Colombia
alijunakai.blogspot.Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6088 days ago

186 posts - 228 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, Portuguese, FrenchB1, EnglishC1, Italian
Studies: German

Message 17 of 30
14 September 2010 at 12:18am | IP Logged 
Well, it's possible that someone has a high scored TOEFL and, despite that, is not capable to comunicate with proficency. That's also possible have a good proficency and fluenty and a poor TOEFL.

For instance, a 10 years English speaker old boy surely would have a poor TOEFL, however he has good fluency as a native speaker.

My goal is being fluent, have the four main skills. My goal is not only the TOEFL. But i' sure that, if I'm fluent, and i am in an academic environment, i must to have a good score
1 person has voted this message useful

El Forastero
Pentaglot
Colombia
Joined 6088 days ago

186 posts - 228 votes 

Message 18 of 30
14 September 2010 at 12:36am | IP Logged 
in order to avoid dickens and Twain, but with the wish of finding English literature toread, I've decided to read some light literature: Tom Sharpe is a very funny humour writer and i read 11 titles by him (Obviously, translated to Spanish). I think i'm going to enjoy this training if Tom sharpe is the writer i'm going to read.

Last night, i get my personal writing goal: I wrote an essay of 800 words. After now, I will concentrate more in improving my syntax than in improving my enghlish typing speed

jplain
United States
Joined 5116 days ago

23 posts - 34 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 19 of 30
15 September 2010 at 7:19pm | IP Logged 
El Forastero wrote:
I have a question about "on the other hand". At least in Spanish, you say that when you want to say something quite different without change totally the conversation topic. I thought that's the situation in my paragraph, but perhaps it have a different use.

The saying "on the other hand" is used when contrasting one idea which is quite different from another. Perhaps they're even complete opposites. So it doesn't quite fit in this case. The activities you mention are too similar to contrast using that phrase.

Here are some example sentences taken from idioms.thefreedictionary.com.
Quote:
On the one hand, I'd like more money, but on the other hand, I'm not prepared to work the extra hours in order to get it.

Quote:
On the one hand, you complain that you're lonely, and on the other hand you won't come to parties with me.

Quote:
John: I'm ready to go; on the other hand, I'm perfectly comfortable here.

Quote:
Mary: I like this one. On the other hand, this (one) is nice too.

I hope that helps!
2 persons have voted this message useful

El Forastero
Pentaglot
Colombia
Joined 6088 days ago

186 posts - 228 votes 

Message 20 of 30
23 September 2010 at 3:47pm | IP Logged 
I have been studying this recent days following the plan, and I could dedicate more than 2 hours each day to listening excercises, and I come back to reading aloud some neurtal texts (as wikipedia's ones)

Last night I did unit 58 of my BBC course and I can conclude this:

1. Planeta Agostini's course is , by far, better than BBC course. I'm almost in the advanced units and haven't already found some more complex grammar explanation, as "Third conditional tense" or this topic about verbes than introduce infinitive verbs or -ing form. I remember Planeta Agostini's course had best explanations, dialogues, examples and so on

2. I still can't find in these units unknown things to learn. Something some "tips", but not a whole unit with totally new content.

So, I'm continuing "Remembering" rather than "learning". But I'm doing each day a lesson and I haven't still felt that I need to repeat a unit so that I could learn it better.

Wrinting is at the moment the less of my worries. Last night I have the worst result in the last 10 days: I wrote an essay of 648 words. That's much better than this essay which I had 27/30 points in 2008. And Now, I need a charitable soul that helps me to correct some of my essays.

Last night i tried to watch an "easy movie" in English: Ratatuoille. I felt i understand more than 80% of the dialogues, but it was very late and finally i got slept.

El Forastero
Pentaglot
Colombia
Joined 6088 days ago

186 posts - 228 votes 

Message 21 of 30
29 September 2010 at 5:56pm | IP Logged 
Last night I did unit 62 of my BBC course and I realize that it's a little old one: Last night i've learnt how to compose a telegram :D

I have a task to do: I must practice some unusual verb tenses i've learn them in the last units: I can doubtless understand them when I read them, but i'm not very fluent writing them.

