Diglot
AustraliaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4977 days ago

24 posts - 27 votes
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Mandarin

Message 9 of 40
19 September 2010 at 2:25pm | IP Logged 
In my personal opinion, Polish is the easiest. However, I am frequently exposed to
Polish, so of course I am biased on this topic. To me, Polish seems to be the most
regular. I have looked a little into Czech, and I have not liked its grammar structure,
and there seem to be no patterns in the way cases are formed. I believe that Polish is
the easiest language to pronounce out of the three for a tongue originally trained to
speak a West Germanic language. Russian has too many slight differences between its
"soft" and "hard" consonants, which can take a long time for a learner to learn to
differentiate. Czech doesn't seem to be as widespread as Polish is, but then again,
neither of those languages can compare to the expanse that Russian has accomplished
over the years.

I still say that Polish is the easiest, even though none of those three languages are
necessarily "easy" for a learner with no prior Slavic knowledge.
2 persons have voted this message useful

lecorbeau
Diglot
Croatia
Joined 5817 days ago

113 posts - 149 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Serbo-Croatian, Turkish

Message 10 of 40
22 September 2010 at 7:26pm | IP Logged 
consider Bosnian/Croatian/Serbian!
1 person has voted this message useful

Merv
Bilingual Diglot
United States
Joined 5070 days ago

414 posts - 749 votes 
Speaks: English*, Serbo-Croatian*
Studies: Spanish, French

Message 11 of 40
24 September 2010 at 6:09am | IP Logged 
None of the Slavic languages are easy. If you don't anticipate learning 2 or 3, I would suggest you go straight to
Russian. It may be harder than Bulgarian, but the efforts will be justified much more. Bulgarian gives you access to
~10 million people and a small body of literature. Most of the educated Bulgarians and Macedonian Slavs speak
English/French/German anyway. Russian gives you access to ~150 million people in Russia and 10's of millions
more in Ukraine, Belarus, and other ex-Soviet countries. There is a very, very rich literature.

As for the last comment that you should consider Serbo-Croatian, it would be easier than Russian in terms of being
phonetic, of having predictable accent, and of lacking palatalization (something a bit alien to a lot of foreigners).
However, acquiring a perfect accent would be harder than in just about any other Slavic language, due to the subtle
pitch accent system.
3 persons have voted this message useful

William Camden
Hexaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6069 days ago

1936 posts - 2333 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, Russian, Turkish, French

Message 12 of 40
24 September 2010 at 12:20pm | IP Logged 
I would go for Russian. It has more and better study materials for learners than any other Slavic language, and a knowledge of Russian sets you up well to study the others in the family, should you so wish.

Streak
United States
Joined 4974 days ago

1 posts - 1 votes
Speaks: English*

Message 13 of 40
26 September 2010 at 1:14am | IP Logged 
TDC wrote:
Also, the 1970s Assimil course is absolutely excellent and can take you to a decent level in Russian.

TDC, would you recommend the Assimil course to a complete beginner?

I own the Teach Yourself Russian course, but the very first audio conversation was a long, complex dialogue that immediately lost me. I obviously need to start with something much more basic.

I have a copy of the Pimsleur Russian course and I'm hoping that will give me something to start with. I know the Pimsleur courses get a lot of criticism, but I need to start somewhere, and it helps me immensely to have the structure of doing an actual "program".

liddytime
Pentaglot
United States
mainlymagyar.wordpre
Joined 6026 days ago

693 posts - 1328 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Italian, Portuguese, Galician
Studies: Hungarian, Vietnamese, Modern Hebrew, Norwegian, Persian, Arabic (Written)

Message 14 of 40
26 September 2010 at 4:19am | IP Logged 
I agree,

Unless you have a specific reason for studying one of the less spoken Slavic tongues ( Czech girlfriend, Polish
grandparents, work exclusively with Bulgarians, planning to work in Serbia etc...) go for Russian.

1. Most number of speakers
2. Easy to find quality instructional material ( don't forget the free DLI and FSI courses!! I also highly recommend
Modern Russian and the free Princeton course is also quite good)
3. Easy to find podcasts and web material
4. Easy to find native speakers in whichever country you are in
5. Relatively easy to jump to another Slavic language after having a good command of Russian

Sennin
Bulgaria
Joined 5831 days ago

1457 posts - 1759 votes 
5 sounds

Message 15 of 40
26 September 2010 at 8:31pm | IP Logged 
liddytime wrote:
5. Relatively easy to jump to another Slavic language after having a good command of Russian

Heh. It's quite a long jump in most cases ;-).

clumsy
Octoglot
Poland
lang-8.com/6715Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4975 days ago

1116 posts - 1367 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English, Japanese, Korean, French, Mandarin, Italian, Vietnamese
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swedish
Studies: Danish, Dari, Kirundi

Message 16 of 40
27 September 2010 at 2:19pm | IP Logged 
Well, it is often said that Polish is harder than Russian, Czech is also not one of the easiest.
There are a lot of irregularities, Russian is said to be hard, but not so hard, maybe also Serbo Croatian is said to be very hard...
So you should choose from some things like Russian, Ukrainian or Bulgarian.
Ith ink it could be true that Bulgarian is the easiest, considering, it has no noun declension.

The noun declension is one of the hardest part in Slavic languages (if not the hardest).
Some people say that Polish is the hardest out of Slavic languages~~
But Czech and Serbian are not considered easy as well.

So Russian or Bulgarian.

This discussion contains 40 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 13 4 5  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version