Groupie
United States
Joined 5199 days ago

84 posts - 115 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi

Message 25 of 43
21 January 2012 at 10:54am | IP Logged 
I don't have anything too interesting to say for this log, but it's 4:30 AM and I'm
bored as hell, so I'll give it a shot.

Over the Thanksgiving break I had from college, my friend (from India) and I stayed in
North Carolina with a family friend. This meant a week of hearing nothing but Hindi!
The friend we stayed with is from Chandigarh, his roommate from Hyderabad, and two
friends - one from Delhi and the other also Hyderabad. So not only was I getting a
good opportunity for Hindi practice, but I got to hear different accents and whatnot.
I'm not gonna lie, I did speak English at certain points. But I was loving the
constant exposure to Hindi that I was receiving! But there was one problem (which I'm
glad I experienced): I've always been able to understand people speaking Hindi/Urdu in
person, but at times I had quite a bit of trouble with two of the people. The Punjabi
man in particular had me scratching my head at times upon hearing his speech. But
overall it was not only excellent for my Hindi, but for learning more about Indian
culture in general. Plus the food was always great (daily chai and parathas with
achar)! There were times during which it felt most natural to speak Hindi simply
because I had become so used to hearing it. Oh yeah, also finally saw my first
Bollywood movie in a theater (Rockstar and later Desi Boyz). Between the perfect
weather and having a movie theater that serves samosas, alcohol, and plays new
Bollywood films, I see no reason why I shouldn't move to Raleigh XD.

I'll be going back to college in just a few days, and this semester my friend will be
my tutor. Though I wasn't exactly encouraged to study Hindi this winter break, I'm
very excited that I'll be starting these tutoring sessions this semester. I'm often
unsure of what exactly I should be studying or what will give me the best results, so I
think these sessions will give me the guidance I need. The Teach Yourself book is the
required textbook for this independent study program, but I purchased Usha Jain's
Beginner's Grammar as well, so we will also work with this. I will make sure to focus
on speaking as opposed to writing. While I most certainly want to be able to write
well, my want to speak far outweighs my want to write.

I think that's about it... today's wanderlust language was Georgian. This language has
one of the nicest scripts I've ever seen! And all of those consonant clusters
fascinate me.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Tenebrarum
Groupie
United States
Joined 5199 days ago

84 posts - 115 votes 

Message 26 of 43
10 February 2012 at 5:23am | IP Logged 
I've already had several tutoring sessions since this semester has started, so I
suppose I can update. The first few sessions were awful. Awful simply because I
haven't spoken Hindi in so long that I wasn't even able to form sentences. I was able
to understand everything she said with great ease, but my speaking... So despite my
tutor's helpfulness and encouragement, I was feeling terrible. But I was being stupid
and unconfident, only making things worse for both myself and my tutor. So things have
gotten better since those first few sessions.

In the past I had tried to learn the numbers past 1-20, but it just wasn't working out
and I didn't enjoy it at all. But one day my tutor told me to learn 1-50 by the next
day. So I did! And recently I did the same for 51-100. It will be awhile 'till I'm
able to recall each random number easily, but I've most certainly made progress with
it.

I had abandoned Anki a long time ago as it caused me great frustration, but recently I
tried it again and I think I found a good method to remember new vocabulary. I've
learned that I'm more of a visual learner (at least with words - as I always picture in
my mind how they are spelled). Unfortunately I didn't give enough attention to whether
a word is masculine or feminine in the beginning of my studies, so I'm having to re-
learn many words. To do this I use color to differentiate the two types of nouns in
Anki. And because of my aforementioned visual memory, it seems to be pretty effective.
I've had a couple of five-hour plus study sessions over the past couple of days, so I
really want to keep this up. Usha Jain's Intro to Hindi Grammar is superb. The
explanations are thorough but easy to understand. There are also plenty of exercises.
There is a CD which has nearly nine hours of audio, all of which corresponds with the
drills in the book. There is a translation exercise in each chapter and I find this to
be the most useful drill, but unfortunately it is not on the CD and the book doesn't
have an answer key, so I must consult with my tutor. Also, it seems the CD cannot be
imported into Itunes. But ultimately this is nitpicking with a book that otherwise
seems excellent!

I realized that I too frequently relied on Bollywood for my studying. In other words,
I would not study anything, but then put in a movie and say "well, at least I'll be
getting three hours of listening practice". Three hours of listening (without subs of
course) is indeed good, but without additional studying, it won't do me any good.
Fortunately I'm someone who can watch a movie many times before I tire of it even a
little bit. Over the past few days I've been addicted to Shor in the City - so
I've had a hard time watching any film other than this one. Normally I watch a movie
with subs if it's my first time seeing it (and I'd watch it without subs every other
time), but I think from now on I'll do no subs even if I've never seen the film before
(this is what I'm doing with Aamir).

