Tags: Linguaphone
 Language Learning Forum : Language Programs, Books & Tapes Post Reply
13 messages over 2 pages: 1 2  Next >>
CSIII
United States
Joined 5077 days ago

8 posts - 9 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, Spanish, Arabic (Written)

Message 1 of 13
27 August 2010 at 6:40am | IP Logged 
First off, as this is my first post, I must say that this site is really quite fantastic. Kudos!
I look forward to becoming a frequent contributor here. OK, I have this question about the Linguaphone courses.

I've been lurking for months and devouring Prof. A's YouTube videos about the various language learning programs including the older Linguaphone ones. I also have read here that the Linguaphone courses between 1975-2000 are also very good, albeit they are lacking the homogeneous storyline structure of the earlier generations.

So, looking around on the Net, I have found Linguaphone courses that have 10 cassettes/CDs and 4 books (9 cassettes for the course and 1 other). These sets are housed in either a case with a flap over cover, a large briefcase, or some type of open case with the cassettes/CDs in the center and two books on either side. These sets seem to be around the 1970s to 1990s. I have also seen similar Linguaphone courses that contain 14 cassettes and some books. Are these 14 cassette courses the Linguaphone Plus courses? Is this a way to identify the Plus courses from photos?

Is there a difference in the courses that can be determined by the case type? Can anyone shed some light on the open case type?

Were the late 1990s Linguaphone sets made with CDs? Are the CD versions as comprehensive as their brother cassette versions (CDs would be a little more convenient for me)? In other words, should I stay away from this type of set?

The problem with all of the great information that I am now fortunate to acquire is that it breeds more questions.

Thanks for your help.

Edited by CSIII on 27 August 2010 at 7:17am

1 person has voted this message useful

hobbitofny
United States
Joined 6021 days ago

280 posts - 408 votes 
Studies: Russian

Message 2 of 13
27 August 2010 at 12:36pm | IP Logged 
The Russian course on Cd is the same as the one from the early 1970s. The sound fits on 2 of the 90 minute cassettes. It was spread out on shorter length cassettes in the 1980s version. When they converted it to the cds, they left it the same number cassettes. This is true for most other languages from Linguaphone.

The 1970s courses in German and Russian had four books plus an instruction folder or or flyer.

The 14 cassettes would have additional lessons over a normal course.You need to check number of books. Both German courses together have a total of 8 books: 2 texts, 2 handbooks (translations of the texts with notes), 2 vocabulary books, 2 exercises books, and the instructions. If purchased separate it is 15 cds, together 14 cds. The difference is the introduction cd is not in the set twice and only one instruction flyer.

The cases have changed over the years. It hard to tell the difference from the case. You are better using the book count.

(If you buy the cassette version, Spin It Agian software does a get job on converting the sound to digital and cleaning up the sound. It is one of the best softwares for doing this and have a reasonable price.)
3 persons have voted this message useful

CSIII
United States
Joined 5077 days ago

8 posts - 9 votes
Studies: Italian, Spanish, Arabic (Written)

Message 3 of 13
27 August 2010 at 5:32pm | IP Logged 
Thanks hobbitofny for your reply. I needed this type of info.

Do you know if the CD version is the Plus or the standard Linguaphone cassette version? In other words, maybe they didn't have a Plus version in the 1970s?

My older (78s) Spanish set has a Course book, Explanatory Notes book, Text of Sounds Record book, and Student Instructions. Am I missing a book?

I will check out Spin It Again. I know that Audacity would do it but not certain how well it will convert it and if it's as painless as it seems with SIA.

Edited by CSIII on 27 August 2010 at 5:58pm

Elexi
United Kingdom
Joined 5353 days ago

938 posts - 1839 votes 
Studies: French, German, Latin

Message 4 of 13
27 August 2010 at 8:54pm | IP Logged 
The 78s course (50s-60s) contained the books you mentioned - your course is complete.

The 1970s course came with three books - a course book containing the dialogues, an book of grammatical and vocabulary notes and a book of written exercises. They came with 4 cassettes. In the late 1980s a fourth book of FSI like substitution drills was added (together with additional audio on the now 9 cassettes (six for more minor languages)). The 'narrative' structure of these courses all followed a family returning home from their work abroad to their native land for a holiday. Although they lack the homogeneous storyline of the 50s and 60s course, each of the 30 chapters covers the equivalent material.

The 'Plus' course contained the 90s variant of the course plus two VHS cassettes of basic travel style phrases - the conceit was a news programme on a particular city, with a reporter using basic phrases as he moves around the city.

Linguaphone also made an advanced course consisting of 4 books and 4 tapes with 60 lessons for French, Spanish and German. These are still sold today in the same format. You sometimes see them sold in a black suitcase (or sans suitcase) with the original course. In this format the basic course is made up of grey books and the advanced of sky blue books.

The modern Linguaphone courses are the same as the 1970s-1990s course except the French and the Spanish courses - for some reason Linguaphone have moved away from their dialogue approach in these languages to a set of 6 Berlitz style books containing CDs of brief exercises.

As to putting the tapes onto MP3 - I find using plugging the tape player in a computer and then remastering the tapes in Audacity or, better, Reaper to be the best method.

The
3 persons have voted this message useful

hobbitofny
United States
Joined 6021 days ago

280 posts - 408 votes 

Message 5 of 13
27 August 2010 at 10:50pm | IP Logged 
Audacity does fine job recording the tapes. Its cleaning software is not it strength.

I have not see the later German. I have a early 1960 and a late 1970s. Thanks for the additional information. With the number of languages and the differences in course over the years, it is hard give an overview of all the courses and time periods. I know the different Russian courses. I have two version of the German.

James29
Diglot
United States
Joined 5163 days ago

1265 posts - 2113 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French

Message 6 of 13
28 August 2010 at 1:06am | IP Logged 
Is the 4 cassette advanced course mentioned by Elexi the same as the 6 CD advanced course that Linguaphone now markets as its "second stage" course? Is it worth the high price tag? Where can it be purchased in the US? It does not seem to be offered on Amazon.

Elexi
United Kingdom
Joined 5353 days ago

938 posts - 1839 votes 
Studies: French, German, Latin

Message 7 of 13
28 August 2010 at 10:57am | IP Logged 
I think they are the same - the second stage books are the same quantity and length as the older series. Worth £250? No. But I have the French and German courses and they are a good advanced course. You can get them on ebay.co.uk in cassette form for about £25-45.
2 persons have voted this message useful

hobbitofny
United States
Joined 6021 days ago

280 posts - 408 votes 

Message 8 of 13
28 August 2010 at 12:19pm | IP Logged 
link for USA Linguaphone sell the current versions in USA.

This discussion contains 13 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version