ryanslrblog.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6017 days ago

77 posts - 108 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Swedish
Studies: German, Arabic (Written), Japanese, Greek, French

Message 1 of 40
30 June 2010 at 3:17pm | IP Logged 
Hi guys,

So I finished my experiments of LR with Harry Potter in Swedish in German with great success with both in about 3 to 6 months with both. (I can read most literature with a really high comprehension rate, I pick up new words just by reading now its awesome!)

So I'm going to start Japanese now but I want to make sure I do the method 100% right with parallel text this time. (Last time I read a few chapters a day before listening, and then listened to the audio and read the real books with it)

Does anyone know if a parallel copy exists? Is it legal if I own both the English and Japanese book to have it in electronic form?

- Digitlhand
3 persons have voted this message useful

parasitius
Diglot
United States
Joined 5794 days ago

220 posts - 323 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin
Studies: Cantonese, Polish, Spanish, French

Message 2 of 40
30 June 2010 at 10:04pm | IP Logged 
It's awesome to hear more L-R success stories. Would you mind revealing the details of what you did, and how much knowledge of the languages you had before starting? If you took 3-6 months, it seems you didn't follow strict L-R as even if the audio for (I presume just the first Harry Potter book?) was 20 hours, it would last you at most a week to go through it once. Did you repeat it several times, or did you do several of the Harry Potter series? When you pre-read before listening, you pre-read only the English version?

I doubt there is any strictly 'legal' way to get your electronic copy, without making it yourself, that would fly in a court of law. I think the best we can all do is be ethically in the right by just at least owning copies of the books we use.
1 person has voted this message useful

digitlhand
Triglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 6017 days ago

77 posts - 108 votes 

Message 3 of 40
30 June 2010 at 11:50pm | IP Logged 
I don't mind answering questions at all... I wished more people had given their success stories when I started.

In both German and Swedish I had not previous knowledge of the languages. The only words I knew, especially
for Swedish were English or Latin cognates.

It took me much longer with the languages because I didn't follow the traditional (if there is such a thing) with
L-R I actually had the entire Twilight, Harry Potter and Lord of The Rings series in audio format. I didn't really
repeat material and hence spend most if not all the time chugging through each series book by book... not
repeating. I preread in English, and sometimes... in fact most times I just used chapter summaries as I had never
read any of the books mentioned in English before. I did read the first Twilight book and first Harry Potter book
in English, but then relied on Chapter summaries.

I'm happy to answer any other questions you may have.
4 persons have voted this message useful

parasitius
Diglot
United States
Joined 5794 days ago

220 posts - 323 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin
Studies: Cantonese, Polish, Spanish, French

Message 4 of 40
01 July 2010 at 1:46am | IP Logged 

Yeah, sorry for the first reply to your thread to be a request for info and I don't have any L-R Japanese documents to help you. Thanks a lot for the answers!

Did you actually make your own parallel text versions for all of those books? That must have taken forever? It's interesting you mention Harry Potter and Twilight as those (I've never read them) seem the easiest to find in multiple language and longest books, so I was actually planning to try them out for some Spanish L&R.

How many hours did you do per day? When listening to the audio were you mostly following along in English or in the target language (or if you migrated to more reading of the German/Swedish, how long was it before you got comfortable and understood enough to do that?)?

Thanks a ton!

digitlhand
Triglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 6017 days ago

77 posts - 108 votes 

Message 5 of 40
01 July 2010 at 3:10am | IP Logged 
I didn't use any parallel text for my German and Swedish studies. What I did was read the first book of Harry
Potter and Twilight in English... chapter by chapter and read and listened to the audiobooks in my target
languages.

I should note that I did German first, so about 8 or 9 months ago and Swedish after that.
Here is the order that I read the books in Swedish and German:

Twilight 1-4
Harry Potter 1-7
Lord of the Rings 1-3

I reached the natural listening stage in German at about the first and second Lord of the Rings book. In Swedish
I reached it much earlier, probably due to my natural German listening skills before starting Swedish, which was
about the 4th or 5th Harry Potter book.

I listened about 5 to 8 hours a day depending on my schedule. The total for each language adds up to about
~250 hours of listening.

My way of trying LR required much more listening as it what I could do more than anything else. I found that it
didn't hurt my reading skills.
6 persons have voted this message useful

JPike1028
Triglot
United States
piketransitions
Joined 5193 days ago

297 posts - 337 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Italian
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Arabic (Written), Swedish, Portuguese, Czech

Message 6 of 40
03 July 2010 at 6:55pm | IP Logged 
Is there any place to find the HP audio book inexpensively? I keep coming up with highly pricey listings. I have the
bool in my TL but cannot really afford the 120 dollar audiobook on Amazon.

LangOfChildren
Tetraglot
Groupie
Germany
Joined 5223 days ago

82 posts - 141 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Swedish
Studies: Mandarin, Japanese, Thai, Russian

Message 7 of 40
03 July 2010 at 7:07pm | IP Logged 
Not legally...

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
teango.wordpress.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5352 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Russian
Studies: Hawaiian, French, Toki Pona

Message 8 of 40
03 July 2010 at 8:01pm | IP Logged 
3-6 months at 5-8 hours a day, totaling around 500 hours of L&R - wonderful effort! I've only managed about half that number of L&R hours (in German and Spanish) so far this year, so hats off to you. :)

Now when you read or listen to a book in German or Swedish, it must be a great feeling to have a "really high comprehension rate" and learn new words from context in the target language alone. Just out of interest, how many words out of an unseen random passage of 100 words do you understand in each language now? And how about listening...what's it like to watch tv/films, or listen to podcasts, music or radio?

Thanks once again for sharing these very encouraging results.

This discussion contains 40 messages over 5 pages: 2 3 4 5  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version