Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Spanish

Message 9 of 12
21 July 2010 at 5:48am | IP Logged 
nogoodnik wrote:
johntm93 wrote:
nogoodnik wrote:
johntm93 wrote:
Your profile says you know French...Assimil has a Georgian course with French as the base language.

But is it a full course? I thought it was just one of those pocket phrasebooks. It would be awesome if I am mistaken and they made a real course...
You are correct. I didn't do a search when I looked originally, I just looked on the drop-down list. Thanks for the correction.

Also...Christopher, why do you want to learn Georgian (I'm just curious)?

I was afraid of that. I was hoping I was the one who made the mistake. I would be learning Georgian now if Assimil made a with ease course.

We can always hope...I'd probably learn it eventually if they make one, I think the Georgian alphabet looks cool.
1 person has voted this message useful

ChristopherB
Triglot
New Zealand
Joined 6127 days ago

851 posts - 1074 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: English*, German, French

Message 10 of 12
21 July 2010 at 6:41am | IP Logged 
Thanks for all the replies so far. I'm aware of all the English-language resources and even the German ones. If there truly are more resources for German (and by the looks things there are) then I can consider myself home and hosed!

johntm93 wrote:
Also...Christopher, why do you want to learn Georgian (I'm just curious)?

Well I'm toying with the idea at the moment, but mainly because it's utterly alien to anything else that I know or know of linguistically. The idea of being able to hit a Georgian news site and read everything with ease is extremely enticing (as I dare say it would be to a good many people on these boards). Truly, I would be interested to know how Georgian's difficulty compares to say, Korean or Hungarian but that would probably require another thread.

Basically, I have an enjoyable but time-consuming habit of assembling resources and creating "plans of attack" in my head long before I ever actually get around to learning them. Georgian will be doubly tough, not least because of its inherent linguistic difficulty, but also because the overwhelming majority of resources appear to be very dry, heavily linguistic grammatical treatises, some resources of which appear to have no accompanying audio either. But I'm still sure it can be done!

(Little off-topic, but Dunwoody Press recently published a 900 or so page Georgian->English dictionary which actually lists individual conjugations at separate entries, so for those who know how alien Georgian's verbal system to us lowly English-speakers, such a resource can only be a god-send.)

johntm93
United States
Joined 5138 days ago

587 posts - 746 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Spanish

Message 11 of 12
21 July 2010 at 7:43am | IP Logged 
Christopher B wrote:
. The idea of being able to hit a Georgian news site and read everything with ease is extremely enticing

Going on any foreign language news site and being able to read everything with ease is extremely enticing :P

Edited by johntm93 on 21 July 2010 at 7:44am

ChristopherB
Triglot
New Zealand
Joined 6127 days ago

851 posts - 1074 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: English*, German, French

Message 12 of 12
21 July 2010 at 7:54am | IP Logged 
Right you are!

This discussion contains 12 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version