Diglot
United States
Joined 5289 days ago

173 posts - 235 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: Korean, Spanish, Norwegian, Mandarin, French

Message 1 of 9
07 July 2010 at 10:33pm | IP Logged 
Hey everyone. Thanks to all your help and suggestions(as well as from others) I finally
comprised a good set of Korean materials which I feel comfortable using. The next task
that I have to overcome now, is getting solid audio materials for beginners.

I am not sure if I should jump into watching youtube's for children yet or if I should
start simple podcasts or what. LingQ only has 2 beginner lessons in Korean, then the
next level is Intermediate. I am just starting to grasp the grammar and I know my
listening NEEDS improvement.

Can anyone help me out here?

1 person has voted this message useful

crafedog
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5627 days ago

166 posts - 337 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Korean, Tok Pisin, French

Message 2 of 9
08 July 2010 at 9:27am | IP Logged 
Korean Class 101 is a podcast website with lots of listening opportunities. It's arranged by level but you can also find stuff that does vocab or an audiolog. You can sign up for a week and download a lot or you can pay and have complete access. It's a pretty good site, especially for a beginner (the Beginner podcast series) but eventually I felt that there was too much speaking and not enough learning in each 15 minute podcast. That and I wanted to punch the main guy (Keith) in the face.

This isn't exactly for beginners but a beginner can use it: "Sounds of Korean" by Miho Choo (a very useful author). It's a very detailed book about the sounds of Korean and how they're made. It's got practice parts where you practice differentiating between similar sounds which is good. Recommended but quite detailed for someone who isn't familar with sounds. The CD was useful but I found the book more useful when I came back to it to polish off my Korean sounds when I had a better grasp of the pronunciation already and I knew what my weaknesses were. If you can't hear a sound you sure as hell can't pronounce it (I learnt that the hard way in Korean) so don't take pronuncation lightly. Koreans don't have much exposure to foreigner's speaking their language so your accent/pronunciation has to be good or they won't understand you (imagine a Texan meeting an Irish person for the first time and how tricky it is for them).

2000 Essential Korean Words for Beginners published by Darakwon is also quite useful because though it's main focus is vocabulary, it uses the words in example sentences on a CD. The example sentences don't have any English translations but they're not too difficult and normally pretty good/quite natural.

I heard Pimsleur was quite good from a friend but I haven't tried it myself. It's a bit outdated but for sounds it's supposed to be good.

After you've used these for a little while you should move onto Korean Dramas (Coffee Prince, Hong Gil Dong) as these will really help your listening but I think you'll get more out of it when you're at least going from upper-beginner to low-intermediate.

(My personal favourite book for Korean is "Speaking Korean" by Francis Park. it's ok for sounds but it's really great for Korean grammar. NOT a book for everyone though).

Edited by crafedog on 08 July 2010 at 9:37am

The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5458 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Korean

Message 3 of 9
08 July 2010 at 3:01pm | IP Logged 
Talk To Me In Korean (website.) It has former members of Korean Class 101, it's free, and in a similar format.

ericspinelli
Diglot
Japan
Joined 5592 days ago

249 posts - 493 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: Korean, Italian

Message 4 of 9
08 July 2010 at 4:12pm | IP Logged 
crafedog wrote:
Korean Class 101 is a podcast website with lots of listening
opportunities. It's arranged by level but you can also find stuff that does vocab or an
audiolog. You can sign up for a week and download a lot or you can pay and have
complete access. It's a pretty good site, especially for a beginner (the Beginner
podcast series) but eventually I felt that there was too much speaking and not enough
learning in each 15 minute podcast. That and I wanted to punch the main guy (Keith) in
the face.

When I signed up for the 7 day trial you were able to download not only the lessons but
the PDFs and, most importantly, the trimmed down dialog-only files. These were 20 to
60 second long (for the beginner lessons) Korean-only tracks and contained the
transcript and translation (and romanization, but I deleted that) in the ID3 lyrics
section.

I also definitely agree with the punching of faces, though.

crafedog wrote:
This isn't exactly for beginners but a beginner can use it: "Sounds of
Korean" by Miho Choo (a very useful author).

