arturs
Triglot
Latvia
Joined 5083 days ago

278 posts - 408 votes 
Speaks: Latvian*, Russian, English

Message 9 of 53
27 August 2010 at 2:48pm | IP Logged 
These are practically local (Latvian) jokes, but don't worry - I'll explain the meaning of them:

1) -Why shouldn't you ask a latvian in Finnish to bring you something tasty?
   -Because the Finnish word for tasty 'maukas' in Latvian means 'hookers'.

2) Why should Bill Gates release "Windows Rooster"? Because there's has to be something after "Windows Vista"! (in Latvian - vista = chicken)

3) Why Estonians are surprised when visit Riga? Because we have a restaurant called "Perse" which in Estonian means "ass".

I hope I got the point of this topic! :D
3 persons have voted this message useful

El Forastero
Pentaglot
Colombia
alijunakai.blogspot.Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6081 days ago

186 posts - 228 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, Portuguese, FrenchB1, EnglishC1, Italian
Studies: German

Message 10 of 53
27 August 2010 at 3:20pm | IP Logged 

11 persons have voted this message useful

translator2
United States
Joined 6731 days ago

848 posts - 1862 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 11 of 53
27 August 2010 at 3:45pm | IP Logged 
"Is this the right room for English lessons for Spanish speakers?"

"If, if, between" (si, si, entre)

Double Negatives Defined
A linguistics professor was lecturing to his class one day. "In English," he said, "A double negative forms a positive. In some languages, though, such as Russian, a double negative is still a negative. However, there is no language wherein a double positive can form a negative." A voice from the back of the room piped up, "Yeah, right."

An Enterprising Translator
A Mexican bandit made a specialty of crossing the Rio Grande from time to time and robbing banks in Texas. Finally, a reward was offered for his capture and an enterprising Texas Ranger decided to track him down. After a lengthy search, he traced the bandit to his favorite cantina, snuck up behind him, put his trusty six-shooter to the bandit's head, and said, "You're under arrest. Tell me where you hid the loot or I'll blow your brains out." But the bandit didn't speak English, and the Ranger didn't speak Spanish. Fortunately, a translator was in the saloon and translated the Ranger\'s message. The terrified bandit blurted out, in Spanish, that the loot was buried under the oak tree in back of the cantina. "What did he say?" asked the Ranger. The translator answered, "He said 'Get lost, Gringo. You wouldn't dare shoot me.'"

Grammatical Sex
A businessman arriving in Boston for a convention found that his first evening was free, and he decided to go find a good seafood restaurant that served Scrod, a Massachussetts specialty. Getting into a taxi, he asked the cab driver, "Do you know where I can get Scrod around here?" "Sure," said the cabdriver. "I know a few places... but I can tell you it's not often I hear someone use the third-person pluperfect indicative anymore!"

5 persons have voted this message useful

translator2
United States
Joined 6731 days ago

848 posts - 1862 votes 

Message 12 of 53
27 August 2010 at 3:48pm | IP Logged 

translator2
United States
Joined 6731 days ago

848 posts - 1862 votes 

Message 13 of 53
27 August 2010 at 10:20pm | IP Logged 

6 persons have voted this message useful

El Forastero
Pentaglot
Colombia
Joined 6081 days ago

186 posts - 228 votes 

Message 14 of 53
28 August 2010 at 12:11am | IP Logged 
Some children are at school attending their English class and share their homework about colours: Green, yellow, blue, pink.

juan: The grass is green, the sun is yellow, the sky is blue and the pink panther is pink.
Teacher: Very good, juan. ¿Pedro?
Pedro: My eyes are green, bananas are yellow, the ocean is blue, and my book is pink
Teacher: Very Good, PEdro. ¿Pablo?

And Pablo, imitating someone that take a phone call, say

Pablo: Greeeeeen, greeeeeeeen. Yellow? Blue blue blue blue blue blue.   Pink!
6 persons have voted this message useful

Michael K.
United States
Joined 5541 days ago

568 posts - 886 votes 
Studies: Spanish, Esperanto

Message 15 of 53
29 August 2010 at 12:27am | IP Logged 
My uncle was stationed in Japan in the '60s, and a Jewish sergeant had a coffee mug with 55 on it.

55 in Japanese is go-ju-go.

El Forastero
Pentaglot
Colombia
Joined 6081 days ago

186 posts - 228 votes 

Message 16 of 53
31 August 2010 at 12:15am | IP Logged 
for those who are learning Spanish:

Free and personal English version: (Be indulgent, please)

[The inconvenient of inventing some things in your CV is that, somtimes, you must to corroborate them.]

- do you really speak 12 languages?
- (In English) Yes
- do you know hot to say something else instead "yes"?
- Babe, the book is on the table, open the door, close the window

[Luckyly, Human Resources people usually have studien psichology and often don't have any idea about nothing]

- And also parlo catalá. Collons i tant que si. Escolta: Setze judges d'un jut jat mengen fedge d'un penjat. Pa ambtomaquet. It's damned harder to it seems.
- E le french: Oui oui, mademoiselle, menáge a trois, camembert tour de france, crepes au chocolat. Tres jolie.   Voulez vous danser, mon cheri?, ehem. It´s very important to have a sexy accent.
- And also parlo Italiano: Dolce vita, cuatrosstacione, ravioli, tortellini, porca miseria. MACARRONI!! Stronzo, Stronzo. Look at the gesticulation, it's half language, Bella Donna
- And I suppose that German...
- Verboten, Verboten, Achtung babe, verboten. Heil Babe. . And Dutch ist the same, but with more gruffness.
- I don't know if say you "Get the hell out of here" or waiting to see how do you say yours bufooneries in Basque.
- Well, i couldn't practice since long time

Edited by El Forastero on 01 September 2010 at 3:21pm

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 53 messages over 7 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6 7  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version