Groupie
Poland
Joined 4908 days ago

40 posts - 52 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English, Spanish, Greek
Studies: Russian, Serbian

Message 17 of 22
12 December 2010 at 1:16pm | IP Logged 
Ok, so I'll do my best to make the translation from French, although my French is poor. I think I'll also help myself looking at the English version. Hope you don't mind.

Polish:
"Nazywajcie mnie Izmael. Kilka lat temu - nieważne ile dokładnie - mając niewiele albo nie mając w ogóle pieniędzy w portfelu i nie mogąc znaleźć sobie żadnego interesującego zajęcia, postanowiłem wypłynąć w morze i zwiedzić wodne tereny tego świata. To mój sposób na pozbycie się przygnębienia i uporządkowanie myśli."
2 persons have voted this message useful

lingoleng
Germany
Joined 5094 days ago

605 posts - 1290 votes 

Message 18 of 22
12 December 2010 at 8:39pm | IP Logged 
At first I want to thank both polyglossia and Natalia for their valuable contributions, which look good to me, (well, I don't speak Polish, so it looks even better to me), I may add some comments later, for now only some notes:
Quote:
I'm not really sure about the "regulating the circulation" part in English... there must be some hidden meaning i didnt get

I am not sure, but I think it is really only "the movement of the blood from and to the heart" (Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary Of Current English, 1986; not t o o current any more, I guess ...). Like in "Jogging is good for the circulation and your health", something like this. It may be deeply symbolic, but then it is an additional layer, not something immediately visible here from this passage.
And I really liked that polyglossia offered a raw version and an improved one, this is certainly taken from real life, usually we don't see the (many) versions needed until a good solution is found.
"the watery part of the world": I liked this both casual and poetic phrase right from the beginning, and it looks like it has inspired others. There is a new novel by Michael Parker, due for release in March 2011 with the title, ahm, "The Watery Part of the World", Amazon link, a must read, without any doubt ;-) .
The theater company "The Sound and the Fury" created a project named, wait, The Watery Part of the World and it looks like the Guardian called it “An extraordinary piece of theatre." That's something, indeed.
So we can continue from Polish to any lanuage, or if you prefer another version as your base: go ahead, just ignore the google translations, signed or unsigned ...
1 person has voted this message useful

Gosiak
Triglot
Poland
Joined 4922 days ago

241 posts - 361 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English, German
Studies: Norwegian, Welsh

Message 19 of 22
12 December 2010 at 11:29pm | IP Logged 
lingoleng wrote:

I have chosen the beginning of a minor novel as a starting point, so that we can do no
harm

I' m sorry for interrupting the game. I just want to point out that the quotation
originates from one of the MAJOR works of American literature. It is often described as a
masterpiece and I recomend it to anybody who likes ambitious read.

lingoleng
Germany
Joined 5094 days ago

605 posts - 1290 votes 

Message 20 of 22
13 December 2010 at 12:29am | IP Logged 
Gosiak wrote:
lingoleng wrote:

I have chosen the beginning of a minor novel as a starting point, so that we can do no
harm

I' m sorry for interrupting the game. I just want to point out that the quotation
originates from one of the MAJOR works of American literature. It is often described as a masterpiece and I recomend it to anybody who likes ambitious read.

You are right, Gosiak, it is from "Moby-Dick", first published in 1851 and written by Hermann Melville (1819 - 1891). As "Call me Ishamel" is one of the most famous quotations in the Western world I thought my humorous little remark would be transparent enough.
When I actually read it after having seen several different movie versions I was overwhelmed by the masterpiece itself and it became one of my absolute favourites. I read, at least partially, translations in several languages (maybe later more about these) and thought that maybe some people would share this passion. Well, one never knows, but generally speaking I am surprised how purely pragmatic the language interests of most visitors of this forum are. It looks like the only valid reason for reading a literary book is language acquisition, while it has always been the other way round for me. But this just as a personal side note, it does not really matter.
But I support your recommendation: Anybody who wants to read a book that can become his/her life long companion should give Moby-Dick a try.

michau
Tetraglot
Groupie
Norway
lang-8.com/member/49
Joined 6022 days ago

86 posts - 135 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English, NorwegianC1, Mandarin
Studies: Spanish, Sign Language
Studies: Burmese, Toki Pona, Greenlandic

Message 21 of 22
13 December 2010 at 12:40am | IP Logged 
Natalia wrote:
Polish:
"Nazywajcie mnie Izmael. Kilka lat temu - nieważne ile dokładnie - mając niewiele albo nie mając w ogóle pieniędzy w portfelu i nie mogąc znaleźć sobie żadnego interesującego zajęcia, postanowiłem wypłynąć w morze i zwiedzić wodne tereny tego świata. To mój sposób na pozbycie się przygnębienia i uporządkowanie myśli."

Norwegian (translation from Polish, without looking at the English original):

Kall meg for Izmael. For noen år siden - ikke viktig hvor mange nøyaktig - med lite eller ingen penger i lommeboka og uten mulighet å skaffe seg noe interessant å gjøre, bestemte jeg meg å dra på havet og reise gjennom verdens vannterreng. Det var min måte å bli kvitt dysterheten og ordne tankene på.

Please correct any mistakes I've made.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Gosiak
Triglot
Poland
Joined 4922 days ago

241 posts - 361 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English, German
Studies: Norwegian, Welsh

Message 22 of 22
13 December 2010 at 1:14am | IP Logged 
Hi lingoleng :)

I'm sorry for spoiling your humorous remark. My aside was so matter-of-fact due to my
current literary studies and another reason is that reading all the translations provided
I couldn't find any comment on the chosen quotation (maybe I overlooked it).
There is a similar translation game based on poetry. A starting point is let's say an
English poem that is translated to another language and this translation is the basis of
another translation and so on. After a number of such 'rounds' this poem is translated to
it's original language. There is one important rule: translators must not read the
original, they have to rely solely on their basic texts (preciding translations).
When all of involved people obey the rule the outcome of this game will be intriguing.

This discussion contains 22 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 1 2

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version