anthonylauder.c
Joined 5459 days ago

1062 posts - 3263 votes 
Speaks: English*, Czech
Studies: Mandarin

Message 65 of 72
17 April 2011 at 4:35pm | IP Logged 
Teango wrote:

Incidentally, are you currently studying your other languages through Czech as well?

Yes indeed. Well, Russian I am certainly learning via Czech. It is quite closely related,
so it is better to "see the differences", rather than coming from English which is (of
course) totally different.

Mandarin, though, I am learning through English and French - since I am more comfortable
with these languages, and the available resources for learning Mandarin are much better
than those available in Czech.
1 person has voted this message useful

Splog
Diglot
Czech Republic
anthonylauder.c
Joined 5459 days ago

1062 posts - 3263 votes 

Message 66 of 72
17 April 2011 at 4:37pm | IP Logged 
Isarin wrote:

People were at no time "forbidden by law" to speak Czech.

Fantastic. Thanks for this. I shall confront my history professor at the university next
week about this. It is great to see a different history of things from the one we have
been taught. Much appreciated.

Splog
Diglot
Czech Republic
anthonylauder.c
Joined 5459 days ago

1062 posts - 3263 votes 

Message 67 of 72
22 April 2011 at 5:11pm | IP Logged 
Yet another new student joined the class. This one isn't Russian. She is a native Czech
speaker. She lived in the Czech republic until she was 14 I believe, then spent the
past four years in Spain. She joined our conversational class to get back up to speed.
The fact she continued to speak Czech at home in Spain with her parents means, at least
in my opinion, she has no need for the class at all. In fact, one of the professors
said she is wasting her time and money. Still, she seems to think she will get
something out of it.

The group size is now 14 or 15. This is far too big. Last semester, with a group of 3,
was perfect for fast flowing intensive interaction all day long. With a group of 15,
the group dynamic changes significantly: you are lucky to get 15 minutes a day each of
talk-time. Plus, much more focus seems to be focused on the professors than on the
students. The result is that I find my mind drifting a lot, and find myself twiddling
my thumbs a lot.

Earlier in this thread I had stated that I see language classes as a wonderful
complement to the (often) isolated work of self-teaching. I now wish to refine that.
For me, at least, it now only seems to be true when the group size is small enough to
make it intimate. Less than five seems to be ideal. Any more than that, and it seems to
degrade into a more traditional classroom setting. I can see, now, that small
invitation-only study groups may be a useful middle-ground.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Splog
Diglot
Czech Republic
anthonylauder.c
Joined 5459 days ago

1062 posts - 3263 votes 

Message 68 of 72
11 May 2011 at 9:15pm | IP Logged 
You might think that "1" is always singular, but in Czech there is also a plural
"1".

So, "1 apple" would use the singular 1, just as in English.

However, 1 door would use the plural form of 1, since door is a plural word in Czech.

We do something similar in English, where we say things like "1 pair of jeans" - the
word "pair" here makes the 1 (in effect) refer to something plural. Czech, though,
wouldn't need the word "pair" since the plural form of "1" captures this concept.

This applies to other numbers too, except it is even more weird. The number 2 is, of
course, plural (e.g. 2 apples), but there is a different number 2 in Czech - a sort of
double plural - meaning 2 plurals (e.g. 2 jeans).

Worse still, there is yet another form of each of these numbers when you are referring
to different groups. In English, we would say "I have 3 pairs of 2 types of jeans"
whereas in Czech it wouldn't need the words pairs and types, it would use different
categories of the numbers 3 and 2, giving something like "3 2 jeans".

On top of all this, there is another (literary) category of these numbers when it is
referring to fixed expressions. So, "I sailed the 7 seas" would use the literary form
of "7".

All of this is, of course, talking just about cardinal numbers. Then we have ordinals
and other complexities on top. In short, numbers are a nightmare, with concepts that
can make your head explode.

Why am I telling you all this? Because today I met a Russian woman who speaks Czech
really well, but she had never heard of these weird number forms. She seemed a bit
doubtful that they exist in the language, so asked a native speaker. After which, she
burst into tears.

