Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Mainlymagyar : My own multiconfused log!

Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
35 messages over 5 pages: 13 4 5  Next >>
liddytime
Pentaglot
United States
mainlymagyar.wordpre
Joined 6017 days ago

693 posts - 1328 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Italian, Portuguese, Galician
Studies: Hungarian, Vietnamese, Modern Hebrew, Norwegian, Persian, Arabic (Written)

Message 9 of 35
15 August 2010 at 5:16pm | IP Logged 
David_hu wrote:
liddytime wrote:

megszentségteleníthetetlenségeskedéseitekért ( which thankfully doesn’t need to be used
that often )

Well, that might be a scary word, but you'll never have to use such long words.

WHEW!!! That's a relief!!!!!!    :-)
1 person has voted this message useful

liddytime
Pentaglot
United States
mainlymagyar.wordpre
Joined 6017 days ago

693 posts - 1328 votes 
Studies: Hungarian, Vietnamese, Modern Hebrew, Norwegian, Persian, Arabic (Written)

Message 10 of 35
23 August 2010 at 1:15am | IP Logged 

A ROUGH WEEK!

I’ll be the first to admit this week has not been the most productive for Hungarian studying. Things have been
quite busy at work and there were a few social engagements over the week so Hungarian definitely took a back
seat.

I managed to start Unit 5 of the FSI course but did nothing with the DLI course. I’m finally learning some
meaningful verbs such as :
     ENNI      - to eat
     MENNI      - to go
     VENNI      - to buy
     INNI      - to drink...   useful, along with the phrase;
                Parancsol egy kis meg barackpálinkát,
                Johnson úr? - Would you like some more apricot vodka,
                Mr. Johnson?...
     VINNI       - to bring
     JÖNNI      - to come

Hungarian also as 18 or so “cases”; particles that are added onto the ends of words to inflect their meaning. Unit
5 has given the first two: ba/be and ban/ben.
Ba/be roughly implies towards or into and ban/ben implies inside or within. For example, one would say

Autóbuszok járnak a városban: meaning there are buses traveling around in the city, but ;
     Autóbuszok járnak a városba : would imply that the buses are going into the city.

Just think, I only have 16 more of these to learn....

The highlight of my week was actually speaking Hungarian with a co-worker of mine. She grew up in Brooklyn,
but both of her parents are from Hungary and she grew up speaking fluent Hungarian. I felt like it went pretty
well. We only made small talk and chit chat but I could understand most of what she was saying to me and she
said I spoke pretty well.   Especially after only three weeks of studying! She wants to get her husband to try the
FSI course!

My biggest handicap at this point is vocabulary. I’ll keep using Anki at this point and keep trudging along.
Hopefully this week will be a better study week!

2 persons have voted this message useful

liddytime
Pentaglot
United States
mainlymagyar.wordpre
Joined 6017 days ago

693 posts - 1328 votes 

Message 11 of 35
24 August 2010 at 3:55pm | IP Logged 
I would love to find some good Hungarian music with liner notes!!!    

Does anybody out there know of any good Hungarian music sites?!

Magyar zene valaki? Modern zene, népzene, cigányzene, techno zene válamit?

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6944 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 12 of 35
24 August 2010 at 6:40pm | IP Logged 
Ha akarod gyakorolni a magyar tudásodat zenével, akkor kattints ide: www.magyarnota.com

Ez a lap nagy gyűjtemény letölthető nótákkal és népdalokkal és szövegekkel is.

liddytime
Pentaglot
United States
mainlymagyar.wordpre
Joined 6017 days ago

693 posts - 1328 votes 

Message 13 of 35
24 August 2010 at 10:53pm | IP Logged 
Chung wrote:
Ha akarod gyakorolni a magyar tudásodat zenével, akkor kattints ide: www.magyarnota.com

Ez a lap nagy gyűjtemény letölthető nótákkal és népdalokkal és szövegekkel is.

Kitűnő!

Pontosan ez az, mit kerestem!

Köszönöm szépen!

liddytime
Pentaglot
United States
mainlymagyar.wordpre
Joined 6017 days ago

693 posts - 1328 votes 

Message 14 of 35
30 August 2010 at 7:04pm | IP Logged 
Longer post later:

I just wanted to add that I have made my first Hungarian Anki deck available publicly.

It consists of all the vocabulary from the first 5 units of DLI and FSI.

Search on Anki downloads under Hungarian and it should be pretty obvious which is the FSI / DLI one.

I'll plan to add the others after each five units or so.

Edited by liddytime on 30 August 2010 at 7:07pm

liddytime
Pentaglot
United States
mainlymagyar.wordpre
Joined 6017 days ago

693 posts - 1328 votes 

Message 15 of 35
31 August 2010 at 5:48pm | IP Logged 
This week I have finally made it through FSI Unit 5 and moved on to FSI Unit 6. Unit 6 vocabulary seems to be
related to sightseeing around Budapest. A fun pair of words I have discovered are állat which means animal and
állatkert which means zoo. This literally means “animal-garden” which conjures up some interesting mental
images!

The days of the week are also taught which are:

vasarnap   (Sunday)
                          hétfő
                         kedd
                         szerda
                         csütörtök
                        péntek
                         szombat   (Saturday)

Again, totally unrelated to any other language I have studied!

I am very interested in the history of Hungary and how the Hungarians have remained so culturally and
linguistically isolated from their European neighbors.

Up until the 1800’s it was regarded as fact that Hungarians were descendants of the Huns and Turks.

In fact, Hungary was originally part of Pannonia, a well documented province of the Roman Empire. The Huns,
indeed were among the first invaders to break up the province but were shortly thereafter followed by the
Ostragoths, Lombards and Gepids.   Despite the fact that Attilla remains a common and honorable Hungarian
name, it doesn’t appear that the Huns stuck around in Hungary for very long.

