universityofbrokengl
Joined 5713 days ago

397 posts - 507 votes 
Speaks: English, Dutch*, Esperanto, Afrikaans
Studies: Xhosa, French, Korean, Portuguese, Zulu

Message 1 of 33
01 July 2010 at 11:28am | IP Logged 
Hi

I was curious, it seems that african languages are quite underrepresented here... or with
learners in general. I notice Kishwahili, and Arabic of course, and some interested here
and there in Zulu and the like... However it's really really little (in terms of
languages sub saharan), and wanted to ask opinions as to why this is. I think one
argument is that there are often very little materials available... but apart from
that... well Afrikaans or Dutch isn't all that more useful than say Oshiwambo or
Chibemba, or Wolof...
1 person has voted this message useful

mrhenrik
Triglot
Norway
Joined 5888 days ago

482 posts - 658 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, French
Personal Language Map

Message 2 of 33
01 July 2010 at 12:59pm | IP Logged 
I'd say African languages are underrepresented because, well, Africans are
underrepresented here. Most of the users here seem to be American or European, with
quite a bunch of Asians as well. This is quite logical seeing as the main language of
the forum is English.

Anyhow, when it comes to learning an African language in Europe/America/Asia you'd
consider how similar it is to languages you already know (easier to learn), how useful
it would be in your area as well (Afrikaans gets points for Europeans) and I guess also
how many resources there are available. I don't know how many resources there are for
Afrikaans, but I doubt there's a serious lack of them in Arabic.

Personally I'd love to learn an African language, both Xhosa and Zulu seem interesting,
but I really don't know what I'd use it for. Perhaps if I move to France there is a
larger African immigrant population (there are virtually none where I live in Norway,
and seemingly none here in Cornwall as well) which could help me learn it, and also
give me some opportunities of using it.

Edited by mrhenrik on 01 July 2010 at 1:00pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Captain Haddock
Diglot
Japan
kanjicabinet.tumblr.
Joined 6577 days ago

2282 posts - 2814 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: French, Korean, Ancient Greek

Message 3 of 33
01 July 2010 at 4:30pm | IP Logged 
Reading and literature is a major influence on what languages I choose to study, and I'm sure that's true for many
other people. Unfortunately, most African languages don't have much of a literary tradition yet, so I wouldn't put
any of them (aside from Afrikaans) high on my list to learn.

johntm93
United States
Joined 5136 days ago

587 posts - 746 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Spanish

Message 4 of 33
01 July 2010 at 7:22pm | IP Logged 
There really isn't much of a reason to learn them, unless you're just interested in it linguistically (clicks) or you plan on going to Africa. Even if you plan on going to Africa, you can normally get by on another, more widespread language.

Derian
Triglot
PolandRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5117 days ago

227 posts - 464 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English, German
Studies: Spanish, Russian, Czech, French, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 5 of 33
01 July 2010 at 8:53pm | IP Logged 
Actually, I am amazed how many people study Swahili, which seems to be the most popular African language to learn.

"104 other forum members speak or study Swahili". This is quite a lot.

To put it in some perspective:
Afrikaans - 101 learners, Croatian - 101, Indonesian - 153, Arabic (classical) - 114, Thai - 137

Deshwi
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5409 days ago

31 posts - 38 votes
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French
Studies: Arabic (Written), Turkish, Hindi, Persian

Message 6 of 33
02 July 2010 at 12:25am | IP Logged 
I think the lack of good resources for many languages is why people aren't learning African languages. I would like to learn Amharic, but virtually nothing. Eventually I will tackle Swahili, maybe even Zulu.

ennime
Tetraglot
South Africa
universityofbrokengl
Joined 5713 days ago

397 posts - 507 votes 
Speaks: English, Dutch*, Esperanto, Afrikaans
Studies: Xhosa, French, Korean, Portuguese, Zulu

Message 7 of 33
02 July 2010 at 9:35am | IP Logged 
mrhenrik wrote:
I'd say African languages are underrepresented because, well,
Africans are
underrepresented here. Most of the users here seem to be American or European, with
quite a bunch of Asians as well. This is quite logical seeing as the main language of
the forum is English.

Well.. the funny thing is that people in Africa tend to be a lot better at English than
people in Asia... Perhaps it's more an internet access related thing...

mrhenrik wrote:

...(Afrikaans gets points for Europeans) and I guess also
how many resources there are available. I don't know how many resources there are for
Afrikaans, but I doubt there's a serious lack of them in Arabic.

I all honesty, Afrikaans being Indo-European (albeit with some minor khoe and bantu
influences...) I don't consider it to be a native African language

johntm93 wrote:
There really isn't much of a reason to learn them, unless you're just
interested in it linguistically (clicks) or you plan on going to Africa. Even if you
plan on going to Africa, you can normally get by on another, more widespread language.

Actually, quite few languages in Africa have clicks... But in terms of reasons to learn
them: Zulu and Xhosa have amazing poetry and folktales, as well as literature (albeit
not easy to find)... I'm sure there is more out there...

Derian
Triglot
PolandRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5117 days ago

227 posts - 464 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English, German
Studies: Spanish, Russian, Czech, French, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 8 of 33
02 July 2010 at 10:30am | IP Logged 
ennime wrote:
Well.. the funny thing is that people in Africa tend to be a lot better at English than people in Asia... Perhaps it's more an internet access related thing...
No, it's not surprising at all, and it's got nothing to do with the internet (which I don't think is more accessible in Africa than in Asia really.).

Since the colonial era, Indo-European languages such as Afrikaans, English, French and Portuguese have held official status in many countries of Africa, and are widely spoken, generally as lingua francas.

130 milion people in Africa speak English as their secondary language, 115 milion speak French as their SL, and 20 million speak Portuguese.
(source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Languages_of_Africa)

This obviously isn't so in Asia. The other thing is that I think the European languages are generally harder for Asians than they are for Africans.

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 33 messages over 5 pages: 2 3 4 5  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version