I could already watch some movies without subtitles. I had decided watch Pixar's movies because I supposed they had an easy language and a slow speaking speed, but tha ubly truth was different: I understand about of 90% of Ratatouille, 80% of A bug's life and 60% of Finding Nemo (despite tha fact that one was my favourite). Then, I tried with another kind of mivies, and I understood about 90% of "the boy with stripped piyamas"

I continue writing my essays every day. I'm going to post in this forum waiting for someone that could me help with corrections. They are posted HERE.

I continue also listening BBC news for a while. In two weeks i'm going to begin an specific course for Toefl preparation.

Aineko
Triglot
New Zealand
Joined 5267 days ago

238 posts - 442 votes 
Speaks: Serbian*, EnglishC2, Spanish
Studies: Russian, Arabic (Written), Mandarin

Message 22 of 30
05 October 2010 at 11:41pm | IP Logged 
Arekkusu wrote:
To anyone with TOEFL experience, do you think there is any validity
to the claim that if you spent time learning English as a whole, TOEFL would naturally
become much easier to master?

I'd say yes. Here is my experience:
I was learning English in school for 10 years, starting at the age of 10: 4 in primary
school, 4 in highschool and 2 first years at uni. In the second year of uni we already
started using English textbooks for certain subjects and, also, I got my first computer
so I started chatting with English speaking people. I had to take TOEFL in Jan 2006 in
order to enrol for a PhD in New Zealand. The required score on paper-based test was 575
and 4.5 for the essay. Before that I had been abroad three times, in situations where I
had to speak English (student conferences), attended three classes about 'how to write
TOEFL essay' (since the format of the essay differs from the essays we were expected to
write in Serbian education system) and two weeks before the exam I started doing
exercises in three TOEFL preparation books (forgot which ones, some of those that can
be found on Amazon). I scored 623 (or was it 613, I'm not quite sure). I didn't really
spend much time at all preparing for TOEFL it self.
What I'm confused with is the ranking system of this forum - as far as I know, TOEFL
does not test C2 level, so how comes that my score makes C2?

El Forastero
Pentaglot
Colombia
Joined 6088 days ago

186 posts - 228 votes 

Message 23 of 30
26 October 2010 at 3:42pm | IP Logged 
one month later than my last post, I'm going to show this months advances:

- I continued doing my BBC course, but i have stopped it in unit 80 because i was not learning longer. The topics were very specific grammar uses, and i had already to start to improve my specific skills for TOEFL

- I read as much as possible and I realize i'm improving more and more.

- I watched some documentaries (They have almost the same speech pattern that lectures i will find in toefl). I understand easyly main ideas, but i'm still not able to focus on details.

- I write almost every day an essay. It will be very easy to me get a score of 26 or more in independent task

- I start the "Cambridge preparatin for the toefl test" and i'm doing every day. First, i did a diagnosis test and i had almost the same score that my currento one: 25 reading, 16 listening, poor speaking (average of 50%). Writing is by far the less of my worries, but i had some problems in the integrated writing tast, because of my lack of listening ability.

At the moment, i am in the final three weeks of preparation. I am very anxious with speaking section. My diagnosis test showed me the ugly true about that

I'm continuing...

El Forastero
Pentaglot
Colombia
Joined 6088 days ago

186 posts - 228 votes 

Message 24 of 30
21 November 2010 at 1:43am | IP Logged 
I've just paid the examen (US$175) and the date will be december the 10th. So i have still three weeks to practice.

I'm going to start today specific excercises in order to improve my speaking skills (I consider it at the moment the weakest). I still get anxious when need to speak aloud, and my fluency is worse as by written. On the other hand, i continue listening documentries, written essays and read as much as I can.

Three weeks...

This discussion contains 30 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 24  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version