Speaks: English*
Studies: Finnish, Norwegian

Message 9 of 16
19 July 2010 at 11:08am | IP Logged 
Javi wrote:
ericspinelli wrote:
You don't have to use an SRS. I didn't. And I learned Japanese
just fine.

I prefer "bookstore" over SRS software. "Bookstore" provides a number of ways to
organize and format the language, but I prefer to use a classic feature called "novel."
"Novel" doesn't support isolated kanji but it comes with plenty of example sentences
and lots of repetition, plus it's mobile. The spacing algorithm can be sporadic but I
still find I remember the words I need. "Bookstore" is not a free program, but I've
heard certain environments support a comparable open source project called "library,"
though I've heard "library" is apt to crash when using the in-program "note" tool.

Anki, Memnosyne, and most other SRS systems involve reading - be it single words,
kanji, or full sentences - with the goal of memorizing vocabulary and grammatical
patterns. I think it is better to read more and more varied Japanese with more and
fuller context than to repeat the same material piecemeal. Language is repetitive by
nature - we don't need an SRS - and the benefits of a natural reading experience
outweigh the downsides of irregular exposure.

How should you organize decks for Anki or other programs? I don't use a software
program, but I fulfill the same goals through books. Should you have words? Sentences?
I prefer paragraphs and pages. Should you have multiple sentences per word? That is a
non-issue with books.

What makes you think that people working with SRS do not read novels? And don't tell me
you haven't heard of book reading features like quoting, bookmarking, underscoring, re-
reading and memorisation of certain passages from your favourite books. SRS can
definitely help with this kind of repetition. Anyway, if you prefer to never read the
same paragraph twice, it's totally up to you. No one has ever said that SRS is a
requirement, it's just that some people like it because they think it's more effective,
fun or both.

I concur with Javi, I read novels, then put the words I don't know into SRS so I can learn their meaning for the next time I see them. And I do the same thing for sentences, by putting the sentences I find interesting or using an unknown word into SRS. I actually find it a little offensive for you to say that reading books is better than SRS in every way. I think they supplement each other quite nicely, and there's no good reason why they can't work in tandem. They're just different tools that help exercise the target language in different ways. I recognize that you have been able to achieve your language goals without the use of SRS, and that's fine. Everyone's different. But that's no reason to put down an entire learning strategy just because it doesn't suit your style of learning.
1 person has voted this message useful

Andy E
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6899 days ago

1651 posts - 1939 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French

Message 10 of 16
19 July 2010 at 12:25pm | IP Logged 
Ocius wrote:
SRS algorithms are not designed to get past the short-term memorization hurdle, but rather to avoid long-term forgetting. In the short term (i.e. the first 30 minutes to an hour after seeing the word), you're probably going to need to use a different review technique to at least bump the word up to the point where it'll last 'til the first Anki/Mnemonsyne interval. Whether this is via finding a meaningful context for the word or simply through rote memorization is up to you.

I have to admit I've not used Mnemonsyne and I'm still getting to grips with Anki but with the latter you can make this work. The trick is to give all new cards a low mark (i.e. 1) to ensure they get shown again within a short interval and if the default of 10 minutes is deemed too short, it can be easily changed.

I used to use my own Leitner-style SRS software which "required" showing each new card 3 times before it could be promoted to the next box. New cards were then scheduled again for a few hours later - the idea being that they were presented in the morning and then again in the evening. Anki can be set up to do the same thing.

Javi
Spain
Joined 5777 days ago

419 posts - 548 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*

Message 11 of 16
19 July 2010 at 2:15pm | IP Logged 
I've found that if you are already comfortable with the sounds and phonemes of your
target language and you learn the words as you find them in real contexts, then things
get a hell of a lot easier. There's no need to drill. With Mnemosyne I see the word the
next day as the first interval and I find it appropriate most of the time. I think it's
better to relax a bit and not try to turn the active learning of vocabulary into your
main activity. As long as you keep reading, listening and speaking, you're bound to
learn a lot of new words without any concious effort, so don't get anal about SRS, it's
not meant to be exhaustive. You don't need to look up every new word you come across,
nor to add it to you SRS collection. I rather think of this tool just as a way to stay
focussed and don't forget that I'm a learner and need to be attentive. It's very easy to
slip into the habit of just going for the gist, the story, and stop improving,
especially if you don't speak on a regular basis and all you get is input.

