11 messages over 2 pages: 1 2  Next >>
eccodandini
United States
Joined 5295 days ago

21 posts - 22 votes
Speaks: English*

Message 1 of 11
14 July 2010 at 7:02am | IP Logged 
Hi everyone, I'd like to start learning Dutch and I've narrowed my options down to either the Assimil or the Linguaphone course. I've had two successes with Assimil and one not-so-success. It seems like there are a few duds among the generally good line, so I'm wondering if anyone who has used Assimil for Dutch can tell me if they found it to be a good program, and if they have used Linguaphone as well, if they would suggest it over the Assimil. Thanks much!
1 person has voted this message useful

fanatic
Octoglot
Australia
speedmathematics.com
Joined 6943 days ago

1152 posts - 1818 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, French, Afrikaans, Italian, Spanish, Russian, Dutch
Studies: Swedish, Norwegian, Polish, Modern Hebrew, Malay, Mandarin, Esperanto

Message 2 of 11
14 July 2010 at 7:56am | IP Logged 
I recommend the Assimil Dutch program. I have it and I like it. It is a lot cheaper than Linguaphone and I think it is easier to use. They are the two courses I would recommend for learning the language. I have a copy of the old Dutch Linguaphone but I haven't used it.

I had already learnt some Dutch on my own before beginning Assimil. I found it definitely got me used to sentence construction and using the language in the passive stage because I used to mix it with German. Assimil really helped there.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Chris
Heptaglot
Japan
Joined 6918 days ago

287 posts - 452 votes 
Speaks: English*, Russian, Indonesian, French, Malay, Japanese, Spanish
Studies: Dutch, Korean, Mongolian

Message 3 of 11
14 July 2010 at 8:20am | IP Logged 
What about Colloquial Dutch?

Out of interest there are two Linguaphone Dutch courses, the old style, and a newer one.

Elexi
United Kingdom
Joined 5362 days ago

938 posts - 1839 votes 
Studies: French, German, Latin

Message 4 of 11
14 July 2010 at 1:57pm | IP Logged 
Both - If you can get the Linguaphone from a library or second hand, that is. The Assimil Dutch is one of Assimil's better courses but I would personally start with something a bit more forgiving like Colloquial. I did the Michel Thomas Method courses first and found them very useful alongside Colloquial as a starter course.

vonbladet
Netherlands
Joined 5213 days ago

1 posts - 1 votes

Message 5 of 11
15 July 2010 at 8:33am | IP Logged 
I used Assimil Dutch (the French edition) when I started learning Dutch, and it was great.

I haven't used Linguaphone, or Colloquial or any other self-study books; the rest of the time I had Dutch textbooks as part of classes.

flydream777
Triglot
United States
Joined 6288 days ago

77 posts - 102 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French
Studies: German, Russian, Portuguese, Mandarin, Greek, Hungarian, Armenian, Irish, Italian

Message 6 of 11
16 July 2010 at 3:30am | IP Logged 
Just curious, what was your "dud" Assimil course? I'm kind of overall disappointed with the new "Le Russe" but I'm not sure if I'd say dud. What was yours?

Chris
Heptaglot
Japan
Joined 6918 days ago

287 posts - 452 votes 
Speaks: English*, Russian, Indonesian, French, Malay, Japanese, Spanish
Studies: Dutch, Korean, Mongolian

Message 7 of 11
16 July 2010 at 12:13pm | IP Logged 
Don't underestimate 'Colloquial Dutch', or treat it as a 'starter course' as such. The recorded conversations make no concessions to the learner the way other courses do - they reflect the way Dutch people talk. I would imagine a complete beginner at language-learning would find it rather hard-going.

eccodandini
United States
Joined 5295 days ago

21 posts - 22 votes

Message 8 of 11
16 July 2010 at 2:33pm | IP Logged 
flydream777 wrote:
Just curious, what was your "dud" Assimil course? I'm kind of overall disappointed with the new "Le Russe" but I'm not sure if I'd say dud. What was yours?

Arabic.

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 11 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version