Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5582 days ago

781 posts - 1310 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Portuguese, Mandarin, Yiddish, German

Message 1 of 14
11 August 2010 at 4:42pm | IP Logged 
The old Spanish DLI course is in the public domain, it is REALLY good. But it is out of date, sometimes uses language which would not be correct in Spain, and lacks audio.
I noticed you guys are making home made Assimil courses, and (I know this is a long shot!) wondered if any native Spanish speakers might be interested in revising this DLI course. It would need:

1) AT LEAST a Spaniard, a Mexican (or other C.American), and a S. American (but the more countries the better, obviously!) to work together to adapt the dialogues and excercises to a form of Spanish acceptable to all (and up to date of course), while staying as close to the original as possible.
Where this is not possible (e.g. vosotros v Vds in informal speech) they would choose the L.Am one (it was a L.Am. Spanish course) but explain the peninsular form in a footnote.
2) Between them they would come up with suitable "model" answers to the excercises (the excercises were open, but model answers were (I THINK) provided on the tapes. Again these answers would be carefully selected to be acceptable to all nationalities.
3) Between them (split between the collaborators this part would not take long at all!) make audio with the dialogues, excercises, and answers in them.
4) Put them and the new texts on the site that you guys are using for your homemade Assimil courses

Like I say, i'm not going to hold my breath, but I thought it was worth asking, as if you WERE to do it then between you you really would create one of the best courses out there BY FAR. Better than Pimsleur, but FREE! If it turns out there *is* any interest in this then a senior member (such as Sprachprofi of the homemade Assimil thread) could surely be found to liase between the different native speakers

Edited by Random review on 11 August 2010 at 5:24pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Random review
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5582 days ago

781 posts - 1310 votes 

Message 2 of 14
11 August 2010 at 5:20pm | IP Logged 
Here's a quick excerpt from one of the lessons (which I have copied by hand warts-and-all) to let you see, note the car accident they are talking about occured in the previous lesson...there is a continuous story here! This lesson is not even 1/3 of the way through the course and already you are expected to be comfortable with the present, the preterite, the imperfect, and a fairly respectable vocabulary, it really is VERY comprehensive:

DIALOGUE: Después del accidente

VEGA:     Lo siento mucho, señores. ¿Se dieron algún golpe?
ANDERSON: iYo no, gracias a Dios!
PEREZ:    Yo tampoco. Pero ese tipo venía como bala. Yo creo que ni siquiera nos vio
ANDERSON: Vd hizo todo lo posible por evitar el choque.
VEGA:     Bueno, tuvimos suerte, porque ese bárbaro salió por la bocacalle a una
                   velocidad fantástica.
VEGA:     Afortunadamente, no todo el mundo maneja igual
ANDERSON: Así es. Pero en todas partes hay personas que no respetan las leyes
                   del tránsito

************************************************************ *******************
AT THIS POINT THERE FOLLOWS A TRANSLATION OF THE DIALOGUE, WHICH I WILL LEAVE OUT
************************************************************ *******************

DIALOGUE INTORROGATION:

FRAME 1

A. 1. ¿Se dieron Vega y Pérez algún golpe en el accidente?
   2. ¿Dice el policía "lo siento"?
   3. ¿Se dio algún golpe el mayor Anderson?
   4. Se dio algún golpe el capitán Pérez?
   5. ¿Dice Anderson "iYo tampoco, gracias a Dios!"?
   6. ¿Es el "tipo" el chofer de un taxi?
   7. ¿Venía Vega como bala por la Avenida Principal?
   8. ¿Cree Pérez que ni siquiera los vio el tipo que venía como bala?
*** ************************************************************ *******************

ETC ETC ETC: THESE CONTINUE FOR A LONG TIME UNTIL YOU HAVE MANIPULATED EVERY SINGLE STRUCTURE AND VOCABULARY ITEM IN THE DIALOGUE MANY TIMES, AND PRETTY MUCH KNOW THE DIALOGUE BY HEART, YOU WOULD PROVIDE MODEL ANSWERS FOR THESE. AFTERWARDS THERE FOLLOW GRAMMAR EXPLANATIONS AND BRIEF EXCERCISES ON THEM.

