Triglot
Canada
Joined 5040 days ago

37 posts - 50 votes
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Portuguese

Message 1 of 13
30 July 2010 at 7:22pm | IP Logged 
Has anyone got suggestions for material to learn Brazilian Portuguese? I already speak French and Spanish, so I figured it would be worth (and relatively easy) getting the basics down. I do not aim for a great level (for now), I just want to get along.

The most widely available in my area is the Assimil brazilian portuguese. Has anyone tried it? Any cheaper/better options?

Thank you!
1 person has voted this message useful

lingoleng
Germany
Joined 5086 days ago

605 posts - 1290 votes 

Message 2 of 13
30 July 2010 at 9:10pm | IP Logged 
Have a look at
BrazilianPodclass by Marina Gomes.
I find it very good.
The (excellent) audio is for free, and if you want you can pay a very reasonable fee for additional material, give it a try. Lessons 1-18 form a course for beginners.

Some more sources I used and use:
The youtube channel of Charlles Nunes, especially the videos "365 common words" and the corresponding web page http://www.learn-portuguese-now.com/. There is a booklet for "365 common words", for someone with Spanish and English it may be an ideal tool for getting started.

Professor Jason has some instructive lessons for Spanish and Portuguese, useful for a contrastive introduction. He is competent and I like his style.

Ta Falado is intended for people who speak Spanish and want to learn Portuguese.

Edited by lingoleng on 31 July 2010 at 1:24pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

ellasevia
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2011
Germany
Joined 5930 days ago

2150 posts - 3229 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Croatian, Greek, French, Spanish, Russian, Swedish, Portuguese, Turkish, Italian
Studies: Catalan, Persian, Mandarin, Japanese, Romanian, Ukrainian

Message 3 of 13
30 July 2010 at 9:32pm | IP Logged 
I don't know about Assimil as I've never used it, but I could recommend Ultimate Portuguese (Beginner-Intermediate) by Living Language. It should make you quite familiar with some Portuguese and take you to an intermediate level, possibly higher. I definitely would not recommend this particular book (although its French, German, Italian, and Japanese counterparts are excellent; Arabic, Chinese, Russian, and Spanish also exist but I've never used them) to someone who doesn't already have some knowledge of Portuguese or another Romance language as it is often organized poorly, particularly in the vocabulary lists, but if you speak Spanish and French already this should not be a problem. It wasn't a perfect course, but it wasn't too bad either.

Another one I might recommend is Colloquial Portuguese of Brazil, although I've never used it. I have used some of the second book from that series, Colloquial Portuguese of Brazil 2, and from that it seems that the first book gives you a nice base in the language.

Boa sorte!

Edited by ellasevia on 31 July 2010 at 6:44pm

johntm93
United States
Joined 5115 days ago

587 posts - 746 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Spanish

Message 4 of 13
30 July 2010 at 9:44pm | IP Logged 
I figure Assimil and Michel Thomas will give you a great base

g.polskov
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5040 days ago

37 posts - 50 votes
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Portuguese

Message 5 of 13
02 August 2010 at 7:47am | IP Logged 
Thank you for the good info and quick replies. I already checked out the podcasts (that do look good) but I became worried a bit.

I knew Portuguese was similar to Spanish because I have been looking at the language for a while before I decided to give it a go, but it might be even more so than I thought. I can understand literally everything the lady says without having any form of portuguese basics (slowly and pretty easy vocabulary but still). Is the risk of mixing them up really considerable? On the other hand, does it make you lazy about learning because you think you are good as you can understand, yet you can not really speak?

I figure once I get a deeper understanding of the language I'll get to see more differences and tell a word definitely sounds more portuguese than an other.

Edited by g.polskov on 02 August 2010 at 7:49am

ellasevia
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2011
Germany
Joined 5930 days ago

2150 posts - 3229 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Croatian, Greek, French, Spanish, Russian, Swedish, Portuguese, Turkish, Italian
Studies: Catalan, Persian, Mandarin, Japanese, Romanian, Ukrainian

Message 6 of 13
02 August 2010 at 8:07am | IP Logged 
About 85% of the vocabulary is similar or the same between Spanish and Portuguese, and most of the grammar is extremely similar too. Portuguese grammar can be a little more complicated because of the existence of two extra tenses that aren't used in Spanish: the personal infinitive and the future subjunctive. Also, depending on which dialect you choose (European or Brazilian), object/reflexive pronouns can be a nightmare to use, but if you choose the Brazilian dialect they're used almost the same as in Spanish.

Portuguese pronunciation is a little more complicated and sounds quite different from Spanish but will depend on the dialect you choose. The sound differences will probably take some time to sink in because your brain will recognize a word as similar to Spanish and as such try to read/pronounce it like that. So, for example you might see restaurante and read "rre-stau-ran-te" like in Spanish, whereas in Brazilian Portuguese it would be pronounced as "he-stau-ran-chee."

When I was studying Portuguese in the beginning, I was feeling pretty lazy because of the similarities, which caused me to get a messy and unstructured foundation in the language, which made it so that I always based my Portuguese on my Spanish first. I would say to use Spanish as a help for comparison and such, and a crutch for unknown vocabulary, but don't take advantage of the similarities otherwise you'll end up speaking Portañol. In other words, use Spanish to help you guide you along, but make sure to keep them very separate in your mind and not to rely too heavily on Spanish.

If you're worried about getting some stuff mixed up and you'd like more of a challenge, try European Portuguese. The pronunciation is much more difficult to understand in my opinion and the usage of the grammar is more "formal" so unlike in Brazil you can't say eles se lavarão (ellos se lavarán) but the weird construction eles lavar-se-ão...and other strange things like that.

Portuguese is a great language and I really encourage people to study it and not to let it be eclipsed by its better-known siblings Spanish, French, and somewhat Italian. Many people even forget to include Portuguese (and especially Romanian) when talking about Romance languages! Portuguese has more native speakers than Italian and French and is the second most spoken Romance language (by native speakers) after Spanish. It even has more native speakers than Russian!

Boa sorte com os seus estudos da língua portuguesa. É uma das minhas favoritas.

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6697 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 7 of 13
02 August 2010 at 5:07pm | IP Logged 
I think FSI Portuguese is based on the Brazilian variety.

JPike1028
Triglot
United States
piketransitions
Joined 5185 days ago

297 posts - 337 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Italian
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Arabic (Written), Swedish, Portuguese, Czech

Message 8 of 13
02 August 2010 at 5:37pm | IP Logged 
I just started Portuguese and am using the following things:

1.) Pimsleur for a very basic foundation
2.) Essential Grammar published by Dover
3.) L-R the New Testament through wordproject.org
4.) Reading two newspaper articles a day
5.) Scriptorium on one of the two newspaper articles
6.) I write a blog post in Portuguese every Friday
7.) I am thinking about beginning to use the FSI Portugese which is mainly based on Brazilian Portuguese

Assimil for Portuguese appears to not be avaialbe for English speakers - I do not know if there is one for Spanish speakers.

This discussion contains 13 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version