13 messages over 2 pages: 1 2  Next >>
translator2
United States
Joined 6714 days ago

848 posts - 1862 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 1 of 13
02 September 2010 at 3:35pm | IP Logged 
In an effort to entice me to join for another year, the alumni association of my former university sent me a bumper sticker to place on my car with the school logo. Underneath the logo are the words "PROUD ALUMNI". Shouldn't this be "PROUD ALUMNUS"?
3 persons have voted this message useful

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6234 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 2 of 13
02 September 2010 at 4:30pm | IP Logged 
They clearly expect you to be so proud that there are always at least two alumni in your car, at least one of whom is male.

That, or they expect you to be proud of being ignorant of Latin.

5 persons have voted this message useful

SamD
Triglot
United States
Joined 6454 days ago

823 posts - 987 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French
Studies: Portuguese, Norwegian

Message 3 of 13
10 September 2010 at 9:32pm | IP Logged 
I don't really know Latin, but I do know that "alumni" is plural, "alumnus" is male and "alumna" is female.

Perhaps it's just too much trouble to put out "alumnus" bumper stickers for male former students and "alumna" bumper stickers for female former students. What happens if you have a married couple who attended the university and use the same car? Do they get a special "alumni" sticker?

It is even more irritating to hear singular people say "I am an alumni." No, no, no!
3 persons have voted this message useful

zyz
United States
Joined 5131 days ago

19 posts - 28 votes
Studies: Latin, Ancient Greek, Sanskrit

Message 4 of 13
11 September 2010 at 5:13am | IP Logged 
The words, having entered English, are English words, and we shouldn't be terribly
concerned about maintaining Latinate forms. It seems ill-advised to start producing
statements like "I just met an alumnum of UV."

But having said that, something else to the same effect: in American English, alumni is
pronounced /əˈlʌmnaɪ/, and alumnae /əˈlʌmniː/. In Latin, the pronunciation of the final
vowels are the other way around.
4 persons have voted this message useful

furrykef
United States
furrykef.com/
Joined 6267 days ago

681 posts - 862 votes 
Studies: Spanish, Japanese, Latin, Italian

Message 5 of 13
24 September 2010 at 1:11pm | IP Logged 
zyz wrote:
The words, having entered English, are English words, and we shouldn't be terribly concerned about maintaining Latinate forms.

But other English words imported from masculine second-declension Latin follow the same rule: -us for singular, -i for plural. (Or, sometimes, -us for singular and -uses for plural.) Using -i for both singular and plural makes for a rather bizarre exception.

1 person has voted this message useful

Ari
Heptaglot
Norway
Joined 6377 days ago

2314 posts - 5695 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Mandarin, Cantonese
Studies: Czech, Latin, German

Message 6 of 13
24 September 2010 at 1:57pm | IP Logged 
furrykef wrote:
Using -i for both singular and plural makes for a rather bizarre exception.

Well, it's not like it's the first word to have its singular formed from a Latin plural. "Media" and "data" are, despite the cries of hypercorrective grammar nazis, singular nouns in English, formed from plural nouns of Latin. There are also heaps of nouns of Latin origin that don't form Latinate plurals, such as "medium/mediums", "circus/circuses" and the male and female genitalia ("Penes"? "Vaginae"?).

So it wouldn't be that exceptional an exception.
2 persons have voted this message useful

furrykef
United States
furrykef.com/
Joined 6267 days ago

681 posts - 862 votes 
Studies: Spanish, Japanese, Latin, Italian

Message 7 of 13
27 September 2010 at 6:25am | IP Logged 
Quote:
"Media" and "data" are, despite the cries of hypercorrective grammar nazis, singular nouns in English, formed from plural nouns of Latin.

Those are uncountable nouns, though. You can say "one medium, two media", but you can't say "one media, two medias". I can't think of an example that became a countable noun. (One might say "opera", from Latin "opus" -- except Latin also has "opera" as a singular first-declension noun in its own right.)

Quote:
There are also heaps of nouns of Latin origin that don't form Latinate plurals

While that's true, that doesn't matter, really. It just means that there are alternative rules, but they are rules nonetheless:
sing. -a, pl. -ae
sing. -a, pl. -as
sing. -us, pl. -i
sing. -us, pl. -uses
sing. -um, pl. -a
sing. -um, pl. -ums

(For the sake of this discussion I'll overlook nouns outside the first and second declensions, since they're not relevant right now)

"Alumni" as a singular just does not fit in there anywhere. So yes, I do think it is "that exceptional an exception".

H.Computatralis
Triglot
Poland
Joined 6099 days ago

130 posts - 210 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, French, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Latin

Message 8 of 13
03 October 2010 at 4:18pm | IP Logged 
I'm always quite amazed when people try to stop language change. Well, whether you like it or not language changes all the time. New words enter the language while old ones are abandoned, words change their meaning, usages are regularized, etc. Arbitrarily imposing some rules taken from another language is not going to stop that, sorry.

In this case, I think singular "alumni" is still a minority usage, but IMO it seems to become more and more acceptable.

This discussion contains 13 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version