Groupie
United States
Joined 5038 days ago

50 posts - 62 votes 
Speaks: English*, Norwegian*, Spanish
Studies: French

Message 1 of 24
16 September 2010 at 12:34am | IP Logged 
I've been studying Spanish since December 2009, and I have to say I'm pretty good, not one hundred percent fluent but getting there, and I have a feeling that by December of THIS year I'll have been studying for exactly a year, and I think I can get myself to pretty thorough fluency by then (it's still three months away, a third of what's passed.) I'll be posting my realizations, study methods and other things here, to keep me motivated. My goal is to be fuent or mostly fluent by December thirteenth, so I can move on to French (which is in my dad's family.)

Edited by Fasulye on 16 September 2010 at 7:23am

1 person has voted this message useful

kthorg
Bilingual Triglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 5038 days ago

50 posts - 62 votes 

Message 2 of 24
16 September 2010 at 12:36am | IP Logged 
Spent time reading today, don't have as much time as I did now that school's started. recorded a few Spanish shows to watch during free time. I've been writing on lang-8.
Any other suggestions?

2 months 28 days left

Edited by kthorg on 16 September 2010 at 12:40am

kthorg
Bilingual Triglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 5038 days ago

50 posts - 62 votes 

Message 3 of 24
18 September 2010 at 1:15am | IP Logged 
I watched a Spanish soap opera today, don't really like soap operas, but they help A LOT. getting excited as comprehension gets easier and easier. I'm going to reaf some tonight befor bed, I use bilingual texts, they help SO MUCH! I haven't really been able to find very many, but if anyone knows anything about where to get bilingual texts it would be much appreciated!

2 months, 26 days left

kthorg
Bilingual Triglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 5038 days ago

50 posts - 62 votes 

Message 4 of 24
21 September 2010 at 1:53am | IP Logged 
Recording more of "el Clon" and "el Cartel II" to help with my understanding, got to speak for a long time with a native-speaker today.

2 months, 23 days left

kthorg
Bilingual Triglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 5038 days ago

50 posts - 62 votes 

Message 5 of 24
26 September 2010 at 6:25pm | IP Logged 
I've been listening to bedtime stories from Spain through a podcast, though my goal is Latin American Spanish. Will this cause trouble? haven't had as much time to watch Spanish TV lately though. I'll be signing up for Skype lessons pretty soon.

Does noone have any suggestions?

Closer and closer! already picking out some of my dad's French books to use when I get there!

Just 2 months, 17 days left!

Edited by kthorg on 26 September 2010 at 6:29pm

kraemder
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4995 days ago

1497 posts - 1648 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Spanish, Japanese

Message 6 of 24
28 September 2010 at 8:50pm | IP Logged 
It sounds like you're doing everything fine yourself. I read/listen to a lot of European Spanish and I don't think it hurts my goal of learning Latin American Spanish in the least personally. You really have to make a conscious choice to start saying vosotros and conjugating it etc, it doesn't just flow off the tongue I find heh. So I have no worries with that. I find the European pronunciation is harder to understand is all.

How much are you paying for the skype lessons? I'd be interested in taking some of those myself.

I'm curious how French will work out for you with the Spanish background. Good luck!

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5206 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 7 of 24
28 September 2010 at 11:42pm | IP Logged 

Check out Bilingual-Texts. There's a few there, and there's a link to http://albalearning.com/ (check out the audio links for The Little Prince and the Kafka book).

I'm actually working through El Principito right now. Also, you can check out lingq.com. You can add your own texts there, and I will sometimes put a chapter of a book in there and it's a really easy way to get vocab definitions you don't know. =)

Buena suerte!

Edit: TYPO

Edited by Kerrie on 28 September 2010 at 11:43pm

kthorg
Bilingual Triglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 5038 days ago

50 posts - 62 votes 

Message 8 of 24
02 October 2010 at 3:47am | IP Logged 
Thanks! I haven't used the skype lessons yet, but my stepmom has used them.
I want to say it's something between 10 and 30 dollars for a half hour session, but I myself don't know for
sure. Thirty seems like it'd be a lot and ten seems kind of cheap to me, so i'm not sure.

But I had a realization, the word sí is also used as the object (like mí/ti) reflexively, haven't seen it much,
but it popped up a few times in my bilingual text. I stopped studying a long time ago but I feel like it's one of
the nuances that courses don't spend much time on... Before like a month ago I didn't even know the word
consigo existed.... But I guess that's what comes with rapid learning. I use them regularly now, but feel kind
of strange that I hadn't learned such simple things earlier on.

2 months, 12 days left

This discussion contains 24 messages over 3 pages: 2 3  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version