Joined 5077 days ago

217 posts - 316 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Finnish, Norwegian

Message 33 of 33
10 July 2010 at 6:40am | IP Logged 
Romanist wrote:
cordelia0507 wrote:
Exactly. Getting good at English is not so hard in this day and age, since it's everywhere. But if your chosen language was Bulgarian or Finnish you'd have to be really focused about it unless you were able to move there...

Above all you would need to have some genuine rock solid motivation, I think. Anyone wanting to crack Finnish right up to C2 level would probably have to make some real sacrifices - like staying in and working on it every evening and weekend instead of going out with friends, etc.

After a while the learner starts to ask: why am I doing this to myself? (If there is not a very good answer, the whole project quickly falls by the wayside...)

I'd just like to chime in here and say that my goal is indeed C2 fluency (or higher if that's possible) in Finnish, and I'm not really needing to make many sacrifices. I mean, I'm a somewhat introverted person in general, but it doesn't interfere with my social life whatsoever. My personal take on it is that I'll just do the best I can until I can actually get over there, then I'll just immerse myself and what will happen will happen. However, this is the only language where I really would be this committed to the language, so I'm certainly on the quality side of things. However, I think it's certainly possible to maintain other languages at the same time. And after I get past a certain point with my Finnish, as in around B1-2 level, I'll probably try my hand at Swedish or Norwegian just for a "light refreshment" I guess you could say, but that would be very casual, and I would wait until I'm essentially at near-native level with Finnish before really working hard on anything else.

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 33 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version