It broke my heart to see it.

She was destroyed emotionally by such a tiny aspect of the grammar. When asked what was
wrong she said "Even after a couple of years of concentrated effort I am still missing
things and making mistakes". I tried to calm her, by explaining that she spoke Czech
really well, and that mastery was a life-long journey. This seemed to upset her even
more.

For some reason, this took my mind back to the book "The Agony and the Ecstasy", which
is about the life of an artist being full of ups and downs. The same seems to be true
of language learning.

As much as we can all enjoy the highs of language learning, for some people there are
mighty deep lows too. The only reassurance here is that for most people, the agony, in
time, is replaced once again by the ecstasy.

Edited by Splog on 12 May 2011 at 7:55am

6 persons have voted this message useful

Splog
Diglot
Czech Republic
anthonylauder.c
Joined 5459 days ago

1062 posts - 3263 votes 

Message 69 of 72
10 June 2011 at 5:46pm | IP Logged 
Today was my last day at University.

I can certainly say that my conversational abilities have increased considerably
throughout the course.

Throughout the course, the language has shifted from being something intellectual,
trapped in my brain, to being part of me. In many respect, I can now speak Czech as
painlessly as I speak English. Sometimes, I don't realise which language I have just
used.

However, it is still not quite as natural as my mother tongue. In some way, I sometimes
still sense that it is foreign, and that my success has simply come down to thousands
of hours of hard work. In effect, brute-forcing the language into me.

I recently read a quote that said something like: "You can walk effortlessly in your
mother tongue, but in all other languages you will only ever be swimming. You can
become a perfect swimmer in them, but it will never be as natural as walking."

I think that sums up my feeling, that I can now swim very well in Czech, and have no
fear of drowning. However, it is still not as natural as my mother tongue.

I was talking about this with one of the Russians in my group, and she said that she
believes you can learn to "walk effortlessly" in another language from the same family
as your mother tongue, but once you jump language families, she agrees that the best
you can achieve is to be an excellent swimmer.

Maybe it is correct, or maybe it is just a matter of 20 more years of immersion. We
will see. For now, though, I am satisfied with my Czech abilities, and am switching
most of my active effort to another language.

So, this will be the last official entry in the "Splog at University" thread.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Splog
Diglot
Czech Republic
anthonylauder.c
Joined 5459 days ago

1062 posts - 3263 votes 

Message 71 of 72
10 June 2011 at 6:56pm | IP Logged 
Kuikentje wrote:
Congratulations!!

Which language will you learn now? I think that German would be good because you live
near Germany and especially Austria, and it's a great language.

German is a language I have been studying for a very long time already. I am not very
proficient in it, to be honest, but can get by well enough in German. It is one of my
ongoing "background languages".

Czech has been my "foreground" language for long enough, and I am moving it to the
background. I am bring Vietnamese to the foreground. It is a language I have dabbled in
before, but never bitten into seriously. Maybe it will prove too much, and I will end
up giving up after a few months. Nevertheless, it will be a nice challenge for me.

Theodisce
Octoglot
Poland
Joined 5676 days ago

127 posts - 167 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, Latin, Ancient Greek, Russian, Czech, French, English, German
Studies: Italian, Spanish, Slovak, Ukrainian, Serbo-Croatian, Greek, Portuguese

Message 72 of 72
15 July 2011 at 10:10pm | IP Logged 
Splog wrote:
You might think that "1" is always singular, but in Czech there is also a plural
"1".

So, "1 apple" would use the singular 1, just as in English.

However, 1 door would use the plural form of 1, since door is a plural word in Czech.

It seems to be a common phenomenon in Indo-European languages and such nouns are often referred to as "pluralia tantum". Polish word for a door follows the Czech pattern.

I'd like to thank you for creating such a valuable log. I will continue to come back to what you wrote here, and it's not only because I'm studying Czech, the material is just rich and, I believe, of general interest.

Edited by Theodisce on 15 July 2011 at 10:10pm

This discussion contains 72 messages over 9 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version