The Avars, a nomadic tribe originating in Central Asia were the next group to arrive and in 560, founded the Avar
Khaganate. This large state lasted for over 250 years until eventually being broken up by Franks, Bulgars and
Slavs.

Finally, in 895 under the leadership of Árpád, a new group of people, known as the Magyars invaded the region
and settled in the area. Modern-day ethnic Hungarians still show a genetic linkage to this nomadic tribe.

There are numerous, but unproven theories of the origin of the Magyars. The most widely-accepted has them
originating in the central regions of the Ural Mountain range about 6000 years ago. By the 4th-6th centuries
C.E. they had migrated into the Volga river basin and by the 9th century had established strong alliances with the
Bulgars and other neighboring tribes. It is thought that many Turkic and Slavic words were assimilated into
Hungarian during this period.

The Carpathian Basin which later became the Kingdom of Hungary was a proverbial “melting pot” . There were
numbers of Slavs, Romanians and Germans living there. Hungarians made up the largest single group in the
area, but, oddly enough, there were always more non-Hungarians than Hungarians in Hungary.

Since the kingdom was a western-styled Christian (Roman Catholic) state, Hungarian adopted the Latin alphabet
and was, over the next few centuries, heavily influenced by Latin. During this period the verb tenses were
greatly simplified and the post-position cases were assimilated onto words.   During the Ottoman occupation of
Hungary between 1541 and 1699, even more Turkish words crept into Hungarian.

Origin of word roots in Hungarian:

Uncertain   ~  30%
Finno-Ugric ~ 21%
Slavic    ~ 20%
German    ~ 11%
Turkic   ~ 9.5%
Latin and Greek ~ 6%
Romance ~  2.5%
Other ~ 1%
From A nyelv és a nyelvek ("Language and languages"), edited by István Kenesei. Akadémiai Kiadó, Budapest,
2004, ISBN 963-05-7959-6, p. 134)

Over the latter centuries of the last millennium , the language which was felt to endanger Hungarian the most
was German. The surrounding regions were mostly German-speaking, as was printing, entertainment and, of
course, the Hapsburg administration.   All educated Hungarians were expected to speak German.

After the First World War and the Treaty of Trianon, new borders were drawn and present-day Hungary was
formed. Sadly, the kingdom of Hungary lost 72% of its land and 64% of its population. I believe my ancestors
left Hungary during this period.   The silver lining of the breakup was that now in Hungary, for the first time in
centuries, Hungarian was the majority language .   However, nearly 10 million ethnic Hungarians now found
themselves living outside of Hungary in foreign lands, speaking a foreign language.     Even today about 20% of
Hungarian speakers live outside of Hungary!   

One can understand from this how the Hungarian language has evolved to be such an important, even hallowed,
symbol of Hungarian cultural and national identity.   I am very proud to be a descendant of these people and am
excited to learn more of this enduring language of my ancestors!

Edited by liddytime on 01 September 2010 at 12:58am

3 persons have voted this message useful

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6944 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 16 of 35
31 August 2010 at 7:34pm | IP Logged 
liddytime wrote:
This week I have finally made it through FSI Unit 5 and moved on to FSI Unit 6. Unit 6 vocabulary seems to be
related to sightseeing around Budapest. A fun pair of words I have discovered are állat which means animal and
állatkert which means zoo. This literally means “animal-garden” which conjures up some interesting mental
images!

The days of the week are also taught which are:

vasárnap (Sunday)
                   hétfő
                   kedd
                   szerda
                   csütörtök
                   péntek
                   szombat (Saturday)

Again, totally unrelated to any other language I have studied!

Actually six of these words are related in varying degrees to words in languages that you know or have studied.

- vasárnap comes from a compound of "vásár" (market) and "nap" (day). "Vásár" is very likely a borrowing from an Indo-Iranian language (cf. Middle Persian (Pahlavi): vacar and Farsi بازار (bâzâr)). "Bazaar" and "vásár" thus share a common origin while being loanwords.

- hétfő is a compound of "hét" week and "fő" "head" (i.e. Monday is the "head of the week"). "Hét" as you have learned also means "seven" and this word was borrowed into Proto-Finno-Ugric from some Indo-European language (probably an Indo-Iranian one). "Hét" is thus related to words such as "seven", "hepta", "shtat(ë)" etc.

- szerda is a borrowing from a Slavonic language (cf. Serbo-Croatian sr(ij)eda). The word's origin lies in the Indo-European word for "middle" or "heart" with the Slavonic source holding a figurative sense referring to the middle of the week. Cognates of the word include: "heart", "coeur", "corazón" etc.

- csütörtök is a borrowing from a Slavonic language (cf. Czech čtvrtek). In turn, the word's origin lies in the Indo-European word for "four" with the Slavonic source being a derivative of the number (i.e. to represent the fourth day of the week) Cf. Albanian: katër; Czech: čtyři; Farsi: ćáhār; Latin: quattuor.

- péntek is also a borrowing from a Slavonic language (cf. Czech: pátek). This word's origin lies in the Indo-European word for "five" with the Slavonic source being a derivative of the number (i.e. to represent the fifth day of the week) Cf. Albanian: pesë; Czech: pět; Farsi: panj; Latin: quinque.

- szombat is another borrowing from Slavonic (cf. Polish: sobota). This word in turn entered Ancient Greek from Ancient Hebrew (cf. modern Hebrew shabbath) and then got passed on further to other Indo-European languages and then to Hungarian. Szombat is related to other loanwords such as sabbath, Samstag, samedi, sábado etc.

6 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 35 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 13 4 5  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version