Colombia
alijunakai.blogspot.Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6080 days ago

186 posts - 228 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, Portuguese, FrenchB1, EnglishC1, Italian
Studies: German

Message 1 of 30
26 August 2010 at 1:05am | IP Logged 
Three years ago, I did the toefl and got a score of 87. Since then, I couldn't study with the same dedication, I reduce drastically the time for reading in English or listening. I forgot my English speakers chat partners an then they forgot me, and I almost abandon this forum.

Nowadays, I need to renew the certificate, last year I have applied to a Erasmus master title and I lost it because of my 87 toefl score. I rested in waiting list, so i think that if I improve my score, perhaps I won the admision and scholarship.

That's for it I'm beginning today a three months plan. I consider that's ambicious, because I have a full-time job and a marvelous girlfriend whom I very enjoy to spend my free time. I need at least 2 hours daily, and some days I have less than that.

This is my eight points plan. I want to share it with you and I would be grateful reading your opinions:

3 persons have voted this message useful

El Forastero
Pentaglot
Colombia
Joined 6080 days ago

186 posts - 228 votes 

Message 2 of 30
26 August 2010 at 1:06am | IP Logged 

1) I'm going to do the 96 lesson BBC English course. I decided to start in the lesson 40. In two months time, I will finish that

2) After that, I will study with the "Cambridge preparation for the toefl test" for a month

3) Everiday, I will write an essay about a topic from This document. Before the day test, I 'll have written almost 90 essays

4) Every week, I´ll Try to watch a movie three times: First, with Spanish subtitles, then with English subtitles and finally without subtitles

5) I'm going to heard BBC News on Radio, practicing the taking notes and talk about the news to someone

6) If the texts exist, Everything I need to read, I'll read it in English (Even news about my country)

7) I'll try to read English literature. I don't know if reading a translated books is a good Idea (for instance, Hundred years of solitude. I love this book and i've read it six times in Spanish)

8) I deffinitely will return to this forum and participate in every topic that i can say my opinion

3 persons have voted this message useful

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5658 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: German*, DutchC1, EnglishB2, French, Italian, Spanish, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Danish, Norwegian, Turkish
Personal Language Map

Message 3 of 30
26 August 2010 at 12:48pm | IP Logged 
This is your study project, so you should write a log about it. Good luck with your plans!

Fasulye
1 person has voted this message useful

El Forastero
Pentaglot
Colombia
Joined 6080 days ago

186 posts - 228 votes 

Message 4 of 30
06 September 2010 at 4:52pm | IP Logged 
Well, I'm here reporting my experience after 10 days:

1. About English course. i've decided to begin in the Unit 33 instead the originally planned Unit 40. That was rather a good decission, even though these extra units didn't teach me something new, they put me in the road, the routine. Now, when I'm really learning new things, I know its dynamics and what should I do and what I souldn't.

2) About Toefl Essays: I can see the evolution. First essay had 403 words, without good connections between ideas or paragraphs, and with a uncomfortable disposition to write. Now, I've writen nine essays, ant the last onw had 650 words in the same time, linking in a better way the ideas and paragraphs and, (I consider that's the most important), I realise what's the mistakes that i need to correct and the words I need to remember.

3) About movies, I haven't got opotunity. I definitely have no much time

4) About hearing BBC News: Every day I could do it, and i feel my understanding skills is improving step by step. I don't try to take notes yet

5) About reading, every day i could do it (only online articles, wikipedia, news). First days i tried to read aloud, but that demands me much time and i don't continue. I couldn't start with formal literature

6) About this forum, well, I post some days, I sould like to do more often.

And I continue...
2 persons have voted this message useful

rob4languages
Groupie
Egypt
Joined 5008 days ago

53 posts - 55 votes 
Speaks: Arabic (Egyptian)*
Studies: English

Message 5 of 30
06 September 2010 at 10:33pm | IP Logged 
I wish you the best of luck to achieve TOEFL , I take your idea about watching a movie three times and I'll try to do it once a week , thanks for that and good luck with your study ....

Robert,

Edited by rob4languages on 07 September 2010 at 11:59am

El Forastero
Pentaglot
Colombia
Joined 6080 days ago

186 posts - 228 votes 

Message 6 of 30
07 September 2010 at 4:21pm | IP Logged 
Thanks a lot for the answers.

Yesterday I could start with the movies, even though it was only half an hour. I begin with "V for Vendeta" that has a clear (even exaggerated?) british accent.

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6250 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 7 of 30
07 September 2010 at 10:38pm | IP Logged 
Do you want corrections?

El Forastero
Pentaglot
Colombia
Joined 6080 days ago

186 posts - 228 votes 

Message 8 of 30
07 September 2010 at 11:42pm | IP Logged 
Of course, I want them!! (are you talking about my essays? or about anything else?)

If you can help me correcting my essays, I'll be very grateful. how can I show them to you? should I post them here? By e-mail?

Thankas a lot for your help

This discussion contains 30 messages over 4 pages: 2 3 4  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version