I also have "Sounds of Korean" but find it so-so. For learning where hangul is not
phonetic and how sounds affect each other the book was great. For learning how to
pronounce the difficult consonants, however, the diagrams of the mouth are not complete
enough and while the written descriptions are detailed (and presumably accurate) they
do not provide enough practical advice. I don't regret buying the book, but I think
paying a patient tutor would be a better method if possible.

crafedog wrote:
I heard Pimsleur was quite good from a friend but I haven't tried it
myself. It's a bit outdated but for sounds it's supposed to be good.

Pimsleur Korean is as boring as every other Pimsleur.

The Real CZ wrote:
Talk To Me In Korean (website.) It has former members of Korean
Class 101, it's free, and in a similar format.

I've been listening to the Talk To Me In Korean lessons that have been uploaded to
LingQ and found them interesting enough to warrant multiple listens. I wish they had
more of their 이야기 (iyagi) series was closer to 5 minutes rather than 9 or 10, but
otherwise I enjoy their material.

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5344 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 
Studies: Spanish, Korean, Japanese

Message 5 of 9
08 July 2010 at 4:33pm | IP Logged 
crafedog wrote:
I heard Pimsleur was quite good from a friend but I haven't tried it myself. It's a bit outdated but for sounds it's supposed to be good.

If the PK course you heard was "a bit outdated" then it's probably the original 10-lesson course (which I've not used, but have heard that it used very outdated language). The newer 30-lesson courses (Comp I and Comp II) have dialog that is plenty up-to-date (it errs a bit on the polite/formal side when it comes to pronoun usage, but it's not outdated).

Overall, I liked PK (I went through all 60 lessons that they offer for Korean), but I would definitely learn in conjunction with other material, most notably so you can learn how to spell what PK teaches (since Pimsleur is audio-only).

I'm still a big fan of Arirang TV's "Let's Speak Korean" show (which you can find on Youtube). I've learned a ton from that show already and I add the examples to my SRS as I go (with grammar notes, when relevant), so I don't forget what I've learned. There are a total of 260 episodes in the season with Lisa Kelley and Stephen Revere (the season I'm using) and each is about 10 min long.

As for sheer listening, I rather like the podcasts here: http://blog.naver.com/ke2565 (though it seems she hasn't posted any new audio in a while). I don't understand a lot of what is said yet, but she speaks quite clearly which is a *big* plus when trying to pick out words and phrases. However, last I checked on LingQ, I noticed there were some lessons with the same title as her podcast series (and the photo looked like her), so it appears those podcasts may be coming to LingQ anyway (which, IMO, would be great news).

Edited by Warp3 on 08 July 2010 at 4:37pm

exscribere
Diglot
IndiaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5088 days ago

104 posts - 126 votes 
Speaks: English*, Danish
Studies: Mandarin, French, Korean, Hindi

Message 6 of 9
08 July 2010 at 5:02pm | IP Logged 
We used the "Let's Speak Korean" in class; I second the Arirang TV recommendation, as well as the Talk To Me In Korean & KClass101.

I also do suggest looking for dubs of kids' cartoons - depending on what your interests are, you might be able to find some. The language might be different but it's a great way to pick up some new audio, listen to constructions, etc.

The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5458 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 
Studies: Japanese, Korean

Message 7 of 9
09 July 2010 at 1:46am | IP Logged 
@Warp3

Kyoungeun is a former member of Korean Class 101 and a current member of Talk To Me In Korean. From what I know, she did most of that stuff between the time she left KC101 and when TTMIK opened.

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5344 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 
Studies: Spanish, Korean, Japanese

Message 8 of 9
09 July 2010 at 9:55pm | IP Logged 
The Real CZ wrote:
@Warp3
Kyoungeun is a former member of Korean Class 101 and a current member of Talk To Me In Korean. From what I know, she did most of that stuff between the time she left KC101 and when TTMIK opened.

Ahhh...I had wondered why she had added a "Talk To Me In Korean" badge on her blog a while back. I guess that explains it...thanks. :)

This discussion contains 9 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version