Canada
Joined 6549 days ago

26 posts - 32 votes
Speaks: English*, Portuguese, French

Message 17 of 33
04 July 2010 at 4:29am | IP Logged 
ennime wrote:
Hi

I was curious, it seems that african languages are quite underrepresented here... or with
learners in general. I notice Kishwahili, and Arabic of course, and some interested here
and there in Zulu and the like... However it's really really little (in terms of
languages sub saharan), and wanted to ask opinions as to why this is. I think one
argument is that there are often very little materials available... but apart from
that... well Afrikaans or Dutch isn't all that more useful than say Oshiwambo or
Chibemba, or Wolof...

I think ignorance is also sometimes part of the reason, as there are some people who just don't know anything (or care to find out) about Africa. In 2010, some people still have to be informed that it's a continent, not a country. Anyway, I am getting ready to learn Yoruba and just bought Colloquial Yoruba (which was published at the end of 2007) for this purpose. The Colloquial series also has Amharic, Swahili, and Somali. I've also seen other resources, including FSI (which can be a bit dated), for Igbo, Hausa, Twi, Swahili, Zulu, and Wolof, to name a few. Hopefully, materials for African learning languages will become even more accessible and popular in the future.   
2 persons have voted this message useful

rasputin
Triglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5776 days ago

21 posts - 24 votes
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French
Studies: German, Italian, Zulu

Message 18 of 33
04 July 2010 at 4:54am | IP Logged 
Calro's right...    you don't hear Swahili spoken anywhere in South Africa.
1 person has voted this message useful

johntm93
United States
Joined 5136 days ago

587 posts - 746 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Spanish

Message 19 of 33
04 July 2010 at 5:46am | IP Logged 
Calro2 wrote:
Ubik wrote:
johntm93 wrote:
Ubik wrote:
And Swahili because it covers pretty much all of
Africa.

i.png">Not exactly...

Edit: That's from the Wikipedia page on Swahili, by the wasy.

Thats where it is considered the official language, but Swahili is understood in most
African countries. It is the language of trade and a lingua franca for most of Africa
from what Ive read from other sources.

Again, not true. I'd say that swahili is NOT understood in most African countries. Quite the opposite. It is largely limited to a section of East Africa.
I'll agree with Calro on this. If you'll look at the map, some of the green extends on to the top bit of Madagascar. Is it the official language just in the top mile or two of Madagascar?

Zorrillo
Pentaglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 6193 days ago

41 posts - 82 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Sign Language, Spanish, Polish
Studies: Greek, Georgian, Indonesian

Message 20 of 33
04 July 2010 at 7:32am | IP Logged 

I wanted to learn Zulu but there is almost nothing to do with it once you have learned it. There is not much of an internet presence for African languages, and little written or audio material.

For those who don't mind religious stuff, the Jehova's Witnesses have a lot of material in a staggering number of obscure languages. They offer free monthly downloadable newsletters of about 20-25 pages in length, in languages such as Zulu, Lingala, Twi, Hausa, and Shona. It won't be everyone's cup of tea, but for some of these "little" languages, it is literally the only practice material you can find aside from the Bible itself.

rasputin
Triglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5776 days ago

21 posts - 24 votes
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French
Studies: German, Italian, Zulu

Message 21 of 33
04 July 2010 at 8:30am | IP Logged 
If you live in Kwa-Zulu (Formerly Natal Province), you'll use Zulu every day of your life... (-:

Lots of good S. African music in Zulu, too...

We should be saying "isiZulu", for that's what the Zulu people call their language.

Derian
Triglot
PolandRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5117 days ago

227 posts - 464 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English, German
Studies: Spanish, Russian, Czech, French, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 22 of 33
04 July 2010 at 2:51pm | IP Logged 
Calro2 wrote:
In 2010, some people still have to be informed that it's a continent, not a country.
Haha, what?!?
Hmm, you live in Canada, ok.

Calro2 wrote:
I think ignorance is also sometimes part of the reason, as there are some people who just don't know anything (or care to find out) about Africa.

There is no obligation to want to learn about Africa or any other continent/country when the "contributions to science, technology, literature, business, and international politics made through those languages" [quote from Dixon] is very insignificant in our part of the world.
It's up to Africa to make itself interesting and encourage people to learn about it.

The other thing is that, linguistically, Africa is more associated with European languages like English, French or Portuguese than its own native languages.

Edited by Derian on 04 July 2010 at 3:09pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

lynxrunner
Bilingual Triglot
United States
crittercryptics.com
Joined 5731 days ago

361 posts - 461 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish*, French
Studies: Russian, Swedish, Haitian Creole

Message 23 of 33
04 July 2010 at 6:47pm | IP Logged 
Derian wrote:
There is no obligation to want to learn about Africa or any other
continent/country when the "contributions to science, technology, literature, business,
and international politics made through those languages" [quote from Dixon] is very
insignificant in our part of the world.
It's up to Africa to make itself interesting and encourage people to learn about
it.

I'm pretty certain that there's great African literature out there; the problem is that
most people won't look any further than their nose is long. There's a lot of great
obscure literature in any language, but most people don't want to actually have to put in
effort to find good literature. The same goes for music.

liddytime
Pentaglot
United States
mainlymagyar.wordpre
Joined 6038 days ago

693 posts - 1328 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Italian, Portuguese, Galician
Studies: Hungarian, Vietnamese, Modern Hebrew, Norwegian, Persian, Arabic (Written)

Message 24 of 33
04 July 2010 at 6:49pm | IP Logged 
Calro2 wrote:
Ubik wrote:
johntm93 wrote:
Ubik wrote:
And Swahili because it covers pretty much
all of
Africa.

i.png">Not exactly...

Edit: That's from the Wikipedia page on Swahili, by the wasy.

Thats where it is considered the official language, but Swahili is understood in most
African countries. It is the language of trade and a lingua franca for most of Africa
from what Ive read from other sources.

Again, not true. I'd say that swahili is NOT understood in most African countries. Quite the opposite. It is largely
limited to a section of East Africa.

Just curious,

I have read that Zulu and Xhosa are more or less mutually intelligible.

What about Swahili? I have heard music sung in Lingala that I could have sworn was sung in Swahili. So even if
Swahili proper is not spoken much outside of Tanzania and Kenya is it close enough to , say, Luganda, Lingala,
Kikongo, Chichewa etc... to pass??

This discussion contains 33 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 1 24 5  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version