Elexi
United Kingdom
Joined 5375 days ago

938 posts - 1839 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French, German, Latin

Message 17 of 24
31 August 2010 at 12:38pm | IP Logged 
I had this experience when I moved from MT German to Assimil - as that course (and Pimsleur) involve active production from day one, you feel that Assimil isn't teaching you anyhing.

A quick test to see if you are passively pickup up vocabulary and grammar from Assimil is to do the much maligned fill in the gap exercises - go back to lesson 1 and do 7 lessons worth of fill in the gaps. Do you find that you can do them without cheating? If so your vocabulary has improved passively and it is just your perception of moving from a active to a initially passive method.
1 person has voted this message useful

AntonioJBrown
New Zealand
Joined 5354 days ago

10 posts - 16 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Spanish

Message 18 of 24
22 November 2010 at 9:48am | IP Logged 
I too found I lost the "with ease" rather quickly with the Assimil "Spanish with Ease"
course. I think I will revisit it but I need to do something else first that is
structured and systematic but not too difficult. I'm a real dunce when it comes to
languages. So now I'm looking through these forums. I tried Michel Thomas but found him
irritating. Pimsleur is not bad as a supplement for beginners but inadequate for anything
else.

2 persons have voted this message useful

plaidchuck
Diglot
Groupie
United States
facebook.com/plaidchRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5115 days ago

71 posts - 93 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish

Message 19 of 24
24 November 2010 at 5:23pm | IP Logged 
Sorry to go a off topic, but how far does the Spanish with Ease go in the later lessons? Do they use the full extent of the grammar and vocab at a native level? Does it have anything to offer someone who is comfortable with Using Spanish? As I enjoy the Assimil method I was thinking of at least picking up the Spanish With Ease book to learn some additional vocab(or maybe a few new jokes :)

Edited by plaidchuck on 24 November 2010 at 5:25pm

flydream777
Triglot
United States
Joined 6301 days ago

77 posts - 102 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French
Studies: German, Russian, Portuguese, Mandarin, Greek, Hungarian, Armenian, Irish, Italian

Message 20 of 24
24 November 2010 at 7:25pm | IP Logged 
I haven't used Using Spanish, but Spanish with Ease is pretty in-depth. The rate of speech is always going to be a little slower because it's an instruction course, but it teaches the past subjunctive, which is more than you get in four years of high school in this country--

James29
Diglot
United States
Joined 5185 days ago

1265 posts - 2113 votes 
Studies: French

Message 21 of 24
25 November 2010 at 12:58am | IP Logged 
Plaidchuck - I own both Assimils but have not yet done Using Spanish. I really like with ease and would recommend it for what you are looking for. It is, of course, easier than Using Spanish, but I think it would still be worth your while. It is cheap and is quite in depth. The middle lessons (60-80) are quite detailed and lengthy (and seem roughly equivalent to the difficulty level I see in Using Spanish). The last 20-30 are shorter, but fun and use more comlex grammar.

Edited by James29 on 25 November 2010 at 12:59am

3 persons have voted this message useful

Andy E
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6913 days ago

1651 posts - 1939 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French

Message 22 of 24
25 November 2010 at 9:35am | IP Logged 
Quote:
Does it have anything to offer someone who is comfortable with Using Spanish?

It's a few years since I've been through the pair of them but there is some overlap in complexity. You will probably find the first part of the book a bit simplistic but you could approach this in one of two ways. Start at the end and work backwards until it gets too easy or, alternatively, begin with an Active Wave at Lesson 1 to find a suitable starting point for a more conventional Pasive/Active combintion.
3 persons have voted this message useful

plaidchuck
Diglot
Groupie
United States
facebook.com/plaidchRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5115 days ago

71 posts - 93 votes 

Message 23 of 24
29 November 2010 at 4:00am | IP Logged 
Thanks for the prompt and helpful replies everyone about Spanish With Ease.. sounds like I'll try to have someone pick it up for me for the holidays.. to be honest even though I am at a pretty solid basic fluency I like to use the Assimil lessons to give me ideas and little tests for my writing abilities..

James29
Diglot
United States
Joined 5185 days ago

1265 posts - 2113 votes 
Studies: French

Message 24 of 24
30 November 2010 at 3:01am | IP Logged 
There are multiple prices on Amazon. Purchase the $33 one with audio if you buy it there. It is great. I think it is identical to the much more expensive one.

This discussion contains 24 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 1 2

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version