Canada
Joined 5040 days ago

37 posts - 50 votes
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Portuguese

Message 9 of 13
02 August 2010 at 8:00pm | IP Logged 
@ellasevia

Speaking with a Spanish grammar does worry me. I met in Mexico someone who spent a year studying in Brazil (who spoke very good Portuguese) that was telling me how easy it has been for him to pick up Spanish. But he would use weird grammar and tons of words that were not quite right (which I assumed were portuguese words). He also had this very typical singing in his sentences. Anyway, everybody knew that he spoke Portuguese.

As for European Portuguese, it is not the first time I hear this. Though it is somewhat attractive, I think Brazilian is still a lot more potentially useful to me, especially being North American. As I do not have a preference yet, I better start with Brazilian, there is always time to change/learn about European.

And I like the idea of speaking the main "new world" languages with their americanized versions. I like concepts haha.
1 person has voted this message useful

Kai13
Diglot
Portugal
Joined 5004 days ago

2 posts - 2 votes
Speaks: Portuguese*, English

Message 10 of 13
16 August 2010 at 10:12am | IP Logged 
ellasevia wrote:
The pronunciation is much more difficult to understand in my opinion and the usage of the grammar is more "formal" so unlike in Brazil you can't say eles se lavarão (ellos se lavarán) but the weird construction eles lavar-se-ão...and other strange things like that.

It's a rare use that one you mention. Anyone here in Portugal would use "eles vão se lavar" instead of "eles lavar-se-ão".

For a Spanish learner of portuguese I believe european portugese is easier because of the pronouciation.

ellasevia
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2011
Germany
Joined 5930 days ago

2150 posts - 3229 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Croatian, Greek, French, Spanish, Russian, Swedish, Portuguese, Turkish, Italian
Studies: Catalan, Persian, Mandarin, Japanese, Romanian, Ukrainian

Message 11 of 13
16 August 2010 at 10:35am | IP Logged 
Kai13 wrote:
For a Spanish learner of portuguese I believe european portugese is easier because of the pronouciation.

How odd. I myself gave up on European Portuguese and switched to Brazilian Portuguese specifically because the pronunciation was easier and closer to that of Spanish. Also, there are more materials for Brazilian Portuguese.

g.polskov
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5040 days ago

37 posts - 50 votes
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Portuguese

Message 12 of 13
20 August 2010 at 9:19pm | IP Logged 
ellasevia wrote:
Also, there are more materials for Brazilian Portuguese.

Wow, certainly not where I live. Probably because as we are such a small French market, we get our stuff from Europe, whence the European Portuguese thing.

I always thought it was weird I could barely get material for a language spoken by close to 200 million speakers on my continent, yet find such an aboundance of material for its variant spoken by 10 million people across the ocean. I have only found dictionnaries with Portugal's flag so I rely on the small one at the end of my Assimil book (the only learning material on Brazilian I have found here) as the spelling\vocabulary is significantly different. Hey, I am annoyed at my France-Spain dictionnary while I speak both americanized versions, so I won't make the same mistake with a language that is even more different.

iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Speaks: Ladino
Joined 5050 days ago

2237 posts - 6731 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Creole (French)

Message 13 of 13
21 August 2010 at 3:37am | IP Logged 
I know what you mean about European vs New World. When I lived in England, every time I opened my mouth I was a "colonial". I was in Spain for 3 months and was a colonial there too because I spoke Latin American Spanish: "la guagua" instead of "autobús" "¿mande?" instead of "¿qué?" and "jugo de china" instead of "zumo de naranja", etc.....

You might try this website intended for Spanish Speakers who want to learn Portuguese developed by the University of Arizona:
http://portspan.cercll.arizona.edu/Atividades/atividades.htm
There's a very useful blog with good links- "On Learning Brazilian Portuguese" Tips and web resources from an American student:
http://erikspen.wordpress.com/

Hope this helps. Boa sorte!

Edited by iguanamon on 21 August 2010 at 3:51am

This discussion contains 13 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version