ryanslrblog.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6018 days ago

77 posts - 108 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Swedish
Studies: German, Arabic (Written), Japanese, Greek, French

Message 33 of 40
10 July 2010 at 5:08pm | IP Logged 
Quote:
I'm pretty confident about this, but I guess it depends on how tolerant you are of not understanding much at the start. You have to be willing to listen to a lot of hours of audio without getting much...

Right on the money doviende, that's the core of what I feel makes L-R so hard. It works really well but most of the time one is listening to incomprehensible audio for a long time.
1 person has voted this message useful

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6236 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 34 of 40
10 July 2010 at 5:35pm | IP Logged 
digitlhand wrote:
Quote:
I'm pretty confident about this, but I guess it depends on how tolerant you are of not understanding much at the start. You have to be willing to listen to a lot of hours of audio without getting much...

Right on the money doviende, that's the core of what I feel makes L-R so hard. It works really well but most of the time one is listening to incomprehensible audio for a long time.

Then you're doing it wrong, I think. I find the first few hours are incomprehensible, but by 20 hours in, it's simply not incomprehensible audio if I'm working intensely.

Atamagaii has mentioned to me that the critical thing is to make it comprehensible - without parallel texts, s/he's used pop-up dictionaries to figure Japanese out one sentence at a time. It only needs to be fleeting comprehension, not even hit short term memory, but it's not very effective if it's not comprehensible.

If you go for incomprehensible input, this basically turns into "All Japanese All The Time" - it works, but it's much slower.

digitlhand
Triglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 6018 days ago

77 posts - 108 votes 

Message 35 of 40
10 July 2010 at 5:59pm | IP Logged 
Quote:
Then you're doing it wrong, I think. I find the first few hours are incomprehensible, but by 20 hours in, it's simply not incomprehensible audio if I'm working intensely.

Perhaps I worded it incorrectly or perhaps I didn't.
I'm on my seventh hour of Listening-Reading (alone) in Harry Potter in Japanese and although I am starting to pick up individual words, I have not started to feel like I can understand everything I hear.
I know where I am in the story if that is what you mean... I'm guessing we don't share the same definition of comprehensible audio. I'll admit I don't have a good definition myself so I'm probably to blame.
I'll report at the twentieth hour what I can and can't understand.

Right now I can understand, he, she, who, what, when, where, how, many words like cat, train, motorcycle, said, thought, wrote, read, we... etc.. I'm missing many words in this list but that's the gist of it.

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6236 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 

Message 36 of 40
10 July 2010 at 6:15pm | IP Logged 
digitlhand wrote:
Quote:

Perhaps I worded it incorrectly or perhaps I didn't.
I'm on my seventh hour of Listening-Reading (alone) in Harry Potter in Japanese and although I am starting to pick up individual words, I have not started to feel like I can understand everything I hear.
I know where I am in the story if that is what you mean... I'm guessing we don't share the same definition of comprehensible audio. I'll admit I don't have a good definition myself so I'm probably to blame.
I'll report at the twentieth hour what I can and can't understand.

Right now I can understand, he, she, who, what, when, where, how, many words like cat, train, motorcycle, said, thought, wrote, read, we... etc.. I'm missing many words in this list but that's the gist of it.

Our definitions of comprehensible audio are probably similar. That sounds in line with what I'd expect for 7 hours into Japanese, and similar to where I was 7 hours into Polish.

Having the first few hours be like that seems to be the fastest way to pick up this base, but doing dozens of hours without help like parallel texts or pop-up dictionaries for less-frequent words strikes me as painful - I really do prefer to have help in making the text more comprehensible.

digitlhand
Triglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 6018 days ago

77 posts - 108 votes 

Message 37 of 40
10 July 2010 at 6:24pm | IP Logged 
Volte, you're probably right about the 20 hours... Now that you've pointed it out, my French is really comprehensible after about 27 hours of Listening-Reading... I suppose I remember German and Swedish being harder than they were. In any case, with daily updates I should be able to better describe my experience for others in the future.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6236 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 

Message 38 of 40
10 July 2010 at 6:45pm | IP Logged 
digitlhand wrote:
Volte, you're probably right about the 20 hours... Now that you've pointed it out, my French is really comprehensible after about 27 hours of Listening-Reading... I suppose I remember German and Swedish being harder than they were. In any case, with daily updates I should be able to better describe my experience for others in the future.

Sounds good; logs are quite useful, because it's really easy for memory to drift over time. I look forward to reading yours.

doviende
Diglot
Canada
languagefixatio
Joined 5783 days ago

533 posts - 1245 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Spanish, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Hindi, Swedish, Portuguese

Message 39 of 40
10 July 2010 at 8:23pm | IP Logged 
Thanks for your encouragement, Volte. Since I'm currently stuck without any Swedish texts for my Swedish audiobooks (and probably no opportunity to get any until I get to Sweden a few weeks from now), it actually makes a lot of sense for me to use the English PDFs I have of these books. So, I guess I'll be involuntarily trying L-R with English text and Swedish audio for the next while.

I tried a chapter this afternoon, and it felt a bit confusing. I have trouble syncing the audio and text, but I'm sure that'll get easier. I'll try and finish my current 25 hour audiobook using L1 text and see how it goes.

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6236 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 

Message 40 of 40
10 July 2010 at 8:40pm | IP Logged 
doviende wrote:
Thanks for your encouragement, Volte. Since I'm currently stuck without any Swedish texts for my Swedish audiobooks (and probably no opportunity to get any until I get to Sweden a few weeks from now), it actually makes a lot of sense for me to use the English PDFs I have of these books. So, I guess I'll be involuntarily trying L-R with English text and Swedish audio for the next while.

I tried a chapter this afternoon, and it felt a bit confusing. I have trouble syncing the audio and text, but I'm sure that'll get easier. I'll try and finish my current 25 hour audiobook using L1 text and see how it goes.

Yes - it's harder to stay synced with L1 text than L2 text, especially if you don't have a parallel text. For what it may be worth, I mainly read L1 at the beginning, but once I can read L2 and get most of the meaning, I tend to do that and just refer to L1 for bits which aren't clear, because focusing mainly on L1 is really distracting at that point.

Good luck with your experiment!

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 40 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version