Groupie
United States
Joined 5200 days ago

84 posts - 115 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi

Message 41 of 43
02 November 2012 at 5:08am | IP Logged 
The bad news is that for maybe two weeks I wasn't studying Hindi or Ancient Greek
(besides what we do in tutoring and class, respectively). The good news is that things
are back to normal. I had tons of work in various classes and was busy enjoying
turning twenty-one.

The homework my tutor assigns me in Hindi continues to reveal important mistakes (all
to do with grammar, of course). Last night was great as I read several stories from
Usha Jain's reader, learning words and simply enjoying the reading. But other than that
I'm still just trying to get back into my regular studying routine. I haven't even had
the chance to watch many new movies or continue Adaalat. Last Hindi film I saw
was Astitva; quite good and I'm a big fan of Tabu. Also Madhur Bhandarkar's     
Traffic Signals - definitely better than his latest, surprisingly poor
Heroine. I told my friend/tutor that I really have to concentrate on speaking
during sessions (as well as when I'm by myself). Writing exercises have been helpful
but from now on we'll do more speaking, as my exam will be in roughly a month.

Most people in my Ancient Greek class agreed that they are a bit behind in terms of new
grammar. Hearing this, my professor decided to delay the grammar quiz. Seeing as how I
was feeling pretty lost as well, I was thankful and used the time to memorize/learn the
feminine noun declensions in the corresponding chapter. A lot of this stuff is new to
me, but I think I can get used to it if I put in the effort. I'm most likely taking
Ancient Greek II next semester (also my last), partly out of interest and because this
professor is one of my favorites. Only a couple of other people will be in the class
and I think I'll benefit from this.

As I mentioned in my last post, I'm quite sure of what language I would seriously study
after Hindi, but because I'm taking Ancient Greek now, I'd rather just continue it
next semester. Plus, my love for Hindi and my interest in improving it always seems to
overwhelm any thoughts of wanderlust.

Edited by Tenebrarum on 02 November 2012 at 5:17am

1 person has voted this message useful

Tenebrarum
Groupie
United States
Joined 5200 days ago

84 posts - 115 votes 

Message 42 of 43
14 December 2012 at 1:46pm | IP Logged 
Well, my second to last semester is basically over and I'll very soon be going home for
winter break. Even though I still have a final today, it feels great to be done with
all the papers and presentations. Hindi studies haven't been happening because of all
the work I've had, but they will resume over break. Studying Hindi is, even more so
than before, very much a hobby. I take time out of other activities for it not because
I need to, but because I want to.

My next semester language plans have changed a bit. I decided to not take Ancient Greek
102. I was going back and forth with this decision, but the one I settled on is
definitely the right one. While I enjoyed the class and was happy to learn a bit of the
language, continuing wasn't in my best interests for various reasons. But I now have
even more respect for people studying Ancient Greek or any similar language XD.

The other change is that my friend won't be able to tutor me next semester. I was aware
of the possibility of this happening so it's not a big deal. While she has been very
helpful, I can of course continue learning on my own (especially using Lang-8) and I'll
have one less final exam to worry about! That's pretty much all I have as far as news
goes, but I'll leave you with the last thing I've written in Hindi - just to give you
an idea of where I'm at. Below it is the translation.

मैं अगले सत्र की कक्षाएँ चुन चुका हूँ। यह सत्र ख़त्म होनेवाला है और अगला सत्र मेरा आखरी है। चूँकि मैं सब ज़रूरी कक्षाएँ
ले चुका हूँ, मैं सिर्फ़ electives चुने हुए। मेरा मुख्य विषय जन संचार है, लेकिन अगले सत्र की कक्षाएँ दुसरे विषयों ही के
बारे में हैं। एक कक्षा इंका की संस्कृति के बारे में है। मुझे इस संस्कृति में दिलचस्पी है और एंथ्रोपोलॉजी अक्सर दिलचस्प है।
दूसरी कक्षा यूनानी और रोमवासी साहित्य के बारे में है। हालाँकि मुझे साहित्य के बारे में सीखने में आनंद आता है, मैं अपनी
भाषा में किताबें नहीं पढ़ता हूँ। फिर भी मुझे यह शिक्षक पसंद है और मैं इसी सत्र प्राचीन यूनानी पढ़ रहा हूँ। मैंने दर्शन शास्त्र
की कक्षा कभी नहीं ली है, पर अगले सत्र मैं "मीडिया की नीति" लूँगा। मैं एक समाज शास्त्र की कक्षा लेने की कोशिश
करूँगा। चूँकि वह मेरी पहली समाज शास्त्र की कक्षा होगी, मैंने शिक्षक से पूछा अगर वह एक पत्र पर हस्ताक्षर कर सकते हैं।
कक्षा का नाम "सामाजिक पथांतरण" है। मैं एक भूगोल की कक्षा भी लूँगा। कुछ समय पहले मेरी दोस्त ने मुझे बताया कि वह
कक्षाओं के कारण मुझे हिंदी सिखा नहीं पाएगी। यह तो ठीक है। मैं हिंदी पढ़ता रहूँगा और मैं खुश हूँ कि मुझे कुछ दिनों पहले
हिंदी परीक्षा लेकर "A" मिला। अगर मैं पाँच कक्षाएँ लेता हूँ, तो सब ठीक हो जाएगा और मुझे अपनी उपाधि मिल जाएगी।

I have already chosen classes for next semester. This semester is finished soon and the
next semester will be my last. Because I've already taken all of the required classes,
I've chosen only elective classes. My major is Mass Communication, but next semester's
classes are about different topics. One is about the Inca culture. I am interested in
this culture and I usually find Anthropology interesting. The second class is about
Roman and Greek literature. Although I enjoy learning about literature, I don't often
read books in English. Even so, I like this professor and I'm currently taking Ancient
Greek. I've never taken a Philosophy course, but next semester I'll be taking Media
Ethics. I'll try to take one Sociology course. Because it will be my first Sociology
class, I asked the professor if he can sign a form. The name of the class is Societal
Deviance. I'll also take one Geography class. Some time ago, my friend told me that,
due to classes, she won't be able to teach me Hindi. That's okay. I'll continue to
study Hindi and I'm happy that, a few days ago, I got an A on the Hindi exam. If I take
five classes then everything will be okay and I'll get my diploma.     

Tenebrarum
Groupie
United States
Joined 5200 days ago

84 posts - 115 votes 

Message 43 of 43
01 December 2013 at 7:57am | IP Logged 
Wow so it's been a long time since I've written anything here. After college I took several months off from Hindi. Unfortunately I just didn't have much interest in it - I even stopped watching Bollywood movies completely! So things were not looking good for me... but then my (Indian) friend ended up going back to India and long story short she invited me to stay with her family in Mumbai because she was going to be there for sometime. So I was in Mumbai for over a month (starting in late September) and then I went off alone to Lucknow and then Varanasi for a total of 9 nights. Of course I have a lot to say about the trip, but basically it was amazing. And as far as language is concerned, I stupidly didn't speak much Hindi when I was with my friend and her family, but as soon as I was out on my own, I spoke nothing but Hindi. Even though it was only 9 nights, the Hindi I already knew became automatic and speaking never felt better/easier. And on that note, I can't even imagine what my trip would've been like had I not had any knowledge of Hindi. As soon as I starting speaking it, people fell in love with me - one auto driver told me (in Hindi) "you've become famous in Lucknow". Not to mention the times an auto driver and I were lost... I'll give a more detailed account of my travels soon, but this should be enough for now!

Edited by Tenebrarum on 01 December 2013 at 8:03am

This discussion contains 43 messages over 6 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version