Typing in Korean

Language Learning Forum : Questions About Your Target Languages Post Reply
magic9man2
Diglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6425 days ago

149 posts - 153 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: Arabic (Written), Mandarin, French, Cantonese, Russian, Korean, Taiwanese, Arabic (Levantine)

Message 1 of 7
25 September 2010 at 9:19am | IP Logged 
Is is possible for me to type in Korean Hangul using the layout of my American keyboard? I understand that I am able to type on my keyboard using an original Korean keyboard layout, but I'd like to be able to type as I do in Japanese, with a Romanization system that applies Japanese, or in this case Korean, sounds to my "qwerty" layout. For example, ideally, my typing "ya" on my keyboard would yield the result of the hangul "ㅑ". Excuse me if my example wasn't accurate, my knowledge of the Korean language is still very limited. Thanks in advance for any responses.
1 person has voted this message useful

Doitsujin
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5116 days ago

1256 posts - 2363 votes 
Speaks: German*, English

Message 2 of 7
25 September 2010 at 10:11am | IP Logged 
magic9man2 wrote:
Is is possible for me to type in Korean Hangul using the layout of my American keyboard?
Yes, you'll need to install a so called Input Method Editor (IME). It's usually automatically installed, if you install the East Asian languages support files and add a Korean keyboard layout. For more information see this web site.

Edited by Doitsujin on 25 September 2010 at 10:13am

jimbo
Tetraglot
Canada
Joined 6090 days ago

469 posts - 642 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin, Korean, French
Studies: Japanese, Latin

Message 3 of 7
25 September 2010 at 2:55pm | IP Logged 
magic9man2 wrote:
Is is possible for me to type in Korean Hangul using the layout of my American keyboard? I
understand that I am able to type on my keyboard using an original Korean keyboard layout, but I'd like to be able
to type as I do in Japanese, with a Romanization system that applies Japanese, or in this case Korean, sounds to my
"qwerty" layout.

It took me a LONG time to take the plunge but trust me, it is easy to learn how to type using a regular Korean
keyboard. Korean is one of those languages where it, in my humble opinion, simply works better to use the
keyboard the locals use.

Personally, I use Hanyu Pinyin keyboards for Mandarin, Korean keyboards for Korean, and romaji for Japanese.
Works well.

Edited by jimbo on 26 September 2010 at 1:53am

2 persons have voted this message useful

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5331 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Korean, Japanese

Message 4 of 7
25 September 2010 at 7:09pm | IP Logged 
I'm not aware of any romanization input keyboard IMEs for Korean, which I suspect is partly due to the fact that Korean doesn't really romanize as directly as Japanese (particularly with the consonants that can change sound so readily). Regardless, it is definitely worth it in the long run to learn to type the 한글 directly. It actually takes me longer to type romanized words than the original Korean words now because when my mind thinks of a Korean word, my fingers instinctively starts heading for the correct 한글 letters.

If it helps: There are companies that make 한글 keyboard stickers (or even full keyboards with both English and 한글 letters on each key) to make the transition easier.

Quote:
For example, ideally, my typing "ya" on my keyboard would yield the result of the hangul "ㅑ".

That's actually a good example of why a romanized IME would be so tricky to implement. Should "ya" produce 야 (the word) or just ㅑ (the letter). If the latter, then how do you type a word like "yak" 약 (medicine)? ngyak?

Also it wouldn't be obvious to the IME system how to divide the syllable blocks without some separator character. If you type "mara" does it treat that as 말아 or 마라? Both are valid words with different meanings and both romanize to mara. In 한글 input mode, hitting the ㅇ character differentiates the two, but that character is silent and thus not included in the romanization.

Edited by Warp3 on 25 September 2010 at 7:16pm

The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5445 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Korean

Message 5 of 7
25 September 2010 at 7:42pm | IP Logged 
Typing in Korean is fairly simple. Just Google how to do it (though, if you have Windows 7, I'm not sure directions would be out yet.) Korean romanization sucks, and I'm glad it doesn't exist for typing, because it would end up slowing me down even more.

noriyuki_nomura
Bilingual Octoglot
Switzerland
Joined 5136 days ago

304 posts - 465 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin*, Japanese, FrenchC2, GermanC2, ItalianC1, SpanishB2, DutchB1
Studies: TurkishA1, Korean

Message 6 of 7
26 September 2010 at 3:01am | IP Logged 
Anyone knows how should one pronounce this word: 비밀 번호 ?

1. Bi - mil - bon - ho

or

2. Bi- mil - bo - no?

I sometimes still feel confused regarding Korean liason...

Thanks in advance!

Hanekawa
Diglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4968 days ago

30 posts - 36 votes
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Japanese, Korean

Message 7 of 7
29 September 2010 at 11:22pm | IP Logged 
http://www.amazon.com/Keyboard-Stickers-Transparent-Backgrou nd-Keyboards/dp/B002QOHASS

Buy something like this. I'm buying these stickers because their cheap :D They also have
them in different colours and stuff.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version