Joined 6516 days ago

24 posts - 24 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Persian

Message 9 of 24
05 October 2006 at 7:52am | IP Logged 
Andy E wrote:
anavidi wrote:
For those of you who use this technique with assimil, do you repeat a sentence or do you repeat the entire numbered section? Which can be quite lengthy and contain more than one sentence.

You repeat what you can comfortably do. If you find that a single numbered section is too long, break it down into smaller segments and then gradually build it back up again into the larger whole.

Andy.

This process is what seems to be taking me a lot of time. Maybe my auditory memory is weak or something, but it takes a lot of breaking the sentence down and lots of repititions before I can repeat the WHOLE numbered section. As the lessons have been getting longer it is taking me longer and longer to finish them.

I am losing the 'ease' from the Spanish with ease.
1 person has voted this message useful

InsanePenguin
Wales
Joined 6681 days ago

248 posts - 248 votes 
Studies: Spanish

Message 10 of 24
05 October 2006 at 7:55am | IP Logged 
Are you trying to repeat each sentence or the entire text? if it's the latter no wonder it's taking you a long time, you are just meant to repeat a sentence at a time, even this can take some doing as you move further in.

Andy E
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6913 days ago

1651 posts - 1939 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French

Message 11 of 24
05 October 2006 at 8:51am | IP Logged 
anavidi wrote:
This process is what seems to be taking me a lot of time. Maybe my auditory memory is weak or something, but it takes a lot of breaking the sentence down and lots of repititions before I can repeat the WHOLE numbered section. As the lessons have been getting longer it is taking me longer and longer to finish them.

I am losing the 'ease' from the Spanish with ease.

Well, if there's one thing you don't want to lose it's the "ease"... :-)

I suggest, therefore, that you concentrate on whole sentences rather than whole numbered sections. Most people here appear to have adapted Assimil somewhat to their own learning style and requirements.

Andy.

anavidi
United States
Joined 6516 days ago

24 posts - 24 votes
Studies: Spanish, Persian

Message 12 of 24
05 October 2006 at 10:41am | IP Logged 
Yea, I was trying to repeat the entire text of the numbered section. Repeating just a sentence will be much more digestable.

Thanks for your help.

pentatonic
United States
Joined 7057 days ago

221 posts - 245 votes 

Message 13 of 24
05 October 2006 at 12:06pm | IP Logged 
anavidi wrote:
Yea, I was trying to repeat the entire text of the numbered section. Repeating just a sentence will be much more digestable.

Thanks for your help.

Probably doesn't matter if you do a sentence or the section, so I wouldn't worry about it. Do what you can handle.

EDIT: Removed some nonsense.

Edited by pentatonic on 06 October 2006 at 5:45am

Andy E
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6913 days ago

1651 posts - 1939 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French

Message 14 of 24
06 October 2006 at 2:13am | IP Logged 
I don't think this is an Active Wave issue. This is something I do on the Passive Wave...

Listen to the Audio
<Hit Pause button>
Repeat the phrase looking at the book
Repeat the phrase without looking at the book
<Repeat as necessary>

- I find the last helps "fix" the words in my memory.

For "phrase" you can substitute "sentence" "numbered section", "clause" etc...

Andy.

SimonSanook
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5077 days ago

4 posts - 5 votes

Message 15 of 24
30 August 2010 at 10:37pm | IP Logged 
i have to confess ..im finding assimil so dam boring ..
im on lesson 66 now and whilst i can look back through the book and realise that i have increased my passive understanding, i can barely create a sentance thanks to assimil.
Any Spanish sentances i am able to formulate are thanks to pimsluer or Michel Thomas.

Perhaps its just me but listening to 20-30 minutes of assimil is mindnumbingly boring and i can only just about manage that.

I dont think my vocab is increasing at all and im pretty close to packing it in but im hesitent to do this because the last 2 months will havebeen waste.
2 persons have voted this message useful

TerryW
United States
Joined 6167 days ago

370 posts - 783 votes 

Message 16 of 24
31 August 2010 at 10:40am | IP Logged 
SimonSanook wrote:
I dont think my vocab is increasing at all and im pretty close to packing it in

I'm confused. If you're not increasing your vocab after 66 Assimil lessons, then you must have taken more than just Pimsleur and Michel Thomas, both of which use pretty limited vocabularies?

SimonSanook wrote:
..im finding assimil so dam boring ..im on lesson 66 now.

So, I guess the cartoons don't help? ;-)
If you're bored by Assimil, please stay far away from FSI!

What material would you not find boring?   Maybe it's time to get a copy of Harry Potter y La Piedra Filosofal and its audio book?

If you mean you aren't able to *use* the new vocabulary and/or grammatical structures in actively speaking, than that should settle out as you progress in the active phase. If not, maybe you should repeat Pimsleur & M.T. as a refresher.

Or maybe you just need a break from forcing yourself to plod through an increasingly difficult lesson per day. Maybe you should try stopping the passive part, and just do the active phase until you get to Lesson 66 actively. Then start 67 as both passive & active.

Maybe the one lesson a day is pushing you too hard. Don't be afraid to give a lesson 2 or 3 days, it's better than bagging the whole thing.

Edited by TerryW on 31 August 2010 at 10:49am

This discussion contains 24 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version