leosmith
United States
Joined 6340 days ago

2365 posts - 3804 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Tagalog

Message 9 of 17
28 August 2010 at 10:32pm | IP Logged 
Sorry if I was unclear - I'm not asking for advice here; just a number. I'm very interested in your opinions on
where the break-even point is. I put in an explanation of why I'm interested, and some interpreted that as a cry
for help. If you really really feel a need to help me, you might want to ask me what my study plan is first.

The Real CZ wrote:
Focusing on time spent isn't as effective as focusing on objectives during
studying.

Please elaborate, and in your elaboration, please explain how focusing on objectives will allow me determine how
many languages I can study at once.
mikemike wrote:
What do you think of studying 1 language for 2 years, and then incorporating another
language.
You can then decrease the amount of hours in the first language, and devote more to the second.

I think it's fine, and similar to what I do.
mikemike wrote:
I think this is a more viable approach.

More viable than what?
Mooby wrote:
maybe concentrate on one for a year then think about adding another?

This is similar to what I'm doing.
1 person has voted this message useful

michaelmichael
Canada
Joined 5047 days ago

167 posts - 202 votes 
Studies: French

Message 10 of 17
28 August 2010 at 11:30pm | IP Logged 
leosmith wrote:

mikemike wrote:
I think this is a more viable approach.

More viable than what?

More viable than doing 3/2 languages at once

Edited by michaelmichael on 29 August 2010 at 4:19am

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6229 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 11 of 17
29 August 2010 at 6:03am | IP Logged 
I'm not really convinced that there is such a thing as a break-even point.

There are languages I've studied quite a lot, with incredibly poor methods (my earliest excursions into independent language learning, years ago). A "break even" point for the non-Italian Roman languages in that set was quite a low number, but I don't think I ever hit it for German or Japanese in those days, despite far more study. It was also a much higher number for Italian (my strongest Romance language, and the one I most actively worked on) than for the ones which were piggybacking on comparison to it.

If I read something about the major phonological shifts between two related languages, it takes well under an hour, and I retain the information, and gain a passive understanding of perhaps thousands of words. I wouldn't call an hour the break-even point, though. An hour of L-R or any courseware I've ever used, followed by a break of a year, does not have impressive results.

Continual improvement is a useful concept. Taking a break, and dusting things off more quickly also is. Break-even points are a seductive idea, but I'm not particularly convinced that they can be usefully determined a-priori.

2 persons have voted this message useful

Merv
Bilingual Diglot
United States
Joined 5063 days ago

414 posts - 749 votes 
Speaks: English*, Serbo-Croatian*
Studies: Spanish, French

Message 12 of 17
29 August 2010 at 6:19am | IP Logged 
Volte wrote:
I'm not really convinced that there is such a thing as a break-even point.

There are languages I've studied quite a lot, with incredibly poor methods (my earliest excursions into
independent language learning, years ago). A "break even" point for the non-Italian Roman languages in that set
was quite a low number, but I don't think I ever hit it for German or Japanese in those days, despite far more
study. It was also a much higher number for Italian (my strongest Romance language, and the one I most actively
worked on) than for the ones which were piggybacking on comparison to it.

If I read something about the major phonological shifts between two related languages, it takes well under an
hour, and I retain the information, and gain a passive understanding of perhaps thousands of words. I wouldn't
call an hour the break-even point, though. An hour of L-R or any courseware I've ever used, followed by a break
of a year, does not have impressive results.

Continual improvement is a useful concept. Taking a break, and dusting things off more quickly also is. Break-
even points are a seductive idea, but I'm not particularly convinced that they can be usefully determined a-priori.

I'm not clear on what is meant by a "break even point." Is this the point when fluency begins, or what?

leosmith
United States
Joined 6340 days ago

2365 posts - 3804 votes 
Studies: Tagalog

Message 13 of 17
29 August 2010 at 7:22am | IP Logged 
Interesting opinion Volte.

Merv wrote:
I'm not clear on what is meant by a "break even point."

For the purpose of this poll, I'm defining the break even point as
leosmith wrote:
the minimum number of hours per year is, on an average, required to learn a language to basic fluency as defined by this forum

Theoretically
1) if you study less than the minimum number of hours per year, you will never become fluent
2) If you study more than the minimum number of hours per year, you will eventually become fluent
so studying exactly the minimum number of hours per year is an imaginary "break even"

From the preliminary poll results, it looks like very few people here believe
30 minutes a day
is enough to learn a language. Thoughts?

2 persons have voted this message useful

JPike1028
Triglot
United States
piketransitions
Joined 5187 days ago

297 posts - 337 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Italian
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Arabic (Written), Swedish, Portuguese, Czech

Message 14 of 17
29 August 2010 at 7:34am | IP Logged 
For basic fluency I would say about 500 hours a year. If you follow the 10,000 hour theory, you need to put in about 1,000 hours a year (3 hours a day) for ten years to reach the 10,000 mark, so I figure half that would make you able to achieve and maintain basic fluency.

Edited by JPike1028 on 29 August 2010 at 7:35am

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5171 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 15 of 17
29 August 2010 at 7:25pm | IP Logged 
JPike1028 wrote:
For basic fluency I would say about 500 hours a year. If you follow
the 10,000 hour theory, you need to put in about 1,000 hours a year (3 hours a day) for
ten years to reach the 10,000 mark, so I figure half that would make you able to achieve
and maintain basic fluency.

Could you refresh our (ie. my) memory: what exactly is the 10,000 hour theory?

If you spend 3 hours a day studying and you aren't fluent in 5 years, something deeply
wrong with either you, or your method. I could never sustain such a regimen and I became
fluent in many languages in a fraction of that time.

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6699 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 16 of 17
30 August 2010 at 12:27am | IP Logged 
The theory suggests that you should put in 10 000 hours to become an expert in your field.
Google

While I agree that studying three hours a day for five years should lead to good skills in a language, the definition of "studying" and "fluency" is vague.

This discussion contains 17 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version