United States
Joined 5077 days ago

94 posts - 139 votes 

Message 9 of 28
15 July 2010 at 6:46pm | IP Logged 
zerothinking wrote:
There's no doubt going to be people who learn foreign languages
for a long time yet.
English is only spoken by a fraction of the world and if you want to go to a foreign
country and really talk to the locals human-to-human Google translate doesn't help
there
at all. There's probably several thousands of polyglots or more in the world and
millions
upon millions who speak three or four languages. The majority of the planet speaks two
languages. Monolinguals are still the odd ones out.

Are you certain of this? I would think most people in the world have a grasp of only
one language; while the educated people in most countries--with the exclusion of
America--would be more likely to speak several languages. Do most people in China,
Russia, Brazil, Mexico, Turkey, ect.--including farmers, construction workers,
janitors, hairdressers, store clerks, ect.--speak multiple languages? I'm not sure.
1 person has voted this message useful

johntm93
United States
Joined 5137 days ago

587 posts - 746 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Spanish

Message 10 of 28
15 July 2010 at 7:05pm | IP Logged 
aarontp wrote:
zerothinking wrote:
There's no doubt going to be people who learn foreign languages
for a long time yet.
English is only spoken by a fraction of the world and if you want to go to a foreign
country and really talk to the locals human-to-human Google translate doesn't help
there
at all. There's probably several thousands of polyglots or more in the world and
millions
upon millions who speak three or four languages. The majority of the planet speaks two
languages. Monolinguals are still the odd ones out.

Are you certain of this? I would think most people in the world have a grasp of only
one language; while the educated people in most countries--with the exclusion of
America--would be more likely to speak several languages. Do most people in China,
Russia, Brazil, Mexico, Turkey, ect.--including farmers, construction workers,
janitors, hairdressers, store clerks, ect.--speak multiple languages? I'm not sure.
They might. Not because of studying languages, but because of growing up multilingual.

Wikipedia says us monolinguals are outnumbered

Sennin
Bulgaria
Joined 5844 days ago

1457 posts - 1759 votes 
5 sounds

Message 11 of 28
15 July 2010 at 7:35pm | IP Logged 
Iversen wrote:
I agree that the necessity of being a polyglot is dying out in these days where English
and Google Translate are rapidly conquering the world. But there will always be some
collectors out there, and because it has become so much easier to get study materials and
international contacts through the internet I guess that the number of 'silent' polyglots
may be a lot higher than expected.

Google translate has a long way to go, and besides it's no good in real life - you can only use it online.

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6719 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 12 of 28
15 July 2010 at 7:37pm | IP Logged 
"Many countries, such as Belgium, which are officially multilingual, may have many monolinguals in their population. Officially monolingual countries, on the other hand, such as France, can have sizable multilingual populations."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_multilingual_countries_ and_regions
3 persons have voted this message useful

cordelia0507
United Kingdom
Joined 5648 days ago

1473 posts - 2176 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*
Studies: German, Russian

Message 13 of 28
15 July 2010 at 8:31pm | IP Logged 
People from these types of backgrounds often get one or two languages "for free" or with relatively little effort:

People from very small countries
People who live in border areas
People who emigrate or whose parents are immigrants.

The larger the country, the less likely the person is to be good at languages obviously subject to some other factors, but in principle, from a European perspective;

Compare: Brits, French, Russians, Turks, Germans WITH Danes, Latvians, Luxembourgish, Dutch....

Po-ru
Diglot
United States
Joined 5290 days ago

173 posts - 235 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: Korean, Spanish, Norwegian, Mandarin, French

Message 14 of 28
15 July 2010 at 10:38pm | IP Logged 
I would actually say that bi-linguals do outnumber mono-linguals. At least to some
degree, especially the younger generation. In North and South America there aren't many
bi-lingual countries per say, but in the rest of the world, I would say that most
countries do have some sort of bi-lingualism. India and China, two of the worlds most
populous countries are both bi-lingual countries. The bi-lingualism in India is
fantastic, and in China every area has at least their own dialect of Chinese which in
many cases is not so interchangable, let alone the amount of people who know English,
Cantonese, Korean, and other languages of Central Asia. In Central Asia, in places like
Uzbekistan, Kyrgyzstan, Kazakhstan, etc. I believe there is also a high level of bi-
lingualism as well, especially since all of those countries were once forced to speak
Russian.

aarontp
Groupie
United States
Joined 5077 days ago

94 posts - 139 votes 

Message 15 of 28
16 July 2010 at 1:48am | IP Logged 
Well, there you have it then. Here in the U.S., I surmise that very few people speak a
second language at a high level who aren't immigrants or who don't have immigrant
parents. Maybe that will change because of the influx of Spanish speakers; but public
schools are slashing budgets all over the country right now, so I wouldn't count on this
generation of U.S. teenagers being much more bilingual than the generation before. It
seems that most people need to learn a foreign language at an early age to ever become
proficient in it; not because they lose the ability; but because they will never acquire
the motivation to learn otherwise.       

Declan1991
Tetraglot
Ireland
Joined 6249 days ago

233 posts - 359 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Irish, French

Message 16 of 28
16 July 2010 at 1:40pm | IP Logged 
Po-ru wrote:
I would actually say that bi-linguals do outnumber mono-linguals. At least to some
degree, especially the younger generation.
I'd agree. When you consider India at 1.1 ish billion, a huge number of them are bilingual, as well as a substantial proportion of Europe's half a billion. If you add the diglossia in China (and some surrounding areas) and the spread of English in Asia in general, you fast approach half the world.

Edited by Declan1991 on 16 July 2010 at 1:41pm

This discussion contains 28 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 13 4  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version