Edited by Random review on 11 August 2010 at 5:32pm

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5810 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 3 of 14
11 August 2010 at 6:39pm | IP Logged 
Random review wrote:
1) AT LEAST a Spaniard, a Mexican (or other C.American), and a S. American (but the more countries the better, obviously!) to work together to adapt the dialogues and excercises to a form of Spanish acceptable to all (and up to date of course), while staying as close to the original as possible.
Where this is not possible (e.g. vosotros v Vds in informal speech) they would choose the L.Am one (it was a L.Am. Spanish course) but explain the peninsular form in a footnote.

Why choose? The cost of bits and bytes is so long that you could quite easily have multiple versions where there is no form acceptable in countries.
2 persons have voted this message useful

johntm93
United States
Joined 5126 days ago

587 posts - 746 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Spanish

Message 4 of 14
11 August 2010 at 6:41pm | IP Logged 
Obviously I'm not a Spanish speaker, but as a learner I love this idea.

A todos los hablantes de español, por favor, nosotros necesitemos su ayuda.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Random review
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5582 days ago

781 posts - 1310 votes 

Message 5 of 14
11 August 2010 at 9:20pm | IP Logged 
"Why choose? The cost of bits and bytes is so long that you could quite easily have multiple versions where there is no form acceptable in countries."

You would need to have a neutral Spanish version anyway because a lot of people WANT to learn that Spanish. Of course many people want to learn Mexican Spanish, or Peninsular Spanish etc, and you could, as you say, EASILY have multiple versions if the native speakers were interested, but for now let's try and keep the workload as small as possible to try and attract people willing to do it. If you are a native speaker and want to help learners then trust me, this would be a beautiful gift!

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5810 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 6 of 14
11 August 2010 at 9:27pm | IP Logged 
I don't believe that you can produce something that is acceptable to all.

Even if you can, the amount of time it will take arguing it out means it'll be more work than just accepting that every now and then you'll need to include slight differences.

Particularly because people who decisions go against tend to leave voluntary projects.

Trust me, it's easier that way, and you should really only end up with three or four versions at most. (Spain, Argentina, other Latin America) or (Spain, Argentina, Central&Carribean, other)

Edit: In fact, given the big differences between Rioplatense and other varieties and the paucity of Argentinian materials for learners, I think an Argentinian Spanish version would be the most useful thing that could be created.

Edited by Cainntear on 11 August 2010 at 9:29pm

Andy E
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6902 days ago

1651 posts - 1939 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French

Message 7 of 14
11 August 2010 at 9:35pm | IP Logged 
Random review wrote:
Here's a quick excerpt from one of the lessons (which I have copied by hand warts-and-all)

I'm presuming by "copied by hand" you actually meant ctrl+c, ctrl+v....

Edit:

e.g:

TRATÉMONOS DE TU!

VEGA:      ¿Es ésta tu primera operación en un país de habla hispana?

ANDERSON: No. Hace dos años fui coordinador de una operación
              parecida con la Sexta Flota, en España.

ANDERSON: A propósito, mayor, ¿trajo Ud. los planes navales de
              la Operación Unidad?

VEGA:     Trajiste, hombre, trajiste. Ya que vamos a trabajar
              juntos, debemos tratarnos de tú.

ANDERSON: Muy bien. En realidad, yo no sabía si debía hacerlo o no.
VEGA:     Claro que sí. Especialmente entre amigos del mismo grado.

Edited by Andy E on 11 August 2010 at 9:42pm

Random review
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5582 days ago

781 posts - 1310 votes 

Message 8 of 14
11 August 2010 at 10:21pm | IP Logged 
Er, no. I didn't cut and paste. That's why I said "copied by hand."! I'm not in the habit of lying, and if I were why would I lie about that? What would I gain?

This discussion contains 14 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version