tracker465
United States
Joined 5162 days ago

355 posts - 496 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Spanish, Dutch

Message 25 of 28
18 July 2010 at 12:30am | IP Logged 
I think that many people still do learn languages even after their college days are completed, though these people are the sort which would be mostly involved in related fields of academia.
1 person has voted this message useful

djc463
Heptaglot
Groupie
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5611 days ago

51 posts - 74 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish, Russian, Portuguese, German, Italian
Studies: Mandarin

Message 26 of 28
18 July 2010 at 4:36am | IP Logged 
aarontp wrote:

I don't consider 18-22 to be an "older age."

I see what you're saying now. I thought you meant only in childhood. In this case I'd definitely agree with you. I'd
say that most don't undertake such strenuous academic studies after having completed their University studies as
well. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

aarontp
Groupie
United States
Joined 5077 days ago

94 posts - 139 votes 

Message 27 of 28
18 July 2010 at 6:39am | IP Logged 
tracker465 wrote:
I think that many people still do learn languages even after their
college days are completed, though these people are the sort which would be mostly
involved in related fields of academia.

I think what you mean by many and what I mean by few are in reality the same. We're
talking about a very tiny percentage of people who have anything to do with academia
after college. What percentage of Americans will even read a translated foreign novel in
the current year let alone study a foreign language? I don't have an estimate, but
whenever I see the results of any such study, the numbers are always astoundingly low.         &n bsp; 

Journeyer
Triglot
United States
tristan85.blogspot.c
Joined 6678 days ago

946 posts - 1110 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, German
Studies: Sign Language

Message 28 of 28
20 July 2010 at 6:01am | IP Logged 
At three languages, including my native one, I don't consider myself a polyglot. In fact, I won't consider myself with that title until I have learned five. And providing that I live a life long enough, I plan on becoming one of those folks who speaks at least ten languages, hopefully more, fluently. I do it for joy, simply because I love the chase of learning a new language, even if I don't really use it often.

That said, I don't ever plan on being famous polyglot. If someone asks me about my language skills, I won't lie about them, but I don't want to brag or seek interviews or fame. It's mostly because I don't want to have to always feel like I'm being put to the test of having to prove something, especially if I speak a language well, but haven't used it for a while or am having a bad language day and botch it.

I think this forum is generally a good environment for language learners, but even here I have seen some frustrating comments and arguments that have helped me decide that I want to be more anonymous about my skills. I think learning a language is a personal choice and a person needn't prove it to others.

If it's a question of fame, I don't want to harm my privacy. Of course, I also don't think they should make claims if they can't back them up, which is another reason I don't want to risk getting a big head or being misinterpreted and thus harming my credibility.

I would talk publicly and openly about all of my language skills and experiences, not to brag, but to hopefully inspire and share a joy of learning and of linguistics.

I'm not polyglot material on the surface. I'm university educated, but not a professional academic and doubt I'll go into that field unless it's some temporary research. I'm from a monolingual non-immigrant, non-worldly family from a small agriculturally-based town in rural Nebraska in the middle of the USA. I'm proud of all that, because in truth I've taken it upon myself to live in Mexico, Germany, and Peru, all for nearly a year apiece, if not more, France for a month, plus various international traveling while living abroad. Although my family is by no means wealthy (by American standards anyways) I certainly haven't had a financially hard life, and I don't mean to convey that, but these factors don't generally create polyglots, as far as I'm aware. As far as I know I'm the only one from my class, and practically from my school, who has taken this path in life. I like my background partly because I think it can help inspire other people who might be in similar situations.

Back before youtube polyglots were well-known, or even before I had heard of youtube I think, I had the idea of recording myself speaking several languages and broadcasting it out, mostly to get tips and feedback from native speakers. I haven't done this yet, but I've enjoyed watching the videos of others. I am not sure I would make such a video now though. First off, I haven't learned my languages as quickly as I had planned, but second off, if I'm to be honest, while I appreciate constructive criticism, I haven't the thickest skin on the block, and after reading some rather needlessly hurtful or unhelpful comments on youtube, I'm not sure I want to expose myself to that particular environment. I would rather seek out natives in the country or through places like this now, I think.

Basically, those are my reasons why I would choose not to go out and seek fame or something like that. I suspect I'm not the only one out there who fits this description.

One other thing: There's a lot of talk about monolingual Americans. Generally this is true, but it seems to me that there are also lots of Americans who speak foreign languages well and who aren't from immigrant families or multilingual areas (borders, reservations, etc). I'm sure I'm biased, since people seek out those with similar interests, but in my view, it feels like the reputed monolingual-ness of the US of A is changing, and that more Americans are becoming more worldly, through studying abroad and so on.

Edited by Journeyer on 20 July 2010 at 6:03am

4 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 28 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 2 3

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version