United States
Joined 5115 days ago

587 posts - 746 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Spanish

Message 9 of 59
12 August 2010 at 9:21pm | IP Logged 
Fluency may come from a Latin word meaning "flowing," but it's used to mean one who is "proficient" (can speak flowing, no hesitation) in a language.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Derian
Triglot
PolandRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5096 days ago

227 posts - 464 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English, German
Studies: Spanish, Russian, Czech, French, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 10 of 59
12 August 2010 at 9:58pm | IP Logged 
johntm93 wrote:
Fluency may come from a Latin word meaning "flowing," but it's used to mean one who is "proficient" (can speak flowing, no hesitation) in a language.

I think the more direct cognate word is the word "fluid".
Interestingly, the Polish word for "fluent/fluently" is "płynny/płynnie", which derives from the noun "płyn" [=fluid].

Edited by Derian on 12 August 2010 at 10:00pm

1 person has voted this message useful

frenkeld
Diglot
United States
Joined 6731 days ago

2042 posts - 2719 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: German

Message 11 of 59
12 August 2010 at 10:18pm | IP Logged 
Derian wrote:
Interestingly, the Polish word for "fluent/fluently" is "płynny/płynnie", which derives from the noun "płyn" [=fluid].

In Russian, there is an expression "бегло говорить", but this comes from the verb "to run", not from anything to do with liquids.

The real question is, what do we do in English? :) "Proficiency" is a good word for the classification scheme, but it is a bit too formal for the discussions.

Edited by frenkeld on 12 August 2010 at 10:19pm

lingoleng
Germany
Joined 5086 days ago

605 posts - 1290 votes 

Message 12 of 59
12 August 2010 at 10:23pm | IP Logged 
I guess the problem is that morphology and etymology of the word "fluent" are not fully transparent for an average speaker of English. It is derived from Latin "fluere", of course, if via French or not I don't know (without dictionary), and its meaning is not easy to learn, as we see in all the discussions. It is used in contexts where one can easily think it means proficient, and many people learn this as the (wrong) meaning. In German we say "Er spricht f l i e ß e n d (= flowing = fluent) Englisch", and everybody can understand this without using a dictionary, because it is a word of Germanic origin. The word fluent is certainly not equally understandable for a speaker of the English language, and this leads to the confusion.
Edit: I should add that the word "proficient" is certainly just as hard to understand, for similar reasons.

Edited by lingoleng on 12 August 2010 at 10:51pm

Bao
Diglot
Germany
tinyurl.com/pe4kqe5
Joined 5554 days ago

2256 posts - 4046 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Spanish, Japanese, Mandarin

Message 13 of 59
12 August 2010 at 10:25pm | IP Logged 
Point taken.
Yet, I will probably not stop copying the native speakers.

Derian
Triglot
PolandRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5096 days ago

227 posts - 464 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English, German
Studies: Spanish, Russian, Czech, French, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 14 of 59
12 August 2010 at 10:33pm | IP Logged 
frenkeld wrote:
In Russian, there is an expression "бегло говорить", but this comes from the verb "to run", not from anything to do with liquids.
Well, "mówić biegle" is the most common expression for "speaking fluently" in Polish.

frenkeld wrote:
The real question is, what do we do in English? :) "Proficiency" is a good word for the classification scheme, but it is a bit too formal for the discussions.
I think the key lies somewhere else.

If we can grade one's proficiency from 1-10, then probably around 7 or 8 fluency would begin. Because fluency signifies a certain (high) degree of proficiency.
Therefore, the word 'fluency' is used when one wants to emphesize this high level of proficiency. Whereas "being proficient" in itself doesn't imply that.

frenkeld
Diglot
United States
Joined 6731 days ago

2042 posts - 2719 votes 

Message 15 of 59
12 August 2010 at 11:24pm | IP Logged 
lingoleng wrote:
I guess the problem is that morphology and etymology of the word "fluent" are not fully transparent for an average speaker of English. ... The word fluent is certainly not equally understandable for a speaker of the English language, and this leads to the confusion.
Edit: I should add that the word "proficient" is certainly just as hard to understand, for similar reasons.

The word "fluent" is pretty clear to an English speaker because everyone knows what "fluid" means. Etymology of a word is less important than how it is actually used. The common meaning of language fluency in English is high speaking proficiency or high proficiency in general. All we have here is a disconnect between the popular and the academic use of the word.

The word proficiency also has a clear meaning to any educated speaker of English.

Edited by frenkeld on 12 August 2010 at 11:25pm

frenkeld
Diglot
United States
Joined 6731 days ago

2042 posts - 2719 votes 

Message 16 of 59
12 August 2010 at 11:28pm | IP Logged 
Derian wrote:
Therefore, the word 'fluency' is used when one wants to emphesize this high level of proficiency. Whereas "being proficient" in itself doesn't imply that.

Oh, sure, "proficiency" has to be qualified - it can be high or it can be low. The adjective "proficient" does not need to be qualified, "proficient" implies a high level of skill. Fluency implies high proficiency. I was actually going blue in the face for a while about the term "basic fluency" because I see it as an oxymoron - fluency is high proficiency in speaking, and high proficiency cannot be basic. No one listened. I can only wish s_allard greater luck in his quest to alter the habits in this forum.

Edited by frenkeld on 12 August 2010 at 11:43pm

This discussion contains 59 messages over 8 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6 7 8  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version