triglot
Latvia
Joined 5067 days ago

278 posts - 408 votes 
Speaks: Latvian*, Russian, English

Message 10 of 33
30 June 2010 at 6:32pm | IP Logged 
My personal opinion is that in depends on the languages your studying. For example, I speak English fluent and German quite good, so I can afford to learn many other Germanic languages, like Swedish, Danish and Dutch, because I already know some similar vocabulary, grammar, etc. If I spoke only English, it would be nuts to start learning Arabic, Japanese, Chinese and some other exotic language. On this occasion I would focus only on Arabic or Japanese, or maximum two of the languages. To sum up - if you study languages in the same language group (Germanic, Slavic, Finno-Ugric, etc.) then it's OK to do many languages, but if the languages are from different groups, then you should focus on less quantity and more quality.

orion
United States
Joined 6817 days ago

622 posts - 678 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Russian

Message 11 of 33
01 July 2010 at 6:23am | IP Logged 
Akao wrote:
I hear the term "Quality, not quantity" thrown around so much on this forum, but what ever happened to quality and quantity?

If this is your philosophy, why are you only studying one language?

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5807 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 12 of 33
01 July 2010 at 1:34pm | IP Logged 
I find quantity can increase quality.

The first language you learn is likely to be understood in terms of how it differs from your mother tongue. The wider your experience of languages, the more you see the bigger picture and can understand each language in its own terms.

I also find that there's stuff I may have missed when learning one language that I suddenly notice when I come across a similar feature in a second language. You could argue that I wouldn't have missed it if I'd studied harder, but there's a limit to the amount of information you can pick up in one go, and rereading materials hardly ever works because I switch off when I'm reading stuff I already know, so by the time I get to stuff I missed the first time round, my eyes are glazed over and I'm not paying much attention.

So the way I see it, the languages I never study enough to get good at aren't actually a waste of time, because they actually help me get good at other ones. And being able to chat up the waitress in a café comes as a free bonus!
4 persons have voted this message useful

Akao
aka FailArtist
United States
Joined 5132 days ago

315 posts - 347 votes 
Studies: Spanish, Mandarin, Toki Pona

Message 13 of 33
03 July 2010 at 9:59pm | IP Logged 
orion wrote:
Akao wrote:
I hear the term "Quality, not quantity" thrown around so much on this forum, but what ever happened to quality and quantity?

I am a child and cannot afford to pay for sufficient resources for two languages.
2 persons have voted this message useful

johntm93
United States
Joined 5123 days ago

587 posts - 746 votes 
2 sounds
Studies: German, Spanish

Message 14 of 33
03 July 2010 at 11:13pm | IP Logged 
Akao wrote:
orion wrote:
Akao wrote:

I am a child and cannot afford to pay for sufficient resources for two languages.
You can learn for free. If you know what to do and what to use.

Aineko
Triglot
New Zealand
Joined 5244 days ago

238 posts - 442 votes 
Speaks: Serbian*, EnglishC2, Spanish
Studies: Russian, Arabic (Written), Mandarin

Message 15 of 33
04 July 2010 at 1:13am | IP Logged 
Merv wrote:

Each language is a castle that must be assaulted, as Kato Lomb would have it.

If we are mentioning Kato Lomb in this topic I think we must not forget that also
"language is the only thing still worth knowing badly". :)

I don't think that there is 'right' and 'wrong' in this quality/quantity choice
situation. People should go for what makes them happy or simply suits their needs. If
someone wants to know as many languages as possible at the B1 level, that's a perfectly
valid goal.
I will be happy if I manage to learn few (3 to 5) languages to the C+ level and then as
many as possible to the B+ level.
9 persons have voted this message useful

John Smith
Bilingual Triglot
Australia
Joined 5838 days ago

396 posts - 542 votes 
Speaks: English*, Czech*, Spanish
Studies: German

Message 16 of 33
04 July 2010 at 5:26pm | IP Logged 
You can learn lots of languages to a high level. Maintaining them all is another story.

This discussion contains 33 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 13 4 5  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version