I'm consistently surprised at just how many grammar constructions and nuances there are
that I have yet to learn. I know that Hindi is not considered one of the hardest
languages out there in terms of grammar, but grammar is my weakness so it is often hard
to wrap my head around certain points. This is why I'm very impressed by people who
are learning grammar-heavy languages (and Navajo? Forget it. I can't even understand
the English explanations!) Once I'm able to produce grammatically correct sentences,
my Hindi will be considerably better.

Well I think that's it for tonight... I'm trying harder to improve my grades this
semester, but despite all the great film classes I'm taking, I often find it difficult
to put down my Hindi resources and study something else. I love learning this language
and I will be making considerable progress this semester.

Edited by Tenebrarum on 10 February 2012 at 5:31am

3 persons have voted this message useful

buchstabe
Tetraglot
Germany
Joined 4495 days ago

52 posts - 108 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, French, Spanish
Studies: Czech, Swedish, Japanese

Message 27 of 43
06 March 2012 at 11:13pm | IP Logged 
नमस्ते तेनेब्ररुम,

you mentioned several times that you like to watch Bollywood films. Have you by any
chance come across shorter formats in Hindi (like sitcoms)?

Thx!
बुच्स्ताबे
1 person has voted this message useful

Medulin
Tetraglot
Croatia
Joined 4461 days ago

1199 posts - 2192 votes 
Speaks: Croatian*, English, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Norwegian, Hindi, Nepali

Message 28 of 43
07 March 2012 at 6:14am | IP Logged 
Sitcoms are not common in India, but soap operas are :)

Tenebrarum
Groupie
United States
Joined 5199 days ago

84 posts - 115 votes 

Message 29 of 43
08 March 2012 at 7:37pm | IP Logged 
buchstabe wrote:
नमस्ते तेनेब्ररुम,

you mentioned several times that you like to watch Bollywood films. Have you by any
chance come across shorter formats in Hindi (like sitcoms)?

Thx!
बुच्स्ताबे

नमस्ते बुच्स्ताबे!

As Medulin has said, serials are more popular, but in general I don't know too much
about either of these. The closest thing I can think of is the comedy Sarabhai vs.
Sarabhai
(just remove the space in some of the links): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarabhai_vs_Sarabhai
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v= bTWpNw-00eY

I've seen pieces of several serials, but I never get around to sticking with one serial
and watching it! However, I will mention two that you can check out, the first of
which I enjoy and feel is better than others I've seen:

Bade Acche Lagte Hain: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bade_Achhe_Lagte_Hain
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v= D1UxDdJozfE

Navya: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Navya
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v= lCx2UjohDMk

Another popular one is Yeh Rishta Kya Kehlata Hai? - I'm not very familiar with
it, but it has won many awards.

As expected you'll often have to deal with/like a ton of melodrama. Frequent are
scenes in which a family stands around in the midst of some kind of argument while the
camera lingers on each person's face XD.

I once found a site on which you could view various serials and turn subtitles on/off -
I don't know remember the name, but if I find it I will post a link in this log. For
the time being, there is this site: http://website.informer.com/visit?domain= apne.tv

At the bottom of the homepage are several channels, each containing either serials or
reality shows such as Roadies and Survivor. Some of the videos are taken
from youtube, so some may not play.

Hope you find something to enjoy here! Thanks for reading/commenting!

-क्रिस

3 persons have voted this message useful

buchstabe
Tetraglot
Germany
Joined 4495 days ago

52 posts - 108 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, French, Spanish
Studies: Czech, Swedish, Japanese

Message 31 of 43
11 March 2012 at 9:37pm | IP Logged 
शुक्रिया!
Thanks for taking the time to compile all those links, Tenebrarum, much appreciated. I checked them out this weekend.
In Sarabhai vs. Sarabhai, I hardly understood anything yet, but I could catch a few sentences in Bade Acche Lagte Hai and several serials I tried on the Hindi TV serials webite, which was fun and exactly what I'm looking for.
I still have to learn a lot of vocabulary before I can hope to be able to watch films, but for getting used to the sound of real language, those shorter formats are handy. :)

Tenebrarum
Groupie
United States
Joined 5199 days ago

84 posts - 115 votes 

Message 32 of 43
29 March 2012 at 3:52am | IP Logged 
No problem buchstabe - glad I could help!
------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------
-

नमस्ते!

आजकल मेरी पढ़ाई ठीक चल रही हैं। कभी कभी मेरी पढ़ाई रुक जाती हैं क्योंकि मैं आलसी जाता हूँ या मुझे दूसरा काम है।
जब मुझे कुछ फ़ुरसत है, तब मुझे हिंदी ही पढ़नी चाहिए। मेरी शिक्षिका ने मुझे बहुत मदद किया है। मैंने उसे बताया कि अभी
हिंदी बोलने का अभ्यास सबसे ज़रूरी बात है क्योंकि इस क्लास को एक ही इम्तिहान है और मैं उसमें भारतीय शिक्षक से बात
करूंगा। मैं शब्द और व्याकरण सीखता हूँ, लेकिन अगर मैं अपनी शब्दावली और व्याकरण की जानकारी इस्तेमाल नहीं करता
हूँ, तो मैं अपनी हिंदी में सुधार नहीं करूँगा। आज मुझे एहसास में हुआ कि मुझे हिंदी बोलने-वाले लोगों से बात करना बहुत
पसंद है। आज मुझे दो दोस्तों मिलना था। वो छोटी सी बातचीत थी, लेकिन मज़ा आया। मैंने मोसेस/लाउशू का "लेवल अप
विडीओ" देखा है और मेरे ख़याल से वह बहुत अच्छा है और मुझे भी ऐसा करना चाहिए। मज़ा और मददगार है।