luhmann
Brazil
Joined 5129 days ago

156 posts - 271 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*
Studies: Mandarin, French, English, Italian, Spanish, Persian, Arabic (classical)

Message 12 of 16
19 July 2010 at 3:48pm | IP Logged 
Here's my beginner's flashcard strategy:

I Only learn words I have found on my textbook or reading. On the question side, I write the word. On the answer side, I write the sentence in which the word appeared, and the number of the page. I don't write the translation anywhere, I refer to the book or to a dictionary if I have to -- but I don't usually need it, since I will remember where I have taken the sentence from.

I will only start feeding wordlists, for languages I'm already at an advanced level.

ericspinelli
Diglot
Japan
Joined 5579 days ago

249 posts - 493 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: Korean, Italian

Message 13 of 16
19 July 2010 at 5:32pm | IP Logged 
Javi wrote:
No one has ever said that SRS is a
requirement, it's just that some people like it because they think it's more effective,
fun or both.

Exactly. But the OP had some doubts that using an SRS program wasn't effective so I
posted an alternative.

feanarosurion wrote:
I recognize that you have been able to achieve your language goals
without the use of SRS, and that's fine. Everyone's different. But that's no reason to
put down an entire learning strategy just because it doesn't suit your style of learning.

Put down?

Bao
Diglot
Germany
tinyurl.com/pe4kqe5
Joined 5562 days ago

2256 posts - 4046 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Spanish, Japanese, Mandarin

Message 14 of 16
19 July 2010 at 7:31pm | IP Logged 
I think most of your problem will already be resolved by you not learning 1kyuu vocab until you're ready for it.

It would be somewhat helpful to know more about your level and the methods you used so far, because they vary a lot in learners of Japanese.

Out of personal experience I have to say that learning vocabulary out of a list somebody else created is not very useful. Even if it's a frequency list! Downloading a premade deck or list is not a bad idea, as long as you don't just let the program choose what you will study next. I don't know how mnemosyne works because I'm using anki, but you probably also have a feature to choose which words you want to study next.
I would typically work through any kind of text (textbook or media for native speakers), then take the words and grammar items you still need to know, look if they already are in your SRS, if not add them, and schedule them for the day or the next couple of days. Review them, and after a week or so review the first text. There might be some items you won't understand, and for those you will need additional input, not mindless drilling.

Also, regarding bad habits: Mistakes are ok. Mistakes are essential if you want to make progress. Even if you form bad habits, you can get rid of them as long as you accept criticism. Learning a language is a very complex task and hard work anyway, and there is no way to do it perfectly or get everything right from the start. If somebody claims that they're either a moron, or pretty ignorant about their own learning processes. (Of course you can learn to correctly use a word or grammar item if you have a hundred examples and drill each of those dozens of times, but that doesn't mean it has to be the only way, or that it is wrong to encounter it first, try to understand it and then use it and be corrected by a teacher or language partner until you get it right.)

Edited by Bao on 19 July 2010 at 10:14pm

feanarosurion
Canada
Joined 5077 days ago

217 posts - 316 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Finnish, Norwegian

Message 15 of 16
19 July 2010 at 8:00pm | IP Logged 
ericspinelli wrote:

feanarosurion wrote:
I recognize that you have been able to achieve your language goals
without the use of SRS, and that's fine. Everyone's different. But that's no reason to
put down an entire learning strategy just because it doesn't suit your style of learning.

Put down?

Well, that cleverly constructed post seemed to compare reading to SRS with reading coming out on top every time. That makes a few assumptions, especially when you said yourself that you don't use SRS, so you don't know how it could help you. Now, I understand that you were just trying to present alternatives. Fair enough. Let's just get back to the topic.

Edited by feanarosurion on 19 July 2010 at 8:01pm

slucido
Bilingual Diglot
Spain
https://goo.gl/126Yv
Joined 6471 days ago

1296 posts - 1781 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Spanish*, Catalan*
Studies: English

Message 16 of 16
19 July 2010 at 9:04pm | IP Logged 

I know people who have used SRS software and don't like them. One of them is programmer and he wants to forget about software at home. The other one feels bad about every day repetitions. It's the SRS hell.

Personally I like Anki.

This discussion contains 16 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version