Language Learning Forum : Specific Languages Post Reply
chappu
Canada
Joined 5082 days ago

8 posts - 11 votes
Studies: Japanese, Korean

Message 1 of 7
02 July 2010 at 2:14am | IP Logged 
I am having many issues with 이,그,저 (demonstrative)+NOUN. I do not understand how to use the this and that, and when to do so. I am also having troubles when a 은/는 가/이 is needed, and the difference between topic and subject. I am just pretty lost, grammar-wise :( Help please
1 person has voted this message useful

Captain Haddock
Diglot
Japan
kanjicabinet.tumblr.
Joined 6577 days ago

2282 posts - 2814 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: French, Korean, Ancient Greek

Message 2 of 7
02 July 2010 at 2:52am | IP Logged 
Quote:
I am also having troubles when a 은/는 가/이 is needed, and the difference between topic and subject.

I'm only a beginner in Korean, but as far as I know, you have to use 는 or 가 when the noun it's attached to ends in a
vowel sound, and you use 은 or 이 when the noun ends with a consonant (pachim). Because of the rules of pachim, this
consonant sound gets carried over to the beginning of the 은 or 이.

Quote:
and the difference between topic and subject.

In Japanese (and I think Korean is the same), the topic is what it sounds like — it's the general thing you're talking
about. It has no particular relation to the verb. It could be the subject, the direct object, or something else. But the
subject is the main agent carrying out the action of the verb.

ericspinelli
Diglot
Japan
Joined 5592 days ago

249 posts - 493 votes 
Studies: Korean, Italian

Message 3 of 7
02 July 2010 at 2:00pm | IP Logged 
Captain Haddock wrote:
In Japanese (and I think Korean is the same), the topic is what it sounds like

From what I can tell, は and 은/는, が and 가/이 are pretty close, but they aren't the same. One book I have says the following:

서강 간국어 西江韓国語1A翻訳・文法解説 wrote:
韓国語の가/이は基本的には日本語の「が」ni あたるが、日本語に翻訳する際に「は」とyak uした方が自然な場合もある。
例)이름이 워예요? (名前は何ですか)

As for 는/은 in general, the same book has this to say:

서강 간국어 西江韓国語1A翻訳・文法解説 wrote:
'-는/은':「~は」主題を表す助詞
基本的に'-는/은'は、日本語の@は:」にatari 、誰かや何かを紹介するとき①、2つ以上の 事柄を比較するとき②、また何かを強調する とき③に用いられる。名詞の後ろにきて、パ ッチムがないときは'-는'、パッチムがあると きは'-은'がつく。

①안나 씨는 캐나다 사감이에요.→紹介
(アンナさんはカナダ人です。)

②앤디 씨 반은 작아요. 그런게 마이클 씨 방은 커요.→比較
(アンディさんの部屋は小さいです。でもマ イケルさんの部屋は大きいです。)

③백화점이 비싸요. 하지만 물건은 좋아요.→強調
(デパート(百貨店)は高いです。でも品物 はよいです。)

English Translation wrote:
'-는/은':「~は」Topic Particle
For the most part, '-는/은' is the same as Japanese's は. It introduces someone or something (Ex. 1), compares two or more things (Ex. 2), or emphasizes something (Ex. 3). '-는/은' comes after a noun. '-는' when that noun ends in a vowel and '은' when that noun ends in a consonant.

Ex. 1)안나 씨는 캐나다 사감이에요. (Introduction)
Anna is Canadian.

Ex. 2)앤디 씨 반은 작아요. 그런게 마이클 씨 방은 커요. (Comparison)
Andy's room is small but Michael's room is big.

Ex. 3)백화점이 비싸요. 하지만 물건은 좋아요. (Emphasis)
Department stores are expensive but the merchandise is good.

PS-Firefox is giving me 化け文字 and Chrome is 100% no good, but I think you can figure it out with romaji.

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5344 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Korean, Japanese

Message 4 of 7
02 July 2010 at 10:15pm | IP Logged 
chappu wrote:
I am having many issues with 이,그,저 (demonstrative)+NOUN. I do not understand how to use the this and that, and when to do so.

In general:
이 = "this" = close to speaker
그 = "that" = close to listener (or at least nearby)
저 = "that over there" = not close to either person (possibly even out of sight)
(From what I've read, Japanese has these same 3 concepts of location, as well.)

Quote:
I am also having troubles when a 은/는 가/이 is needed, and the difference between topic and subject.

Eric's answer covered 은/는 pretty well, in my opinion, however one thing to note is that it can also be used to show contrast with what is "normal" for that scenario.

Example:
오늘 예뻐요. = You look pretty today.
오늘은 예뻐요. = You look pretty today.
The difference? Since "today" is emphasized in the second sentence, there is some implication that *normally* that person doesn't look pretty, but *today* she does.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Captain Haddock
Diglot
Japan
kanjicabinet.tumblr.
Joined 6577 days ago

2282 posts - 2814 votes 
Studies: French, Korean, Ancient Greek

Message 5 of 7
03 July 2010 at 5:24am | IP Logged 
Quote:
The difference? Since "today" is emphasized in the second sentence, there is some implication that
*normally* that person doesn't look pretty, but *today* she does.

That's pretty much how Japanese works too (marking the topic for contrast).

crafedog
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5627 days ago

166 posts - 337 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Korean, Tok Pisin, French

Message 6 of 7
03 July 2010 at 10:43am | IP Logged 
Warp3's explanation of 이,그,저 is all you'll need. In conversation simply consider where is the object you're talking about? Is it in reach, nearby or in another room/far away etc?

Captain Haddock's explanation on the general use of 은/는 and 가/이 is also very good.

Overall with 은/는 and 가/이 there can be lots of things to consider. One can be for changing the topic or specifying/putting emphasis on something. Other times you have to use 은/는 when talking about a specific situation ("In the 20th century,..." "In certain countries,...") or when changing the subject in a -면 sentence for example. When you want to use the 있다 verb the difference can complicate it slightly and let's not forget adjectives. Sometimes you have to use them differently when you introduce/mention something for the first time and then refer back to it (like in English "A man walks into a bar. The man says...".

There are many, many reasons for the difference in certain situations. I wouldn't worry about them until you're at a much, much higher level and just keep Haddock's explanation in mind. It's like a Korean/Japanese/Russian learner of English getting concerned about the difference between "the bus" and "a bus". It's not that important at most levels and when you have the language ability to care about that issue, you'll probably know it by heart/from experience anyway.

I've heard that 은/는 and 가/이 is one of the most linguistically debated parts of Korean with whole books dedicated to the debate (in Korean of course).

Dixon
Groupie
Canada
Joined 5860 days ago

54 posts - 74 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 7 of 7
03 July 2010 at 5:34pm | IP Logged 
In my personal experience, after finishing the longer Pimsleur course on Korean I felt
very comfortable with the issues you're having. For me, they became automatic. I had read
the grammar rules before doing that course but actually practicing with Pimsleur made
things just sound right or not for me. You'll probably be able to use them correctly
based on feeling after finishing.

You might need some tweaking after the course by listening to how a lot of Koreans use
them though.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version