मेरा विश्वविद्यालय का त्यौहार ख़त्म हो गया है, तो मैंने पिछले हफ़्ते में क्या किया? कुछ ख़ास नहीं... मैं अक्सर लॉन्ग
आइलैंड (मेरा होमटाउन) जाता हूँ, मगर यह बार मैं अपने दोस्त के साथ स्कूल का शहर रहे थे। हमने बहुत बॉलीवुड की
फ़िल्में देखी और दुकानों से कुछ चीजें ख़रीदे। इस शहर में कोई हिन्दुस्तानी रेस्टोरेंट नहीं है, तो यह बुरी बात है इसलिए मैं
हिन्दुस्तानी भोजन खाने का इंतज़ार नहीं कर सकता।

मैं असली में थोड़ी ज़्यादा अंग्रेज़ी के शब्द (exam, grammar, etc.) इस्तेमाल करता हूँ क्योंकि यह तो आम है, पर मैं
लिख रहा हूँ इसलिए मुझे दुसरे शब्द इस्तेमाल करना चाहता हूँ।

------------------------------------------------------------ --

Transliteration (take these spellings with a grain of salt):

namaste!

aajkal meri padhai thik chal rahi hain. kabhi kabhi meri padhai ruk jaati hain kyunki
main aalsi jaata hoon ya mujhe dusra kaam hai. jab mujhe kuch fursat hai, tab mujhe
hindi hi padhni chahiye. meri shikshika ne mujhe bahut madad kiya hai. maine use
bataya ki hindi bolne ka abhyas sabse zaruri baat hai kyunki is class ko ek hi imtihaan
hai aur main usmein bharatiya shikshak se baat karunga. main shabd aur vyaakaran
seekhta hoon, lekin agar main apni shabdavali aur vyaakaran ki jaankaari istemaal nahin
karta hoon, to main apni hindi mein sudhaar nahin karunga. aaj mujhe ehsaas mein hua
ki mujhe hindi bolne-vale logo se bat karna bahut pasand hai. aaj mujhe do dosto milna
tha. vo choti si baatcheet thi, lekin mazaa aayaa. maine moses/laoshu ka "level up
video" dekha hai aur mere khayaal se vo bahut accha hai aur mujhe bhi aisa karna
chahiye. mazaa aur madadgaar hai.

mera vishvavidyaalay ka tyauhar khatm ho gaya hai, to maine pichle hafte mein kya kiya?
kuch khaas nahin... main aksar long island (mera hometown) jaata hoon, magar yeh baar
main apne dost ke saath school ka shahar rahe the. hamne bahut bollywood filmen dekhi
aur dukano se kuch chizen khareede. is shahar mein koi hindustani restaurant nahin
hai, to yeh buri baat hai isliye main hindustani bhojan khaane ka intazaar nahin kar
sakta.

main asli mein thodi zyada angrezi ke shabd istemaal karta hoon kyunki yeh to aam hai,
par main likh raha hoon isliye mujhe dusre shabd istemaal karna chahta hoon.

--- ------------------------------------------------------------ --

Rough translation:

Hello!

Lately my studies have been going fine. Sometimes my studies stop because I get lazy
or have other work. When I have some free time, I need to study Hindi especially. My
teacher has helped me a lot. I told her that currently speaking practice is the most
important thing because this "class" has only one exam and I will have to talk with an
Indian professor. I learn words and grammar, but if I don't use my vocabulary and
grammar knowledge, I won't improve my Hindi. Today I realized that I really like
speaking with Hindi speakers. Today I met two friends. It was only a brief
conversation, but I had fun. I have seen Moses'/Laoshu's level up video and in my
opinion it's good and I should do the same. It's fun and helpful.

My university's break has ended, so what did I do over the last week? Nothing
special... I usually go to Long Island (my hometown) but this time my friend and I
stayed in the town. We watched many Bollywood films and bought some things from
stores. There isn't any Indian restaurant in this town, so this is unfortunate,
therefore I can't wait to eat Indian food.

In reality I use some English words because this is normal, but because I'm writing I
want to use different words.

------------------------------------------------------------ -       

What I've written is pretty boring and obviously limited (and of course more formal
than how I speak), but I know there are mistakes
in here and that's exactly why I wrote this. Any corrections would be greatly
appreciated - thank you!!

Edited by Tenebrarum on 30 March 2012 at 9:27am

This discussion contains 43 messages over 6 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version