51 messages over 7 pages: 13 4 5 6 7  Next >>
maaku
United States
Joined 5362 days ago

359 posts - 562 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 9 of 51
30 May 2010 at 7:56am | IP Logged 
The color trick is very useful. I've wanted for some time an Anki plugin that would do it automatically.

To the OP, I would say your sexist example is perfect. In my experience, the more colorful and un-politically correct, the more likely you are to remember*. I've done that as well when I have particular trouble (although most of the time I don't need a mnemonic).

*Nothing new to anyone who's studied Kanji vis Heisig.
1 person has voted this message useful

Declan1991
Tetraglot
Ireland
Joined 6227 days ago

233 posts - 359 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Irish, French

Message 10 of 51
30 May 2010 at 10:48am | IP Logged 
I always thought learning, die Tuer, das Essen, Der Vertreter was useful, and by analogy I often find myself getting others right.

Edited by Declan1991 on 30 May 2010 at 12:57pm

LanguageSponge
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5554 days ago

1197 posts - 1487 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, French
Studies: Welsh, Russian, Japanese, Slovenian, Greek, Italian

Message 11 of 51
30 May 2010 at 11:23am | IP Logged 
I find that learning what rules there are first helps, and then after that, you sort of get a feel for noun gender - if you can't tell exactly which gender a noun is, you can at least eliminate one gender for sure. Declan1991, Wasser is neuter in German - das Wasser.

Jack

Declan1991
Tetraglot
Ireland
Joined 6227 days ago

233 posts - 359 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Irish, French

Message 12 of 51
30 May 2010 at 12:57pm | IP Logged 
LanguageSponge wrote:
Declan1991, Wasser is neuter in German - das Wasser.
Of course, typos are very obvious in foreign languages! Thanks for pointing that out.

John Smith
Bilingual Triglot
Australia
Joined 5830 days ago

396 posts - 542 votes 
Speaks: English*, Czech*, Spanish
Studies: German

Message 13 of 51
30 May 2010 at 4:49pm | IP Logged 
When learning German I treated the noun and its article as if they were one word. So for example when I wanted to learn the word for child I learnt it as Daskind.

Most people I know don't do this. They learn the noun. In this case Kind. Then they try to memorize its gender. Kind is neuter. Kind is neuter...

Example

Daskind = child
Diestadt = city

Same with Spanish

Elchico = the boy

Edited by John Smith on 30 May 2010 at 4:53pm

9 persons have voted this message useful

datsunking1
Diglot
United States
Joined 5373 days ago

1014 posts - 1533 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: German, Russian, Dutch, French

Message 14 of 51
30 May 2010 at 5:29pm | IP Logged 
John Smith wrote:
When learning German I treated the noun and its article as if they were one word. So for example when I wanted to learn the word for child I learnt it as Daskind.

Most people I know don't do this. They learn the noun. In this case Kind. Then they try to memorize its gender. Kind is neuter. Kind is neuter...

Example

Daskind = child
Diestadt = city

Same with Spanish

Elchico = the boy

I like that idea! I've never thought about it that way. :)

dolly
United States
Joined 5578 days ago

191 posts - 376 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Latin

Message 15 of 51
09 July 2010 at 5:29pm | IP Logged 
For learners of French:

The Rules of Gender for French Nouns: Why your arm is masculine, but your leg is feminine, and other mysteries of the French language, Revised Fourth Edition by Saul H. Rosenthal ISBN-10: 1604943068 ISBN-13: 978-1604943061

Les règles du genre des noms au masculin et au féminin : Pourquoi le bras est au masculin tandis que la jambe est au féminin, et autres mystères de la langue française de Saul H Rosenthal ISBN-10: 1587363305 ISBN-13: 978-1587363306. I think the English version is more up to date.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Levi
Pentaglot
United States
Joined 5355 days ago

2268 posts - 3328 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Esperanto, German, Spanish
Studies: Russian, Dutch, Portuguese, Mandarin, Japanese, Italian

Message 16 of 51
09 July 2010 at 6:35pm | IP Logged 
miKonnen wrote:
If you hate the genders of nouns as much as I do, then you'd definitely want to give my 'method' a stab.

Try thinking of the gender with logic: for example, why is the "die Grippe" (the flu, in German) feminine? Try thinking of it with [biased] logic... Maybe it's because people like to blame bad things (like the flu) on women! (Please, no offence meant) Another example is "la musique" (the music, in french). Although this one isn't all that hard, you can try thinking the arts and music as a very expressive, soft, and soothing thing, and relate it to women - expressivem, soft, and soothing.

The good thing about this and other memory hooks is that they don't last long and you're left with the word and its gender. Hopefully, I havn't offended anyone...

Have fun studying the beautiful languages =)

Not sure how helpful this technique would be to someone studying more than one language, trying to remember for example German "die Sonne"/"der Mond" vs. French "le soleil"/"la lune".

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 51 messages over 7 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6 7  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version