Joined 5062 days ago

74 posts - 102 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, Slovak*, French, English, German, Polish, Spanish, Russian
Studies: Italian, Hungarian

Message 9 of 19
10 August 2010 at 4:23pm | IP Logged 
ChristianVlcek wrote:
Madman6510 wrote:
I have personally never been able to roll my Spanish rr properly. Teacher spent 10 minutes trying to teach me how to do it, never was able to figure it out really.

10 minutes. Man, it took me 2 years to be able to roll my rs again after not speaking Slovak for 10 years.

Many children in Slovakia learn the rolled 'R' as one of the last sounds, with the age of 4-5. There are even adults who do not pronounce it correctly (they pronounce it more like the French 'R', which is not used in Slovak).

1 person has voted this message useful

Derian
Triglot
PolandRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5096 days ago

227 posts - 464 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English, German
Studies: Spanish, Russian, Czech, French, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 10 of 19
10 August 2010 at 4:33pm | IP Logged 
eumiro wrote:
Many children in Slovakia learn the rolled 'R' as one of the last sounds, with the age of 4-5.
Yup, I've learned to make an 'R' very late - when I was six.
It was very hard for me, because all the kids at the kindergarten could do it and only I couldn't. One day I just woke up and made it :)
It is always a big thing in the family, when a kid makes his/her first 'R'.
4 persons have voted this message useful

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5799 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 11 of 19
10 August 2010 at 5:57pm | IP Logged 
Britomartis wrote:
You might be trying too hard. If you blow too hard over your tongue, it won't roll.

This is possible.

The other possibility is that you're trying too hard. If you tense up your tongue it won't be springy enough. Frustration leads to tension, so don't hassle yourself too much about not getting it.

PaulLambeth
United Kingdom
Joined 5161 days ago

244 posts - 315 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Icelandic, Hindi, Irish

Message 12 of 19
11 August 2010 at 2:17pm | IP Logged 
Derian wrote:
eumiro wrote:
Many children in Slovakia learn the rolled 'R' as one of the last sounds, with the age of 4-5.
It was very hard for me, because all the kids at the kindergarten could do it and only I couldn't. One day I just woke up and made it :)

That's brilliant, I never knew that. That's what we lack in English - a second "first word" moment.

The advice about not trying too hard is good. I've been trying for about a year; 3 months ago I managed to do my first quite bad trill, and just yesterday it clicked. I'm not aware that I was doing anything differently, just that I can now do it when before I couldn't.

ANK47
Triglot
United States
thearabicstudent.blo
Joined 6885 days ago

188 posts - 259 votes 
Speaks: English*, Arabic (Written), Arabic (classical)

Message 13 of 19
25 August 2010 at 4:31am | IP Logged 
To do a rolled r you really have to push a lot of air through to get it going. I think rolling r's is a lot like whistling though. You can ask people where to put your tongue and lips but it just takes a lot of practice on your own trying different things.

littlelee
Canada
Joined 5003 days ago

13 posts - 14 votes
Studies: Russian

Message 14 of 19
25 August 2010 at 5:18am | IP Logged 
^ I can only whistle if I'm sucking air in. When blowing air out, it doesn't happen for me. :(

Edited by littlelee on 25 August 2010 at 5:18am

michaelmichael
Canada
Joined 5045 days ago

167 posts - 202 votes 
Studies: French

Message 15 of 19
25 August 2010 at 6:39am | IP Logged 
PaulLambeth wrote:
Derian wrote:
eumiro wrote:

That's brilliant, I never knew that. That's what we lack in English - a second "first word" moment.

The advice about not trying too hard is good. I've been trying for about a year; 3 months ago I managed to do my first quite bad trill, and just yesterday it clicked. I'm not aware that I was doing anything differently, just that I can now do it when before I couldn't.

I know the English Th sound is late, though I don't know if it's as late as the dreaded R's.

galindo
Bilingual Triglot
United States
Joined 4995 days ago

142 posts - 248 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish*, Japanese
Studies: Korean, Portuguese

Message 16 of 19
02 September 2010 at 3:29am | IP Logged 
I don't remember having a problem rolling my R's as a child, but I did notice it was harder to do after I hadn't needed to speak Spanish for some time. One thing I've found funny in learning Japanese is how rolling all the R's is a way to sound gruff or crude or manly. To me it sounds pretty hard to do, because unlike in Spanish ALL the R's get rolled, and there's a lot of them. Luckily normal Japanese isn't spoken that way, especially not by girls my age.

This discussion contains 19 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version