Joined 5627 days ago

722 posts - 1076 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, French, German, Italian
Studies: Russian, Czech, Polish, Greek, Mandarin

Message 9 of 14
04 August 2010 at 5:18pm | IP Logged 
psy88 wrote:
Andrew~ wrote:
Joder vs. Follar and when is it sexual vs. when is it not.

Now, follar, on the other hand, is listed in Spanishdict.com as meaning "f**k" and only in the sexual sense BUT it also says that it's peninsular Spanish, implying that it's not used in Latin America--is this true? I'm a bit confused and would just like some clarification so I don't say something stupid at some point.

I'm primarily concerned with Latin American Spanish

Thanks ahead of time for any assistance.

In the award winning Mexican movie, "Y Tu Mama Tambien", the female character uses "follar" very clearly to mean "intercourse".

But the main female character is Spanish, not Mexican. So it would be more natural for her to use the Spanish term, and not the Mexican.
1 person has voted this message useful

psy88
United States
Joined 5386 days ago

469 posts - 882 votes 
Studies: Spanish*, Japanese, Latin, French

Message 10 of 14
05 August 2010 at 3:14am | IP Logged 
stelingo wrote:
psy88 wrote:
Andrew~ wrote:
Joder vs. Follar and when is it sexual vs. when is it not.

Now, follar, on the other hand, is listed in Spanishdict.com as meaning "f**k" and only in the sexual sense BUT it also says that it's peninsular Spanish, implying that it's not used in Latin America--is this true? I'm a bit confused and would just like some clarification so I don't say something stupid at some point.

I'm primarily concerned with Latin American Spanish

Thanks ahead of time for any assistance.

In the award winning Mexican movie, "Y Tu Mama Tambien", the female character uses "follar" very clearly to mean "intercourse".

But the main female character is Spanish, not Mexican. So it would be more natural for her to use the Spanish term, and not the Mexican.

Excellent point. I had not considered that aspect. I was thinking more in terms of the setting and the actual production, but you make a very good point. The two fellows certainly understood her though :-)

Guido
Super Polyglot
ArgentinaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6323 days ago

286 posts - 582 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, French, English, German, Italian, Portuguese, Norwegian, Catalan, Dutch, Swedish, Danish
Studies: Russian, Indonesian, Romanian, Polish, Icelandic

Message 11 of 14
07 August 2010 at 12:28am | IP Logged 
Andrew~ wrote:
...implying that it's not used in Latin America--is this true?

In Uruguay and Argentina "joder" means "to joke/to tease/to kid/to bother/...". ¡Vos me estás jodiendo! = You gotta be f***ing kidding me!
/ ¡Pará de joder! = Stop bothering! / Es un tipo muy jodido = He's a real nasty piece of work.

Guido

johntm93
United States
Joined 5122 days ago

587 posts - 746 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Spanish

Message 12 of 14
08 August 2010 at 7:01am | IP Logged 
If you want to shout an expletive when you do something, use "verga" or "mierda"
Verga means (according to my understanding) shit
Mierda also means shit (Fun Fact: Merde is French and Merda is Italian for the same
thing)

Also, chingar means f**k, and I've heard my Latin American friends use it to say "f**k
you" or "f**k your mother"

Edited by johntm93 on 08 August 2010 at 7:02am

Ajijic10
Diglot
Mexico
Joined 6710 days ago

161 posts - 210 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish

Message 13 of 14
09 August 2010 at 4:06am | IP Logged 
johntm93 wrote:
If you want to shout an expletive when you do something, use "verga" or "mierda"

"Verga" means "penis" and "mierda" isn't used in Mexico (at least not where I live), nearly as often as we use the word "shit" in USA English. The most common curses that I hear are variations of "chingar" ("me chingaron los vendedores en el mercado!!"), variations of "madre" (like "puta madre!!"), and for a great all-purpose curse, you can't go wrong with the adjective "pinche".

johntm93
United States
Joined 5122 days ago

587 posts - 746 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Spanish

Message 14 of 14
09 August 2010 at 5:36am | IP Logged 
Ajijic10 wrote:
johntm93 wrote:
If you want to shout an expletive when you do
something, use "verga" or "mierda"

"Verga" means "penis" and "mierda" isn't used in Mexico (at least not where I live),
nearly as often as we use the word "shit" in USA English. The most common curses that I
hear are variations of "chingar" ("me chingaron los vendedores en el mercado!!"),
variations of "madre" (like "puta madre!!"), and for a great all-purpose curse, you
can't go wrong with the adjective "pinche".
Yes, I've heard pinche. It means
something along the lines of "f*cking" from what I know, as in "pinche idiota" means
"f*cking idiot."
I only thought verga meant shit because I've heard it used the same way one would use
shit. As in you drop your phone or something and yell "Verga!"
Anyway, thanks for the clarity.
Culer (I think it has the -er ending) means f*ck according to my Peruvian friend.

This discussion contains 14 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version