polikaru
United Kingdom
Joined 5944 days ago

206 posts - 215 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Italian, Dutch

Message 9 of 13
14 July 2010 at 4:52pm | IP Logged 
Hmm, I don't really understand the L-R method, could somebody briefly explain please because the thread on it has become too confusing!
I think for now i'm just going to watch vidoes in Dutch and listen to audio books.

Mark
1 person has voted this message useful

Zeitgeist21
United Kingdom
Joined 5441 days ago

156 posts - 192 votes 
Studies: German, French

Message 10 of 13
14 July 2010 at 5:18pm | IP Logged 
With the L-R method you basically need several materials:
Audio book in target language
Accompanying book in target language*
Book in native (or other highly proficient) language*

*Ideally you would have them combined as a parallel text

Parallel texts are usually in the format: the page on one side in target language, other side in native language. There are many variations however such as the ideal (but extremely time consuming to make) alternating language lines versions. Although this is the easiest one to compare the languages it's more efficient to use page for page parellel texts rather than make a line for line one and then use it. Many people (me included though I haven't used this method extensively) just use books in one language at a time which still works very well, and I'd recommend it as it gives you free reign to choose books which you prefer as opposed to those which are available as parallel texts and it's important to enjoy this process because it's exhausting!

Step 1) Read text in native tongue
Step 2) Listen to text in target language while following it in your native tongue.
Repeat step 2 as many times as you can while still enjoying it, 2 or 3 works best for me
Step 3) Listen to audiobook in target language while reading in target language

Some people recommend to going through it once with the text in the target language while listening to the target language to help you get used to word boundaries though I picked up the basics of German without doing this step.

At first this can be frustrating if you take it too seriously as you will only be able to match the target language audio with the native texts by the full stops and names, and even then you'll occassionally get confused when a sentence break is different in one of the language editons. I did this to start off with German and on my first pass I felt like I learnt nothing, though on the second I started picking up A LOT of commonly used phrases and vocabulary. Though after a few books I switched to passive input and conversations as I enjoyed that more and I was frustrated with the price of good audiobooks (bad audiobooks can kill a fantastic story the same way unfunny people can ruin a brilliant joke). But good luck and I hope my explanation, which will probably vary from the so called official original version but what's official or not doesn't really matter ^^

BASIC SUMMARY - foreign audio + native text (preferrably for longer texts as then you get more exposure to variety of language but with a repetetive idiolect).

EDIT: One more point, you have to do this at a pretty high time intensity for it to work well, i.e. at least 2 hours day though the more intensely you do it the more efficient it is

Edited by WillH on 14 July 2010 at 5:21pm

4 persons have voted this message useful

polikaru
United Kingdom
Joined 5944 days ago

206 posts - 215 votes 
Studies: German, Italian, Dutch

Message 11 of 13
15 July 2010 at 5:19pm | IP Logged 
Thanks a lot for that WillH. I think I'll give it a go as well :) Might come in handy...
Hope your German and French are going well :)

Mark

Vos
Diglot
Australia
Joined 5362 days ago

766 posts - 1020 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Dutch, Polish

Message 12 of 13
23 July 2010 at 10:59am | IP Logged 
For anyone who is using a mac and is trying to watch some videos on www.uitzendinggemist.nl, yet keeps getting
that annoying pop up which says you do not have a particular MIME plug-in. Go
-here- and download the
video player, after installation restart Safari and it should work fine. Had a lot of trouble trying to get those videos
to play and finally found the answer! So thought I'd share in case anyone was having similar problems.
2 persons have voted this message useful

tommus
CanadaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5662 days ago

979 posts - 1688 votes 
Studies: Dutch, French, Esperanto, German, Spanish

Message 13 of 13
23 July 2010 at 2:17pm | IP Logged 
Vos wrote:
For anyone who is using a mac and is trying to watch some videos on www.uitzendinggemist.nl,

It is nice to see the ever-increasing amount of ondertiteling throughout uitzendinggemist. However, there are still considerable challenges for using these ondertitels for learning Dutch. The sub-titles first appeared with SilverLight and were in a separate window. I developed some software to capture those sub-titles to a text file where it is easier to read and keep synchronised. Now the 'improved' version embeds the sub-titels in the video where it is more difficult to capture.

The other major problems: Some (maybe most) sub-titles are very significantly abbreviated and/or altered compared to the actual speech. And for some subtitles, such as for NOS Journaal, the subtitles are about two full sentences AHEAD OF the audio, which makes them very difficult to use effectively.

Currently, my only approach that works is to take a screen capture every time the sub-title changes (using IRFANVIEW) and then replay the video or just audio, and keep synced with the captured images. But that takes a lot of time. I really wish they would include a text file with the sub-titles.

Some of the subtitles are very literal and very useful, but the whole process could be much better, both for language learners and for those with hearing problems.

How do you find the sub-titles? Any techniques you find to be especially useful?

This discussion contains 13 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version